here is the how to where I found out about rewriting ethernet card eeproms
http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/howto/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO/

what program you use depends on what card you have
but this HOWTO gives ftp addresses of where to get programs to configure ethernet cards
(i.e. rewrite the eeproms)

look under configuring ethernet cards

this needle wasen't easy to find

your welcome

hay Jadeamtech
it was a misspelling sorry
Posted on 2003-02-16 01:58:19 by rob.rice
Posted on 2003-02-16 02:53:49 by bazik
the GOOD poeple trying to help people
the BAD a holy war
the UGLY windows
Posted on 2003-02-16 13:43:46 by rob.rice

the GOOD poeple trying to help people
the BAD a holy war
the UGLY windows

"...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)." -Matt Welsh
Posted on 2003-02-16 15:11:56 by bazik
win NT is great for its purpose, linux usually is great for its price. Just use whatever you like best and you'll be fine :p
Posted on 2003-02-16 16:25:40 by Hiroshimator

win NT is great for its purpose, linux usually is great for its price. Just use whatever you like best and you'll be fine :p

the lesser of several evils ;)
Posted on 2003-02-16 17:08:57 by jademtech
the worest part of the problems with windows is alot of kids will grow up not knowing how much fun computers
can be my sister got an xp computer for Xmas and has had to have xp reinstalled 4 times her kids are afrade to touch the computer because thay might messup windows

thay come to so thay can play with a computer thay can't mess up and even if thay do I will not get mad at them I will just fix what ever is wrong
Posted on 2003-02-19 17:39:59 by rob.rice
you wouldn't give kids 'root', you shouldn't give them 'Administrator' either.

Windows works the same as linux in this regard. Lock it down, let it do only what it's supposed to do for each user.
Posted on 2003-02-19 18:15:38 by Hiroshimator
Problem with XP is it is an NT OS and only power users or companies used NT. Many folks have been using Win9.x and get a new computer or see this mickey mouse OS and say, cool I want that.... They do not know what an Admin is. I fixed so many XP computers because the users started using it as Admin out of the box.. I create a normal account for them and they say why, and go back to the admin account... and screw it up again...
Posted on 2003-02-19 20:43:53 by Gunner

Problem with XP is it is an NT OS and only power users or companies used NT. Many folks have been using Win9.x and get a new computer or see this mickey mouse OS and say, cool I want that.... They do not know what an Admin is. I fixed so many XP computers because the users started using it as Admin out of the box.. I create a normal account for them and they say why, and go back to the admin account... and screw it up again...

i've spent time helping other people install new hardware/troubleshooting... however, most of these people had someone set up their computer... guess what? they don't know the administrator's password. an awful pain. Yes, i had physical access to the computer and the capability of booting to floppy, etc. but that's just more effort than its worth. in another case, i had an admin account, but no password for it. problem solved: use the user "configurator" to change the admin's password: no password needed :)
Posted on 2003-02-19 21:56:54 by jademtech
NO I don't give the kids root access on my computers
I DO NOT touch my sister's computer it is sitll under warrnty from a mom and pop computer store who has done the repars for free ( this is there way to compete with the big computer stores and why my sister's boy frind bought the computer them in the first place)

But this is how the computer came out of the box
I will advise my syster to setup user accounts

am I alone in thinking that microshaft left the bugs in
windows as a way of makeing money

don't thay sell books on how to fix it
don't thay sell traning on how to work around the faults of the system and how to fix it
Posted on 2003-02-20 12:51:52 by rob.rice
oh no, if you play around in root all day then it's Linus that lets the bugs in. that's clear.

It's extremely hard to remove certain errors. Best way I've found 'till now was to remove the chair out of the equation. :grin:
Posted on 2003-02-20 13:22:23 by Hiroshimator
rob,

there are a lot of resources out there on the web on how to fix certain problems. Try searching a newgroup, search google, search microsoft.com, search linux messageboards, security messageboards... you don't need a book out there to solve a problem.

I can see you're annoyed that most virus affects windows machine... 1-900 pr0n dialers ....

1. First of all, let me say that not all softwares are 100% perfect.
2. On servers, remember the old motto of virii spreaders and crackers :: "We fish on the pond where all the fish go." This simply means that most security vulnerabilities are being exploited on windows since windows is the most dominant OS. When the majority of users shifts to another OS, so will these virii spreaders, crackers shifts their focus on another OS.
3. Virus nowadays are spread because of user unawareness. I don't want to call them stupid or ignorant because I don't expect all people to be technically savvy on security. Most of the users who are unaware of these potential problems who uses windows will click on anything, download anything, install anything.

