I'm trying to gather some information and guage the learning curve to understanding the basics of ASM. However, I'm not concerned about Win32 development. Rather, I'm looking for console based ASM coding (i.e., scripting and such). Could anyone point me in a direction where I can read about ASM console coding rather than Win32?
Posted on 2003-03-03 17:02:10 by CompiledMonkey
console app = windows app with a console
A console app is just 'win32' like any other program. Win stands for windows as in the OS's name, not for the thing you look at when you run a program :). You can do exactly the same thing as in non-console applications. The only difference is a PE option set by the linker (/SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE) that gives your program a console by default. Even non-console programs can have a console but they explicitly need to ask for it.
The only 'console' like programs that aren't win32 are DOS programs, but that's probably not what you want. There are several console application examples on this board, just do a search for it.

Thomas
Posted on 2003-03-03 17:31:02 by Thomas
How about for Linux?
Posted on 2003-03-03 17:32:06 by CompiledMonkey
Ah so that's what you mean.. Well this board is mainly for windows assembler but FASM can create binaries for both windows and linux so I suggest you take a look there. There's a specific forum for FASM.

Thomas
Posted on 2003-03-03 17:33:52 by Thomas

Ah so that's what you mean.. Well this board is mainly for windows assembler but FASM can create binaries for both windows and linux so I suggest you take a look there. There's a specific forum for FASM.

Thomas

Is FASM a different flavor of ASM? Is the syntax different in anyway?
Posted on 2003-03-03 17:41:40 by CompiledMonkey

Is FASM a different flavor of ASM? Is the syntax different in anyway?

FASM is an assembler, like MASM, maintained by Privalov (and perhaps others). Syntax is not the same as MASM's, but then again, neither is GoASM, TASM, NASM, or any other assembler that i am aware of. They're all (at least slightly) different in some respect from each other.
Posted on 2003-03-03 18:44:20 by jademtech
Asm for scripting? :stupid:
Posted on 2003-03-04 07:33:17 by roticv