let's indulge ourselves.

post your best delicious recipes here. can be of any dish.
Posted on 2003-02-14 15:19:46 by Hiroshimator
Here's mine

The worlds greatest Lasagna

MEAT LAYER

1 1/2 lb Medium Ground Beef
4 Hot Italian Sausages (Remove the casings, just the insides are used)
15 oz can of Tomato Paste
Cayene Pepper (just a pinch)
Black Pepper ( to taste)
Celery powder (1/2 teaspoon)
Oregano (1/4 teaspoon)
Thyme (a pinch)
2 medium Bay Leaves
1 medium Onion (finely chopped)
2 Celery Stalks (finely Chopped)
1 Cup dry red wine
2 or 3 garlic feet minced (I think thats what the segments are called)

Mix the the onion, celery, spices and meats together and brown, add wine, simmer for a few minutes then turn in the tomato paste, simmer a few more minutes. Be sure to remove the bay leaves when your done. You can also put in sliced mushrooms. Also, I don't use salt (there is usually aready enough in the ingredients for my taste) but you might want to add some.

CHEESE LAYER 1

1 lb Cream Cheese
1 cup Parmessan Cheese
1/4 cup of dried parsely
1 egg

Mix all of these together in a blender

CHEESE LAYER 2

Grated Mozerella cheese

Set up the layers as follows

Pasta
Meat layer
Cheese layer 1
Cheese Layer 2

Repeat until you run out of stuff. The top layer should have just the pasta and meat but reserve enough Cheese layer 2 for one more layer. Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil and cook for about 30 minutes at 425. Remove the foil and put on the last cheese layer 2 then cook for another 15 minutes.

This is by far the favorite of my family, everybody seems to show up when I make it. The measurements are approximate by the way, I just tend to improvise when I make it (like today).

Donkey

EDIT : Just a little note : you really have to blend the two meats together so they're like one type of meat, I get in there with my hands and blend them.
Posted on 2003-02-14 17:16:31 by donkey
why would you have the cheese on the bottom?
Posted on 2003-02-14 17:53:24 by Qages

why would you have the cheese on the bottom?

Cheese on the bottom ???

Put a layer of pasta first, a layer of meat second, a layer of Cheese 1 then a layer of cheese two. repeat
Posted on 2003-02-14 18:16:52 by donkey
Yesterday I made spagetti with Italian sausage. I improvise most of the way. Start pot of water for noodles - this way it will be boiling at the right time. Next brown the sausage (ie very hot for a short time) and slice small. I like a thick sauce - chop up tomatoes, onions, garlic, (I didn't have any bell peppers, but would have added one), and cook slow with tomato paste and spices (oregano, pepper, etc). Bring to a boil, add sausage and turn down to simmer. Add noodles to boiling water - watch carefully and test for semi-soft - this usually is a good time to make the salad and garlic toast. Quickly, cool the noodles when they are done so they don't overheat. Serve. :) Took me less than an hour because of optimization. :tongue: All were pleased and well fed!
Posted on 2003-02-14 20:56:33 by bitRAKE
I wonder if you guys would be willing to try a Filipino dish...?

It's called 'adobo'... and it keeps for a long time... (an advantage in a tropical climate, and points to its invention before the refrigerator reached the Philippines)

It's got a nice salty-sour taste (not sure if it's acquired though, but I like it A LOT...)

Half a kilo of pork (or chicken) sliced in about 1-inch cubes. (or better yet, 1.25x1x0.75 inch rectangular prisms. for pork. For chicken... just slice it to about the size of the wings...)
A half cup of soy sauce (Not sure if Worcestershire would do, but I doubt it will)
1/4 cup of vinegar
1/4 cup of water
2 tbsp sugar (adjust to taste, this is quite salty)
2 cloves garlic, crushed (more is actually better, as long as it's less than 10 cloves...)
ground pepper
'laurel' or bay leaf (dried, fresh is better if you have them)

Just put it all in a pot, place it on the fire until it boils (You don't even have to dissolve the sugar...). Then lower the fire and simmer for about 15 minutes. Mix periodically while bringing to boil and simmering (well actually I don't really mix it more than twice while cooking....)

Serve with rice. ;) ;) :cool:

(There are actually as many variants of adobo as there are Filipino families, this is our family's variant.)
Posted on 2003-02-15 03:40:22 by AmkG
Posted on 2003-02-17 06:34:05 by gliptic
Hi ya guys~

LTNS ... Since my last post I've moved to a place closer to my job so I've been busy getting set up
here and the place I work has been jumpin' because of the after holidays claims, a massive remodel,
and an impending inventory.

Seems like I don't have time to scratch my ... um, ... anything lately. :grin:

Anyway, I get a lot of nice recipes from this site:

http://www.recipesource.com/
Posted on 2003-02-20 19:13:52 by Kydwyn
bitRAKE, I'm not actually sure. The 'normal' vinegar we use here, which is clear, smells sharp, but isn't exactly pungent. I think it's cane vinegar.

As it happens that mix can also be used as a marinate for barbecue.;) ;) :grin:

In fact if you forget about it and leave it on the fire, it's gonna look a lot like pork barbecue.
Posted on 2003-02-21 02:04:14 by AmkG
I dont know where your from, or how readily the ingredients are available, but:

1 box Aunt Jemima pancake mix (just add water)
1 Aunt Jemima maple syrup.
1 or 2 golden delisious apples.

