The notebook is a little outdated so I don't know if it works in latest notebooks.

It does. I installed Linux on a brand new Gericom X5 and hibernation works just fine ;)

BTW, Linux supports IDE hotplug (even if your board does not support it)

hdparm -U /dev/hdX # deregister disk from kernel
# change disk now
hdparm -R /dev/hdc # reregister disk to kernel

Use at your own risk, but a friend of mine tried it with a old 2 GB disk and it worked fine :)
Posted on 2003-03-11 06:13:30 by bazik
linux allows me to use TV OUT and normal screen at the same time where windows drivers don't :)
Posted on 2003-03-11 06:20:27 by Hiroshimator
But linux is boring =) u need api emulators to run exes =) and its also slow with all the kde and stuff, which left you with console..
ah well..i got carried away too much :P
Posted on 2003-03-11 07:17:07 by wizzra

But linux is boring =) u need api emulators to run exes =) and its also slow with all the kde and stuff, which left you with console..
ah well..i got carried away too much :P

If this wasnt ment as a joke I would say

You dont know what you are talking about
[_] You used Linux for a while

:grin:
Posted on 2003-03-12 10:40:43 by bazik
? What can linux do that windows cant do?
? What can Windows do that linux cant do?

Maybe its not what the OS can do but what they are. For example, Windows is very comercial OS, Linux is not and hopefully remains that way. As far as one being better than the other that is based on opinion because one could be tweaked to do pretty much anything the other could do.

I believe Linux will get better and become a viable alternative to the Windows platform.

My 2 cents
Posted on 2003-03-13 06:21:00 by mcderek7

BTW, Linux supports IDE hotplug (even if your board does not support it)

That's a fine way to toast your PSU and/or motherboard :)
Posted on 2003-03-13 09:53:31 by f0dder

That's a fine way to toast your PSU and/or motherboard :)

Maybe, but as I said, my friend tryed it without problems. I wouldnt try it myself tough :)
Posted on 2003-03-13 10:01:03 by bazik
indeed you shouldn't. friend of mine trashed his PSU by unplugging the floppy cable. the computer wasn't even on, but the power plug was in the (atx) PSU. hotplugging on non-hotplug systems is a pretty dangerous thing :)
Posted on 2003-03-13 10:04:36 by f0dder
my friend once unplugged and plugged back in a soundcard from a running PC (windows 95), don't ask why. <---- beat that linux ;)

It worked, will you now do the same because it worked for my friend? :p
Posted on 2003-03-13 10:08:47 by Hiroshimator