Reading vol 2, chapter 2.11 re CONSOLE module
In past lives--specifically on old IBM mainframes with differing (and adjustable) terminal sizes--I have found it useful to know what the current window size is ( max x or max y) . The text doesn't mention it and I don't see it in the 1.41 library. Am I overlooking something?
Posted on 2003-02-01 16:25:44 by benanne12

Reading vol 2, chapter 2.11 re CONSOLE module
In past lives--specifically on old IBM mainframes with differing (and adjustable) terminal sizes--I have found it useful to know what the current window size is ( max x or max y) . The text doesn't mention it and I don't see it in the 1.41 library. Am I overlooking something?

Well...
The console module was about half complete when I decided it wasn't worth pursuing.
The problem is, the calls are *sooooo* Windows specific and I'd made the decision to support multiple OSes while working on the Standard Library.

Returning the current window (versus buffer size) was on my list of things to do when I pretty much abandoned the console module. IIRC, it was exactly obvious or trivial how to do it via Win32 API calls (which is why it didn't make it in there in the first pass.

Someday, I *may* wind up doing a simplified version of the console module along the line of curses under *NIX. However, that's obviously going to be a lowest common denominator approach (in order to properly support multiple OSes.).

In the mean time, I recommend that you take a look at the following document:
http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/Page_win32/kernelref.pdf
Search for "console" in this document. It'll give you the list of all the console calls that Win32 supports (there are calls that return data structures you can use to determine
what you're searching for). Sorry, I don't remember the calls you'd want to use (I
haven't looked at the console API in about two years).

Be ye forewarned, I'm depreciating the console library (as it currently exists) in the HLA Standard Library (e.g., the published version of AoA32 doesn't mention it). So don't count on it hanging around.

Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-02-01 20:17:49 by rhyde