What 3d model editor would you people recommend?

Preferably one that is free, and whose data format is described quite well.

I will need to model humans, and animate those models (well actually I plan to have the model in different poses and just do interpolation between those poses). Low-polygon models, since they will be projected rather small (maybe projected within a 64x128 surface).
Posted on 2003-02-15 03:45:59 by AmkG
You have to decide if you want "real" curves or polygons. A polygonal modeler won't be able to give you NURB surfaces or other curves. I've found that the modelers that give you curves don't do polygons.

Others probably already know some modelers. I have some "not free" ones but I can look the free ones for you.
Posted on 2003-02-15 10:46:42 by drhowarddrfine
Well I don't really need curves...

It's for a 3d RTS game I am planning, so the models won't be projected very large and curves can be approximated by regular polygons.

I've found a free one but it's somewhat hackish... I'd want to look for others that are freely available and check them out...
Posted on 2003-02-17 05:07:06 by AmkG
Afternoon, AmkG.

Due to the effort it takes to build an editor you won't find many (any?) good ones for free.

The cheapest one I know of that does the job reasonably well is Milkshape3d (google for it).

It's not free but it comes with a month-long free trial.
If you plan out the models you need to build before installing it, you could create your models before the application times out.

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2003-02-17 05:50:55 by Scronty
Here is a very quick little program with source code...
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gorbash/Draw3D/Draw3D.html
Posted on 2003-02-17 11:47:52 by bitRAKE
Try:
- "Amapi 3.14" - i belive there is a free version arround, crashes a lot and has a strange interface (like you have to "hit" the right side of the screen to switch toolbars ... ) but i has a lot o features

-"Anim8or" - is free and quite good for its price :) some of the models and even renders in HE are done with this (seccond best choice IMHO) - easy interface

-"S-Patch" and "HammaPatch" , quite good but rather slow and strange interfaces again, also they use NURBS or curved surfaces (Bezier patches) and it is unlikely you could render such models in realtime with today hadrware

- Belnder 2.24 or 2.20 i guess it was the last free version, very very good, can do almost everything but again a strange " aka revolutionary " interface and you must hunt for plug-ins and tutorials over the net... best one IMHO IF you can deal with nasty interface. It even has a 3D game engine inside :) you can make game with it also ... well ... so they say ...
Posted on 2003-02-18 12:24:58 by BogdanOntanu
Thanks everyone, I've started to download some of the editors you recommended, I will see what I will use eventually ;)

MilkShape seems rather large (3 MB!) so I can't download it...

Blender, it seems, is once again free, even the once-commercial 2.25 is completely free once again (at least, according to www.blender.org)

Anim8or's manual is larger than the program... (2mb manual for a 500K program...)
Posted on 2003-02-20 00:19:40 by AmkG