I am just a begginer in Assembler programing world but if I am right, I think it is better for Fasm to cancel out the 'resource compiler' and 'link feature' . I know that they are features that make fasm become unique. However have you thought that it will slow down your compiling process and also because it will not be compatiable with other utilities that play a very important parts of programing pakage such as Resource Editor or the linker which can generate multiple formats. Also it will save your time when you can concentrate and put all of your effort into assembler product and make it extremely better.
Sorry for my bad english. It is not my mother tonge.
Posted on 2003-02-26 09:03:40 by khanh
You can use FASM's with object output to link it then using any external linker that handles COFF or ELF object formats - and of course it is recommended when you are working on some large projects with many modules, or when you need to use some libraries from other languages. FASM itself is an assembler, resource compiler and linker should be a separate tools - I'm working mainly on the assembler in attemtps to make it really good, and I hope someone else would make a good free tools that would do the other things. I know that Randall Hyde (author of HLA) is working currently on a free linker for COFF objects, he needs it for his HLA project, but it should be as well useable with FASM, so when he finishes it, we'll have some nice free linker to use with FASM. Some free resource compiler is the next thing.
And why have I written assembler without any additional tools like that? When I was starting the FASM project, I didn't consider it may some day become useable i such a wide range applications - first versions were designed to make just a small binary files, for DOS .com programs, boot sectors, small custom OSes etc. When I was implementing PE output, I wasn't planning to make it useful for making big and complex Win32 programs, it was rather just to play with the Win32 executable format structure, I was also considering it as a back-end for some compilers, but without modularity it was not enough also for this purpose. Altough it was quite good to make some small apps, especially when you were in the environment with no other tools available and only FASM on a floppy ;) (for this purpose I've made a FASMW version - to be small and portable tool with which you'd be able to make little programs anywhere you go). And then I've got a feedback from people that liked it and wanted use it also for more serious jobs, and I've implemented object output for them. Since FASM produces object files it can finally be used for serious purposes as long as you provide some linker, librarian, resource compiler, etc. I could write also some linker, but it would need some time; maybe I'll do that in the future, when I finish everything I've left to do with FASM.
But it'd be also great if we could make such package of free utilities with every tool being developed by other person (the assembler is already taken ;)). Hey, who wants to write free resource compiler or linker in assembly?
Posted on 2003-02-26 09:59:31 by Tomasz Grysztar
Hi Privalov.

These days I am working on something similar to resource compiler for fasm. But it will be "source level" compiler. (You know - I don't like link process.) It will convert RES files (or maybe RC) to fasm source files. All this is at the begining, but when I have something useful, I will post it in the board. :)

BTW: What happen with source level debuger?

Regards.
Posted on 2003-02-26 17:11:31 by JohnFound
Originally posted by JohnFound
BTW: What happen with source level debuger?

Well, there are some people that wanted to help, but I first have to deal with all architectural and documentational work that's left. I will leave the work on debugger to others, myself only working on the interface for "source line number -> output offset" conversion, that is needed for source level debugger, but aswell might be used for listing generator, debug info generator etc.
Posted on 2003-02-27 04:26:58 by Tomasz Grysztar
Privalov,

Hi! How are you? I think the MS linker is sufficient for the library problem.
This tool handles successfully the OMF and COFF object files.

Regards,

Vortex
Posted on 2003-02-27 05:16:28 by Vortex

This tool handles successfully the OMF and COFF object files.

But it's not free nor open-source.
Posted on 2003-02-27 11:37:06 by Tomasz Grysztar
I don't think this is a big problem, I like the way FASM compiles everything without doing all the linking and having .res files. I think it should be kept the way it is.
Posted on 2003-02-27 14:02:37 by CyberGuy
I'm not going to remove any features from fasm.
Posted on 2003-02-28 04:45:56 by Tomasz Grysztar
Privalov,what are your new ideas for Fasm?

Regards,

Vortex
Posted on 2003-02-28 07:59:21 by Vortex