Are there any useful resources for those who want to create a database in assembler in the net?
Posted on 2003-01-14 09:57:10 by longer
mysql, postgresql,sqlite, firebird. many others, all open source.
Posted on 2003-01-14 10:12:26 by Hiroshimator
:confused:
Thanks for your reply, Hiroshimator, but maybe you can suggest anything else. I know too little about databases, only general information that anyone does. I never worked with them. Maybe there are some FAQs, tutorials or anything else exactly for asm-coders on this topic.
Posted on 2003-01-14 11:42:23 by longer
Iczillions ODBC tutorials would be a good place to start.

http://spiff.tripnet.se/~iczelion/odbc1.html
Posted on 2003-01-14 11:55:13 by Qweerdy
Are there any useful resources for those who want to create a database in assembler in the net?
You are not exactly clear about what you want to do. Do you want to create a new database engine in asm? Or are you wanting to connect to a database engine, i.e. Access or SQLServer, and instruct them to create a new database?

And you say you have never worked with databases? Which means your first time you will be trying to do it with asm???
Posted on 2003-01-14 17:44:51 by sluggy
also for a database made completely in asm look for ocelot database

I'd check sqlite first though (it's small)

as for workin,g with them, learn SQL. next learn ADO. best is to write scripts in say vbscript so you can advance and test quickly.

then after you've done that pick your DB and use native APIs, odbc or ado.
Posted on 2003-01-14 20:01:33 by Hiroshimator
TSUNAMI Record Manager

; TRMDEMO.ASM
; Version 1.0 by Phil Wilson AKA Scronty here
;
; Public domain for Masm32 ... Advantage Systems - 12-SEPT-2002
;
; Demonstration of using the Tsunami Record Manager (TRM.DLL) in Masm32.

Unless you mean that you want to create a database backend in MASM?

Regards, P1
Posted on 2003-01-15 09:08:29 by Pone
Thanks for your replies!

You are not exactly clear about what you want to do. Do you want to create a new database engine in asm? Or are you wanting to connect to a database engine, i.e. Access or SQLServer, and instruct them to create a new database?

I'm interested in connecting to a database engine as well as in writing my own one. Of course, the connecting is the first thing I must master.

And you say you have never worked with databases? Which means your first time you will be trying to do it with asm???

I already created some programs working with databases from the time I started this thread, but I did it in VB. And it didn't give me any idea of how do databases really work. That's why I decided to ask asm-gurus for an advice.

Iczillions ODBC tutorials would be a good place to start.

The eternal place to start indeed they are! :)

Well, your advice are enough to begin with.
Thanks everyone again.
Posted on 2003-01-15 12:50:51 by longer