Since I will get a new TFT monitor next monday, I installed winXP on my machine to be able to use cleartype. Actually I don't like XP at all and would rather stick with win2k but microsoft doesn't seem to have any plans on adding cleartype support to win2k :rolleyes:. Anyhow, I've just spent quite some time disabling options and tweaking so that XP doesn't take me for a complete moron but there's one thing I couldn't change. If you look at the attached image you can see the 'name' column has a light gray background color to indicate the files are sorted by name. Is there any way to disable this coloring so that the whole thing has the same white background?
There's no setting for it in the color scheme settings, it seems to be directly derived from the white color (COLOR_WINDOW), if I change that the gray changes to the new color but in a slightly brighter/darker variant.
Does anyone know how to change it? I've googled a bit and found some usenet posts about it but no solutions..

Thanks,
Thomas
Posted on 2003-03-08 14:16:25 by Thomas
Look no further then this program if you want to change windows colors (that is, if windows supports the changing of the color and so does this program)

http://jotenet.cjb.net/
Posted on 2003-03-08 17:13:53 by kairon
kairon: That program can only change the same colors as windows can but the color I want to change isn't even in the list in windows. I don't think there is any color setting for it but I'm hoping there's a way to just disable it.

Thomas
Posted on 2003-03-09 03:49:57 by Thomas
I looked around and could find anything. :(
Is it a control feature or explorer.exe feature?
Posted on 2003-03-09 04:48:50 by bitRAKE
I've looked in the API docs as well but ListView controls do not seem to have this feature by default. I've searched everywhere but still didn't find anything :(.. It's really annoying.

Thomas
Posted on 2003-03-09 05:01:19 by Thomas
Did you try messing with HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/New Schemes/nn/Sizes/nn ?

I'm seeing a lot of color regkeys in there, though I'm not as tempted to mess with them.
Posted on 2003-03-09 05:29:15 by iblis

Did you try messing with HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/New Schemes/nn/Sizes/nn ?

I've searched through them but the color (0xF7F7F7) isn't there.. I don't think it's part of the color scheme, the color is based on COLOR_WINDOW..

Thomas
Posted on 2003-03-09 05:41:15 by Thomas
Thomas,
I respect yourthoughts but really how does a bit of gray color matter so much that you need to research so much into changing it?
Posted on 2003-03-11 02:29:11 by clippy

Thomas,
I respect yourthoughts but really how does a bit of gray color matter so much that you need to research so much into changing it?

I just think it looks awful :) It's nitpicking yes, but these kind of things can really annoy me, especially if they can't be switched off..

Thomas
Posted on 2003-03-11 03:27:22 by Thomas