On bootup on my mother's computer is giving a "No Operating System"
error message. Prior to that I was getting some bad spots on the hard drive. Is it a hard drive failure ? Thanks.
Posted on 2003-03-09 09:04:47 by skywalker

Prior to that I was getting some bad spots on the hard drive. Is it a hard drive failure ? Thanks.

Yep, sounds like it. You can try booting from a boot CD / Floppy if you can access the drive but I doubt it when its a hardware failure.
Posted on 2003-03-09 09:36:18 by bazik

Yep, sounds like it. You can try booting from a boot CD / Floppy if you can access the drive but I doubt it when its a hardware failure.

i wouldn't give it up. but it's probably best to hook up another HD and install Windows (or whatever you were using before) and get that running. Then hook up the other (damaged) hard drive. You reduce the risk of "killing" stuff. Happened to me when i installed WinNT4 on a 20GB drive - /wo SP4, NT was unable to "see" anything past 8GBs, so it screwed up my partition table >(

oh well. i was only using stuff at the end as swap space, anyway (i don't use up that much HD space)
Posted on 2003-03-09 22:25:07 by jademtech
I hope it's not the result of a virus attack.
Posted on 2003-03-10 01:53:27 by Vortex

I hope it's not the result of a virus attack.

It's doubtful, I made frequent scans using Fprot. It's an HP computer, my brother bought the computer against my advice. HP have a bad history of hardware failures.
Posted on 2003-03-10 09:46:32 by skywalker
There is a program on the boot disk called 'sys'. i.e. on W98 it's on the EDB ram drive, after boot.

Just 'sys' the hard drive first and maybe you will get lucky.

This is a normal fix for people who delete hidden root drive files.

Regards, P1
Posted on 2003-03-10 13:23:25 by Pone