If i make a software and try to sell it over the net, will it ever sell?
That is i let them download a free demo but to dl a full version or order a cd they have to pay.

I am assuming that the software will be really good and useful, but will anyone ever buy it or will they just pirate it?

What about getting software published by some publishers, so that it can be seen on stores?

Are there any publishers for other software or are they just for games?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Posted on 2003-02-26 02:11:27 by clippy
Gladitor,

Your idea is nice!:alright: As you said,one must focus on the software protection problem.
You have to consult peoples having deep knowledge about program protection.
I think you have good marketing skills.

Regards,

Vortex
Posted on 2003-02-26 03:23:33 by Vortex
it depends :/

I think every soft will be pirated. There is no stopping that. IMO the money makers are corporate deals, updates connected to license key and support connected to license key. Also dependant on your product anything 'online' should be connected to your license. That way you can ensure to get paid.

As for just selling your soft: some will pay, some won't. It's a fact of life. The creator of winzip made a nice amount with it too, so why couldn't it happen to you?
Posted on 2003-02-26 03:51:54 by Hiroshimator
Offer crippleware on your homepage and send each buyer a custom build with a fingerprint in the binary ;)
At least you can sue the buyer if you discover a pirated copy of your application.
Posted on 2003-02-26 04:49:26 by bazik
I asked a guy that has several free downloads if he makes money doing that. He said it supports him and he doesn't have another job. You download his for free and I only get a nag from him about once a month.
Posted on 2003-02-26 07:33:09 by drhowarddrfine
I agree with the crippleware, but don't give away any working code that is not going to be used in the free demo!

I don't like the way most trial programs work, you just insert the serial and you have full working copy. If your program is any good, you just end up finding key-generator for your program from the internet, and that way you lose some potential buyers. :(
Posted on 2003-02-26 09:47:37 by Petroizki
Gladiator,

>>If i make a software and try to sell it over the net, will it ever sell?<<

Yes you can make money selling your software if it is a good program that fits one of the following criteria:

1.) Unique one of a kind program.
2.) Better program then others like it.
3.) Equal to others like it but less expensive.

You need a website where people can download your software from. You need to submit your website to as many software download sites as possible. Preferably download sites that give your software a quality rating ( star rating awards ).

You need a means to enable people to buy your software online. I use a service called RegNow.com that lets people buy my program by secure online credit card purchase or by phone, fax, wire transfer, and purchase orders.

My little utility is only $9.95 to register and RegNow gets $2.00 per sale of that $9.95 for collecting the buyer?s money and sending me a check each month. I most certainly could not live on what I make selling my software but it more then pays for the expense of keeping my website going. I do it more for the fun of it then for any dream of making a living off it

See my website at: http://www.wfcravener.com/tbcpro.html

As for dealing with crackers the people that are going to pay for your program will do so, and the ones searching for cracks to steal your program most likely won't. It is best to work for your paying customers by improving the software. Listen to your users requests for improvements and new features. This is how my Pro version came to be, by listening to the many thousands of users that use my free version. In the end you'll get more sales by adding more value to the software than wasting your time trying to get the ripoff freeloaders to purchase your software.

Regards,
Posted on 2003-02-26 10:29:22 by bcraven
does that regnow service take a standard fee of $2 or do they take a % ?
Posted on 2003-02-26 11:00:30 by Hiroshimator
Hiroshimator,

One time account activation fee: $9.95
Standard transaction fee: 20% with a $2.00 minimum charge

Real-time reporting of orders as they occur.
Branded, full featured customization of your order form design right online!
Issue refunds in real-time with the click of a button.
View detailed payment summaries.
Pay you by your choice of check, direct deposit, or wire transfer.

http://www.regnow.com/client.html

Regards,
Posted on 2003-02-26 11:56:44 by bcraven
wow 20% is quite a lot :|
Posted on 2003-02-26 12:40:28 by Hiroshimator
I'm curious how many you sell in a year. (I know it's none of my business) PM me if you'd rather.
Posted on 2003-02-26 12:45:05 by drhowarddrfine
Hiroshimator,

>>wow 20% is quite a lot :|<<

Yes but it is the average rate for this type of service. They strictly deal with software authors and are very reliable and honest unlike others such as PayPal. I know of people who have had problems collecting from PayPal. There are others out there such as VeriSign.com and Australia?s payMe.com. I?m sure there are many others.

I don?t know how else one can deal with purchases from all over the world were different currencies are involved. RegNow handles most all currency transactions were one type of money must be converted to another. It makes it all simple and I just sit back and wait for the check to arrive each month.

Regards,
Posted on 2003-02-26 13:07:16 by bcraven
drhoward,

I just released TitleBarClock Pro at the end of last September 2002 and have sold 93 registered copies so far. You can do the math. ;)

I have had over 500,000 downloads of my free TitleBarClock program. That is downloads my website statistics have recorded. Not bad for a program that I released just last May 2002.

The freebee is at: http://www.wfcravener.com/tbc.html

Regards,
Posted on 2003-02-26 13:19:32 by bcraven
how is their policy towards things like say false CCs? Do those costs fall on your neck?
Posted on 2003-02-26 14:12:16 by Hiroshimator
Hiroshimator,

All bank chargebacks are covered by RegNow. It costs your nothing.
Posted on 2003-02-26 14:26:06 by bcraven
wow that's decent service. 20% isn't that unreasonable then.
Posted on 2003-02-26 14:36:00 by Hiroshimator

I too am favourable to this kind of system.. because to get paid for my Amiga games I had to put more efforts than to make them (no metaphor intended). Those were commercial, though.

To add one possibility to the list, a very good friend of mine used (and was happy about) http://www.buyonet.com
Posted on 2003-02-26 15:46:05 by Maverick
An overview of Shareware Registration Services

http://www.regshare.com/matrix1a.asp
Posted on 2003-03-03 03:49:26 by Maverick
Maverick,

Very interesting site. I had no idea there where so many shareware Reg Services out there. Thanks for the link!

Regards,
Posted on 2003-03-03 10:13:09 by bcraven

You're wellcome. :)
There are others I've heard about but that weren't listed in that page. Well, the most important ones are listed anyhow. :)
Posted on 2003-03-03 15:56:04 by Maverick