Mix a batter together with water and the pan-cake mix. Core the apples and slice into 1 cm waffers.

Dunk the apple slices into the pancake mix and fry up until ready.

Add Maple syrup on top and enjoy...

(( Im eating this right now :) ))

:alright:
NaN
Posted on 2003-02-23 01:27:08 by NaN
it's delicious.

I just finished my meal and it's really wonderful combination :)

A bit heavy :grin:

but really delicious, thank you. :alright:

I used apple vinegar and indonesian soya.
Posted on 2003-02-23 13:37:17 by Hiroshimator
pommes de terre dauphinois
-------------------------------------

ingredi?nts
potatoes
parmesan cheeze
gruy?re cheeze
cream

you take raw potatoes, cut them in slices (about 5mm thick)
you take a fire-proof pot/tray/dish(??) and smear the insides with butter and garlic

now put a layer of potatoes and put thyme, pepper and salt over it.
over this layer comes a layer of shredded mixed cheeze (gruyere and parmesan)

repeat this process a couple of times (like with lasagna).

on top of the last layer you add more of the cheeze and cream (of milk)

put it in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes and it's ready :)

tiramisu
-----------

ingredi?nts:
250gr boudoirs
500gr mascarpone (it's a sort of cheeze)
4 table-spoons sugar
4 table-spoons amaretto (or cognac)
3 egg (don't know how you call it) yellow + 2 stirred egg-whites
1 cup strong coffee
cocoa-powder for finishing

humify the boudoirs with the coffee and the amaretto (just plunge them in swiftly and back out)
arrange them in your dish (rectangualr shape)
mix the cheese with the egg-yellows, the sugar and the 'snow' (the stirred egg-white)
spread this mixture over the boudoirs (in the dish)
lightly sprinkle it with cocoa powder

repeat all of this

let it stiffen 4 hours in the refridgerator

ready :)
Posted on 2003-02-23 14:16:26 by Hiroshimator

it's delicious.

I just finished my meal and it's really wonderful combination :)

A bit heavy :grin:

but really delicious, thank you. :alright:

I used apple vinegar and indonesian soya.

Glad you liked it :grin: ;) :tongue:
Posted on 2003-03-01 08:02:49 by AmkG
Does anyone know anynice way of cooking ramens?

I once came across a big page on different recepies with ramen but didnt like most of them.
Posted on 2003-03-11 02:45:47 by clippy
Everybody loves ramen.
Posted on 2003-03-11 07:44:14 by drhowarddrfine
coffee ala ben&gerry

fix some regular coffee in an expresso pot and mix it half and half
with melted icecream
Posted on 2003-03-11 11:20:28 by rob.rice
Mushroom soup. Girlfriend and I hooked on this atm.

Mushroom soup:

250 g Mushrooms (or more, depending on how much you like mushrooms)
1 small Onion
3 spoonfulls Flour
1 1/4 Cream
1 1/4 spoonfull Sherry
1 l stock (with a "Maggi" square or whatever, just gotta get some nice vegetable stock going)
Oil (equivalent of 50 g butter)
Dill
Parsley

Chop the onion and slice the mushrooms. Stir them in the oil for about 5 mins, till they're nice. Add the flour and stir like a madman (don't wanna burn it). Next, add the stock, bit at a time, while stirring still. Make sure it boils up, to avoid lumps of flour in the soup. Let it boil for some 5 mins more, then add the cream and sherry. Sprinkle some cut parsley and dill on top, and serve.

Heck of a vegetarian dish, leaves you wanting more even after your second and third helping.

Fake
Posted on 2003-03-21 09:27:07 by Fake51
i dont have time to make neither breakfest nor lunch, sometimes i eat only supper. So im supporting myself with my little inventions. My leatest is preaty good, it is fast and tasty.

Ingrediences:
Bananas,Bar of chocolate,Toaster bread <--- If u dont have one u can use ordinary bread. U can use butter optional. <---more tasty

After u put butter on the bread it is time to chocolate and banana (u don't have to slice it becouse after few minutes in toaster it's gona achieve consistency of sh*t ). OK that's all folks and good luck.
Posted on 2003-03-21 13:03:28 by AceEmbler
Bar- BQ Cheese Sandwich receipe.

Grind together the following ingredients. (I suggest using a hand grinder instead of blender) it does make a mess.
1 lb. american cheese. (I use velveeta)
1/2 green pepper
1 medium onion
2 hard boiled eggs
1 cup green olives with pimento
Then add to above mixture
1 can tomato soup
2 TB melted butter/cooled

I lightly toast the white bread before I spread the mixture on and then I put it under the broiler until the cheese turns brown.

Freezing changes consistancy but doesn't really affect taste.

Note for non Americans;

'American cheese' is a pasturized process that is almost spreadable, melts at a low temperature, doesn't get stringy, is mild (has almost no taste), and is used for macaroni and cheese, or grilled cheese sandwiches.
Posted on 2003-03-29 15:45:13 by SFinegan
One of my favourites when I can see friends in the country is to barbecue a magnificent piece of T bone on their outside barbecue.

There is a good country butcher shop across the road that has excellent T bones so I buy them in pairs, fire this barbecue up until its about dull red in colour and cook the two T bone real fast. When the top plate is really hot, it seals the T bone quickly and will cook it through evenly very quickly, 5 minutes or so for a well done T bone that is not burnt.

Must be the primitive coming out, I havew always like meat cooked with fire.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-03-29 21:32:31 by hutch--