No...

Im too busy to maintain a web-site... mostly i find it irratating to code (HTML is boring and slow).

Sorry.. but untill i find time to (1) make a web-tool to make updates fast and ez, and (2) find a web-site that will be somewhat consistant with their rules and policies, the site will be down...

:NaN:
Posted on 2003-01-26 22:10:56 by NaN
dion,

did you finally find the "properties" dialog? Or are you really able to understand the "docs" coming with comview without seeing the running prog? Unbelievable!

About your question: COMView's main purpose isnt being a programming environment. The only purpose of the example is to show how to use the generated ASM includes. And for that it may be sufficient, isn't it?

Japheth
Posted on 2003-01-27 11:11:48 by japheth
thanks japhet, i understood it. currently i'm learning DBMS that utilize this COM extensively. about "properties" dialog, actually... *no*. i just understood the general point of view of what your tools could do.
Posted on 2003-01-27 20:17:22 by dion
hey japhet, i found that hidden "properties" dialog. i played a while with MSXP component, msie, richedit, bla..bla...
btw, i dont know what do you mean really with "walk". i dont find any sign that i could walk. maybe by clicking properties menu, that mean walk? uhm... do only COCLASS that can be instantiated?

and why i cant resize the instantiated COM object? it would be nice tho. and one again, sometime when i close the prop.page, the comview window became minimized all .
Posted on 2003-01-28 05:12:51 by dion
dion,

congratulations (now you have come so far you may find the last step by yourself as well ;) ). No, I dont mean any menu (this beta version has no menu in the properties dialog). But to be able to walk your object has to expose an object hierarchy. If this is the case, at least one entry in the dialog list view should be marked as . This entry can be double-clicked then.

As an example (if I knew how to upload images this would be somewhat easier to explain :) ): MS word exposes the "application" object, which in turn exposes property "documents". By double-clicking this property you may switch (or "walk") from "application" to "documents". (And from there to "document", "sentence", "range",...). Of course, some simplier COM objects wont feel the need for such things.

About resizing: this is a beta, the final version will allow resizing

Japheth
Posted on 2003-01-28 16:17:02 by japheth
NaN,

considered your suggestion about generating code. But currently didnt find a solution which will be of general interest. The code generated would be either trivial of rather complicated, in any case nothing a beginner in COM would benefit from viewing it. And a more experienced user should always know hows the functions looks like he is calling from within comview. So the only real usage would be to be able to "replay" the macro, but for that to work properly expense would be considerable.

Japheth
Posted on 2003-01-29 05:23:52 by japheth
I was gettin at something like this.

If i say manually requested a get property thru your tool on a Range interface (with excel) the tool in a text bar would place:
       invoke MakeInvokeString, 2, VT_I4, VT_I4

invoke dm([pInterface], Range, get_Item), VT_DISPATCH, ADDR [out], [Param1], [Param2]

Then i can simply cut and paste, and link together all that i need. Its real savings is ensuring the parameters are set up correctly. To me this is an asset, saving time cross checking a big include to ensure i got the params in the right order and type.

:NaN:
Posted on 2003-01-29 18:47:51 by NaN