Since I am currently trying to take my mind of pending events (the adoption process of my son) I have take the time to convert a WDM driver (writting in C for Win2K) to Win32ASM code. At this point I have successfully compiled the Win32ASM code but not yet tested it, and as we all know it will run perfectly on the first try :rolleyes:

With that said, I was intersted in finding out how people would like to see this tut formated:
Posted on 2003-01-07 17:52:22 by madprgmr
I voted "A combination of Commented source code format and a MS Windows Programming Book". Commented source code would be great. The book format is of course not necessary, but if you offer it in addition, then why not :-)
Posted on 2003-01-07 18:47:48 by Frank
I agree as well.

Something like this is long overdue. I've been hacking at it from time to time, but every time is start, something else came along ;)

I look forward to your tutorial.. (whatever format you choose).
:alright:
NaN
Posted on 2003-01-07 19:45:25 by NaN
Some source code sometimes makes things much easier to understand, but sometimes one needs an little explatantion what the code does, comments and a pice of text (descibing why a pice of code is used, what t does, and what errors migth occur, or will occur if one of the varables is wrong, etc).
I voted for src+dummy (don't know how the M$ Windows Prog. boks are structurized, but the "For dummies"-books are (afaik) well structured).
Posted on 2003-01-07 23:45:57 by scientica

Since I am currently trying to take my mind of pending events (the adoption process of my son) I have take the time to convert a WDM driver (writting in C for Win2K) to Win32ASM code. At this point I have successfully compiled the Win32ASM code but not yet tested it, and as we all know it will run perfectly on the first try :rolleyes:

With that said, I was intersted in finding out how people would like to see this tut formated:

What does WDM stand for or signify?

Thanks

John
Posted on 2003-01-08 00:14:46 by cookj
Windows Driver Model:

Its the 98/NT/Win2000/XP version of the VxD (even tho 98 supporsts the VxD as well)... Microsoft is trying to phase out the use of the VxD and go entirely WDM for device drivers, however it will still be a while.

As well, WDM's are far more complicated to get the same job done. (( Which is why im personally looking forward to a MASM tutorial ~ to see one man's approach ;) ))

:alright:
NaN
Posted on 2003-01-08 00:32:19 by NaN
medium rare: very tender. don't like any of those chewey tutorials that are very chewey and usually end up biting off more than i can chew. please keep it gentle for script-kiddies like me ;)

edit: btw, i hope i can write "script-kiddie" without attracting the attention of a kitten with furry paws, rolly-polly penguin (who overstayed his welcome in my fridge :grin: ) , an ogre (which has more layered than a Torontonian in the North Pole), or other such wonderful creatures :grin:
Posted on 2003-01-08 00:41:41 by jademtech
wee...! thanks madprgm, i would interested in any kind of the tut ;)

regards
Posted on 2003-01-08 02:23:47 by dion
I'm currently writing huge article about programming Kernel Mode Drivers in masm.

If you understand russian you can read it.
I don't want to post link here. You know why.
Mail me i provide you with it.

Now there are 4 parts of the article.
I plan to write 4 parts more.

When i'll have finished i plan to post arc with all examples, includes, tools etc..
Hope it will be in 5-6 weeks.
Posted on 2003-01-08 05:20:55 by Four-F
I'm currently writing huge article about programming Kernel Mode Drivers in masm.

If you understand russian you can read it.
Yes, i would *love* to read it, but i don't speak Russian.... you could translate it into english, or i could put it through a translation website (ha ha ha ;) ).

Any tutorials about *any* type of drivers are good, keep it up guys.
Posted on 2003-01-08 05:29:12 by sluggy
I would like it in ITF ("Iczelion Tutorial Format")
Posted on 2003-01-08 05:37:43 by WinCC
you could translate it into english
I'm afraid it takes me TOO much time.
But i don't have it. :(
Posted on 2003-01-08 06:10:54 by Four-F
I thought a driver was someone who drove a car. :grin:

Conceptual data is usually the winner and then the capacity to make sense of source code. Iczelion did VxD tutes some time ago, WDM tutorials and information would be useful to many people so if you have the time to do them, they will not be wasted.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-01-08 06:11:50 by hutch--
madprgmr, I would love to read your tutorial too, in any form (although I voted for commented source + MS-format)! I was just looking for a good tutorial about this, but couldn't find any, what a luck!

When it's done, could you post a notice about it in this thread, so that the email notification of the board will make sure I don't miss out on it? Or do you have any URL where you already know that you will post it at? I'm just afraid that if you post it in a new thread here, I won't see it before it's flushed away by all other new threads, that's all. :(

Looking forward to it in any case!
Do you have any kind of time estimate btw?
Posted on 2003-01-08 06:53:17 by dELTA
Don't care in what format. ;) Just make it happen! :tongue:

Cheers,
JimmyClif
Posted on 2003-01-08 07:48:03 by JimmyClif
I created a driver once (partly), and I have to say that it is quite difficult to find any
good tutorials on WDM drivers. Anyway, I also like the ITF :grin:

Keep up the good work:alright:
Posted on 2003-01-08 08:56:51 by Guerrilla
WDM tut sounds awesome, I'd love to read it once you're done. ITF all the way! :)
Posted on 2003-01-08 16:03:06 by Miko
Four-F: If you understand russian you can read it.

I am sorry to say that I do not understand russian and the only means that I would have to read them would to be putting them through translation software and we all know how unjust that is :(

hutch--: so if you have the time to do them, they will not be wasted.

I am trying to make the time otherwise I am going to go even more crazy over all of this adoption stuff. The situation flips from bad to good in a heart beat. If I wasn't going bald already I would be now!

dELTA: Do you have any kind of time estimate btw?

I hope to have it done before Feb 14, 2003 but I am not sure if I will meet that deadline as I have only just finished the first version of the source code (which has not been tested yet) and only started the actual text document.
Posted on 2003-01-08 16:32:47 by madprgmr
...I would have to read them would to be putting them through translation software and we all
know how unjust that is
And this is the reason why i don't want to do blockish auto translation.
Till now i've never thought to translate my articles. But now i'm not sure i will not.
Anyway, i'll need a help of native-english people.
If someone of you guys could help, i would auto-translate it and correct by myself
using my poor english language knowledge, and than you correct the rest.
And i should notice the articles are quite big.

I hope to have it done before Feb 14, 2003
Sorry for may be stupid question, but what is the date Feb 14, 2003?
Posted on 2003-01-09 06:11:11 by Four-F
Originally posted by Four-F
Sorry for may be stupid question, but what is the date Feb 14, 2003?

Valentine Day ?

(*g*)
Posted on 2003-01-09 07:18:29 by JimmyClif