Afternoon, All.

Just wondering what the different types/kinds of editors would/could be used for game development?

So far, I've got:
Script editor.
Level (tiled) editor.
Level (3d) editor.
A.I editor.
Model editor.

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2003-01-22 15:30:15 by Scronty
For 2D games
--------------------
Well, i only use a renderer for sprites ;) but HE is mainly a 2D game now . However an free good modeler and renderer (to bitmps sequence, with a "do not antialias against background" option) will help a lot.

I can see POV-Ray as the best freeware renderer... but i still have to serach for the "free best modeler" (or do it myself ... eh)

For 3D games
-------------------
Besides what you already have i could only add a BVH/Motion editor/Caracter Animator.

In 3D games using caracters one could get a lot of help form a motion interpolation mixing/editing of motio keyframes ... like slowly (interpolating) going from run cycle to stop or jump mode ...

I can not find a reason for AI editor, i still think AI has a lot to improve those days and can not be so easy "edited"...i like to code it by hand via state machines and (in my dreams via real time NNetworks)

But a "Scenario editor" with events/triggers/conditions/branches could be very handy ...

All in ASM and open source of course hehe :D

BTW. Later on I intend to add modeling features to my just starting realtime Raytracer
Posted on 2003-01-22 16:29:30 by BogdanOntanu
:eek: You forgots the vertex/pixel shader editor!!!
Posted on 2003-01-25 13:48:15 by IFooBar

:eek: You forgots the vertex/pixel shader editor!!!

Well... couldn't this be done by hand using a text editor?

As for a modeller... damn that's what I need. Character animation too. What I intend to do, anyway, is to store the vertices for each 'frame' of the animation sequence for each character, and at run-time interpolate the vertices (probably using quadratic interpolation, but linear might be good enough). It looks like what I intend to do will be a little too complex for my brain though.
Posted on 2003-01-25 19:05:05 by AmkG
Specialized bitmap 2d/3d editors allowing:
voxel heightmap editing (vertical displacements at preset multiplier)
voxel displacement map editing (RGB represent XYZ incremental displacement vectors, A is multiplier of RGB vector)
3dpainting on a uv mapped model to n textures (reverse uv mapping)
would be nice :)
Posted on 2003-01-26 08:32:17 by Homer
:eek: Posted on 2003-01-26 20:32:19 by AmkG

Pixel = Picture Element (a point in a 2D space)
Voxel = Volume Element (a point in a 3D space)

e.g., you have 64x64 pixels in a 2D image, or 64x64x64 voxels in a (true) 3D image.

Voxels are much used e.g. in medicine (3D body scans).

They should not be confused with "voxelspace", a "fake voxel" landscape technique brought into the public by the game Comanche.
Posted on 2003-01-27 06:13:53 by Maverick