Rob,

If you want to make your sister's Windows computer so it more or less idiot proof, see if you can get Win2k installed instead.

Get everything up and going, internet, apps etc ... then get the Tweakui version for win2k and set it up so it automatically loads the password and user name at startup. Set this to a user profile that is NOT administrator and define what can be done in that profile.

Exclude stuff like the control panel and any chance of messing around with running services but have it boot up automatically with everything working and running.

See if you can find a firewall that only allows what is set in rules to pass and exclude EVERYTHING that is not needed. It will prevent worms like OPASERV.

When you are satisfied that it is all up and going properly, get some software that does a logical drive image, Norton GHOST works on win9x but I don't know what you use with NT/2K/XP.

This way if they trash it again with some crap download or get it infected with a virus/worm, you can restore it in a few minutes. What does help here is to set the machine up as FAT32 and partition the machine so that the boot drive with the OS is not all that large. Probably not bigger than about 4 or 5 gig so that the drive image file does not end up too big.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-02-20 18:16:42 by hutch--
hay arkame
here is some assembly source that shows how close
BSD and linux are to each other

http://linuxassembly.org/asmutils.html

assembl add your BSD kernal and you have a BSD system on a floppy
Posted on 2003-02-20 18:27:40 by rob.rice
the only good OS is DOS. period.
Posted on 2003-03-13 13:21:15 by Kobra
Does anyone know how to get rid of the military time for the windows clock?
Posted on 2003-03-13 13:47:52 by HeXeN
I think that's in the Control Panel: Regional and Language Options.
Posted on 2003-03-13 18:00:56 by MANT
You were correct.. thanks :)
Posted on 2003-03-13 18:51:01 by HeXeN
I like PC's because they have those ultracomplicated two-button mice that inflate my massive programmer ego everytime I right-click. (Yes, I am refering to the Mac "Switch" ads where the woman complains about having two-button mice).

:stupid:
Posted on 2003-03-25 11:20:38 by Paulicles the Philosopher
haha after those switch ads I'd be ashamed to be seen with a MAC

'Hi I'm a moron and I use a MAC. You can also use a MAC and be associated with people like me'.

Or to quote Ellen Feis "the computer went meeep meeep meeep....." :grin:
Posted on 2003-03-25 12:20:08 by Hiroshimator
I once read something on Wired.com that stated that psychology has a role in preference.

Look at this:

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,56578,00.html
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,56575,00.html

I have also noted that they use a lot of historial figures in Mac ads: Pablo Picasso, Amelia Earhart, etc. What do these people have to do with computers? I know the idea is that they were rebels, but come on...
Posted on 2003-03-25 17:47:26 by Paulicles the Philosopher
HAY I have a Fat MAC and my new used computer has a two button mouse !!!!
Posted on 2003-03-31 17:25:18 by rob.rice
Paulicles the Philosopher links actually holds true on most mac-nazis.

Try saying bad things about mac, in the presence of mac-nazis, most likely you'll get your head cut off in a matter of seconds... :tongue: believe me, I nearly "died" from a "riot" I caused 2 years ago. :grin:

same thing goes to <insert OS name>-nazis. :grin:
Posted on 2003-03-31 20:34:07 by arkane

Paulicles the Philosopher links actually holds true on most mac-nazis.

Try saying bad things about mac, in the presence of mac-nazis, most likely you'll get your head cut off in a matter of seconds... :tongue: believe me, I nearly "died" from a "riot" I caused 2 years ago. :grin:

same thing goes to <insert OS name>-nazis. :grin:

like f0dder and windows ?:grin:
Posted on 2003-04-21 20:35:05 by rob.rice
well, around me, you're just asking to be turned into a switcher (given a speil, anyway) or at the very least, you risk some very angry staring :grin:
Posted on 2003-04-21 21:59:06 by jademtech
Said in a low uncertain voice.
HAY* man, you can use a MAC if you are as dumb as I am.

Resonse to memory allocation on an old MAC.
"Whats tit got to do with it ? (mammary)

"You mean I have to use that thing with all the buttons, why doesn't this thing do what I think ?".

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com

* Like wot horses eat !
Posted on 2003-04-22 08:59:00 by hutch--
haha maclots are usually designer guys. They're thin and pale.

it's great when they try to argue technically.

Let's face it, APPLE is a religion.
Posted on 2003-04-22 09:19:38 by Hiroshimator
the name of this thread should be changed to

I hate *.* (or in linux ) I hate *

I started this thread to rant about windows
and there have ben alot of rants about other things
OH well at least there has ben little ranting about each other
Posted on 2003-04-24 21:26:16 by rob.rice
I wonder why Microsoft purposely made xp home edition crash and Professional edition crash so little. They sell professional edition at a higher price.It is in Microsoft's "Top 10 reasons to use Professional Edition".Yet in "Top 10 reasons to use Home edition is that you can log out and log in easily. On Professional edition it is also easy. They want money.
Posted on 2003-04-29 03:35:04 by chirbyji
I used XP Pro for 6 months, then used XP Home for 6 months. Neither one crashed on me very much at all. The few crashes that did happen seem to have been caused by a bad video card/driver. Once I replaced the card, no more crashes.
Posted on 2003-04-29 09:09:49 by MANT
Actually, I also use XP home, but I found that I ended all USER=user(not SYSTEM) processes but explorer.exe and navapw32(norton antivirus), the memory usage was more than I ended all those processes(e.g MSCStat.exe, msgplus.exe, rundll32.exe WZQPICK.exe,wuacult.exe) in XP professional(on another computer).
Posted on 2003-04-30 03:00:29 by chirbyji
Linux = not for the timid - freedom
Microsoft = for the rich - Hitler would be proud
Mac = do I pull this thing with the cord ? - playschool

I feel that Linux is one of the best OS's on the market, and you CANNOT beat the
price. I do believe that it is a programmer environment, and not for the novice. Yes,
I do agree that linux does far out weight microsoft. The only gripe I had with linux
is the hardware compatibility, but one of the nice features is that it is very friendly
with older hardware. Microsoft cannot wait to obsolete things.
However, I am currently running XP Home and have found that it is one of Microsofts
most reliable and fastest OS's so far. (NOT Saying much)
Posted on 2003-08-07 10:41:50 by SpEcIeS