.code

OpenInternetAdress proc Adress:DWORD
invoke InternetOpen,offset szMiniLogin,INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_PRECONFIG,0,0,0
mov [hInternet],eax
invoke InternetOpenUrl, [hInternet],Adress,0,0,INTERNET_FLAG_RELOAD, 0
invoke InternetCloseHandle,[hInternet]
ret
OpenInternetAdress endp

...unfortunately it will not work if the user hasn't internet explorer installed, so I was wondering if there is something similar like the InternetOpenUrl API when using winsock instead of wininet. I don't know anything about winsock, so I would apprechiate a small example.

Thanks
Posted on 2003-01-28 05:40:03 by Delight
...unfortunately it will not work if the user hasn't internet explorer installed

Are there still users without internet explorer installed :) ?
Seriously, I don't think this is a problem. The internet API requires IE 3.0 (most functions) on NT 4 / win95 and even CE so requirements are quite low. Also many widely used features like some common controls require even higher IE versions. Internet Explorer is more than just the browser, many system components and applications rely on it.

If you really want to use winsock (it does improve your winsock skills :) ), lookup the HTTP RFC at rfc-editor.org (quite large), there are some HTTP examples on Iczelion's site and I can also recommend you this site:
http://www.jmarshall.com/easy/http/

Thomas
Posted on 2003-01-28 09:37:48 by Thomas
I suppose you're right, but I know many people that are "microsoft-haters" and refuses to have internet explorer installed, do you think they have that dll too? It's acctually not a big problem, it's just that I don't like the feeling of that some people may have problems using my software (even though I only do apps for personal use :tongue: ). I started reading all the winsock docs a year ago but the work so tedious that I decided I didn't need that knowledge :)
Posted on 2003-01-28 13:20:15 by Delight
I'm no microsoft hater, but I use Opera (Still have IE installed of course - Like I have a choice)
Posted on 2003-02-04 03:40:59 by IRBMe