We can call it Social Engineering... not programming expertise...

4. Security patches are posted on OS's vendors website. At the most, every 2 weeks you should check out these patches.
5. Applications that lets Windows hangs or gives you the BSOD(blue) or BSOD(black), are mostly applications bundled with crappy drivers or applications whose routines are not designed well. One of the fault with the OS is when it does not implement a very good exception handling, some are hardware faults........ If you want to use a windows system, I suggest you use an NT system preferably windows 2000.
6. Always install a firewall E.G. Tiny Personal Firewall
7. Always install an anti virus program. I suggets you take a look at Eset's Nod32 or Kaspersky's AVP or Dr. Web or FPROT... IMO, the first 2 are the best.
8. Use a web mail.
9. Run ad-aware bi monthly.
10. Use a browser other than IE ... e.g. Opera (has a built in popup blocker)
11. Don't visit cr*cking, virii, pr0n related sites... if you see a webpage with flashing, big font size text that reads "$$$$" , "Win $ 1, 000, 000.00 dollars" or a sound that says "I've got a secret website, that is so hardcore ... banged every which way .... press p ...." .... leave immediately. :grin:
12. Delete immedietly any attachments if you are not expecting anything.
13. If you see an email with attachments that says "Hi, here's the picture of my house you asked for..." delete it, if you didn't expect any pictures.
14. When a site automatically downloads a file to your PC without you knowing what that file is about, cancel the download.
15. Always make sure everything is up to date(applications not just the OS itself) ... patches applied ...
16. Never run an executable if your unsure of its source or if you think you downloaded it from an untrusted website.
17. Some software that are available for download has a checksum(crc32, md5 ...) posted on the website or included on the .zip file that will let you check if that .exe you are downloading is really the intended .exe and to make sure none have made modifications....
18. Run an "OS emulator" like VirtualPC...
19. Always backup
20. When you surf a site, before you click on the link always make sure you know where that link will take you. You can check that out on the status bar of your browser. If suspect anything on the name listed on the status bar don't click on the link.

There are still a lot of things to do and to consider..... all of these things will just come intuitively in a matter of time.

If your careful, you don't even need all these steps except for patches and a firewall. Of course some can get away without a firewall but it's too risky IMO.

:)

btw, you can post on the heap forum, there will be people who might help you on some problems.

p.s. don't use netscape either... if you don't want opera because it's commercial try using the Mozilla Browser or Phoenix...

Posted on 2003-02-20 14:05:33 by arkane
good advice I have printed out a copy of your last post and will give it to my sister

keeping the peace with my sister is worth more than access to her computer IF I touch her computer and something goes wrong down the road it will be my fualt
that is just the way she is sorry to say

to hiroshimator
I diden't do it the computer should have ben set up with
user accouts in the first place like out of the box

I don't know why it had to be reinstalled 3times just the once when she tryed to run that demo from the system disks
who's fault was it that that a demo like that was on the system disk in the first place

I diden't mean "windows washers" as an insult after all one has to be brave to wash windows on tall buildings in the first place it's just the shortest name I can think of for some one who can clean up messes on windows systems
Posted on 2003-02-20 15:08:30 by rob.rice
haha my sister is like that too

"the computer did it! the computer did it! All by itself? yes!!"

and later it's "all your fault because blablabla *insert moronic babbling*" :grin:

She manages to break linux quite a lot, it's a gift hehehe
Posted on 2003-02-20 15:26:26 by Hiroshimator
I'm a BSD Zealot.... Sorry couldn't help... :grin:

ooooo bazik, is going to be pissed off.... ^_^

http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcone/bsdversuslinux.html
http://www.linuxisforbitches.com/bsdvlinux.php
Posted on 2003-02-20 15:41:30 by arkane
he'll do this to you :p

Posted on 2003-02-20 16:31:13 by Hiroshimator
hay hiroshimator

I guess she runs as root all the time I did until I ran

rm -r /bin

that fixed me of that real quick
Posted on 2003-02-20 17:16:31 by rob.rice
of course she doesn't run root

dear god, the mayhem she could do with that :eek:
Posted on 2003-02-20 17:40:42 by Hiroshimator
must be a gift

well look at the bright side of it
she could get a well paying job at IBM helping them bulletprof ther linux servers
Posted on 2003-02-20 17:46:17 by rob.rice