Hi ! :)
I have sometimes the error message " Write failed ".
Problem is that even though the error of programming is rectified I can not compile any more.
I am obliged to relaunch Windows to continue to program and it is very annoying. :(
A possible solution of this problem?
Friendly.....Gges
Posted on 2003-01-19 08:36:19 by Asmgges
Be sure your program is still not running...
Ctrl+alt+suppr...

Btw, this is not a FASM-specific question : moved to Main.
Posted on 2003-01-19 08:43:12 by JCP
Readiosys:)

MOVED :grin:
Btw, this is not a FASM-specific question

I clarify while I use FASMW 144
THANK Friend
Friendly ....... Gges
Posted on 2003-01-19 09:08:30 by Asmgges
he just means that it's like that with all compilers and assemblers :)
they can't recreate your executable if it is in use.
Posted on 2003-01-19 09:09:46 by Hiroshimator
But I am in compilation not in execution.....
Posted on 2003-01-19 09:14:39 by Asmgges
exactly. When your executable is loaded in then it has a lock so the filesystem will not alter it in case the code needs to be reloaded/loaded. Once the program quits the lock is terminated and the executable can be overwritten.
Posted on 2003-01-19 09:18:06 by Hiroshimator
I have to make with then.....
Damage I would make so without....:(
I have not this inconvenience with another compiler
Thank Hiro:)
Friendly..........Gges
Posted on 2003-01-19 09:44:12 by Asmgges
is your process still running?

try to assemble it to an exe with another name. that should work. If it doesn't then your fasm is malfunctioning somehow.
Posted on 2003-01-19 09:48:38 by Hiroshimator
If the program crashes, it is not always sure the process is still not active !
ANY program (FASM, VC, whatever you want) is then unable to write to it !
The only thing to do in that case is to kill the process to recompile the program.

If pushing ctrl+alt+suppr is too much inconvenient for you, download some sort of process killer either by tray menu or command-line... or never make you program crash...

If it is not the problem, precise your question and the context of your problem.
Posted on 2003-01-19 09:50:43 by JCP
if he's on windows 9x then pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL won't always help a lot if the process terminates and is no longer in the list.
Posted on 2003-01-19 09:58:44 by Hiroshimator
When occurs error " Write failed " would it be possible to stop automatically the program which creates a problem instead of letting him work in memory and to make ctrl / alt / supp?

Friend Readiosys be not irritated, remain cool! :)

Friendly......Gges
Posted on 2003-01-19 11:32:14 by Asmgges
Use a command-line task killer utility and put it on your IDE built option/make file or whatever you use...

As being irritated, I am when I think I answer a question and I see my answer is completely ignored without any try of the solution.
Posted on 2003-01-19 11:43:46 by JCP
Yes Readiosys I followed your advices and I stopped failing program before recompiling and it works perfectly. :)
I am going now to apply your last one post
I thank you sincerely.
Friendly.....Gges
Posted on 2003-01-19 11:59:02 by Asmgges
Asmgges,

i will let you in on a little secret, I have recently finished an in memory dialog template system for MASM32 and in the development of it on win98se, I was getting crashes that took out the OS with a black screen and no warning or information why it happened.

With the lesser crashes and there were many until I got the alignment right, you had to go looking to see if the dead example was still in memory and then try and kill it if the OS did not crash in the meantime.

We all go through problems like this from time to time so its no big deal and our moderators have learnt this themselves so when they pass you some advice on how to approach it, it usaually comes from experience in the problem they have had themselves.

Just keep up the good work.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-01-20 06:18:54 by hutch--
ah, the joys of developing on 9x ;).
Only time I've been able to take out win2k with my own code has been when doing kernel-mode stuff... 9x was a pain. NULL pointer? b00m, parts of the OS crash. some GDI leak? b00m, BSOD. etc etc etc.
Posted on 2003-01-20 08:37:42 by f0dder
Hi! hutch f0dder :)
Yes programming is sometimes a pain but I love also this pain.
I preserve Windows95 as the others preserve their old car or their women (I preserve also my wife).:)
The day will come or I would change version of Windows (but I would not change a wife).:tongue:
Thank to you all who live the assembler.
Friendly......Gges
Posted on 2003-01-20 09:19:36 by Asmgges
if you got a strong enough machine (and, most important, enough ram), upgrading ton win2k professional is the thing to do. might take a bit adjusting to it, but you will probably appreciate the stability.
Posted on 2003-01-20 09:24:23 by f0dder
It is the good useful advice that I would follow.
Thank :)
Friendly......Gges
Posted on 2003-01-20 09:46:43 by Asmgges
f0dder,

You know when you have "PHUKT it up" big time when you don't get a BSOD, you get a BLACK screen with no warning and no results at all. It surprised me that the dialog engine was that intolerant, on win9x, it will be old code but I did not expect a dialog template alignment error to take it out that fast.

Asmgges,

I still run my internet box on win95b and it is my favourite but its the only machine old enough to do it on, my PIV will not run it as the drivers for the board start at win98.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-01-20 17:20:27 by hutch--