I think the Worldly affairs thread is out of hand-or maybe-I mean that it has just gone on long enough. I have posted to it a couple times, which I admit, but it just seems to have turned into a pile of ?something? (I don?t necessarily mean shit!). I understand people have thoughts and points of views on such topics and I respect that. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions but I think there might be another place that would be better suited for posting it. Where I don?t know, maybe this thread can help determine that.

Here we don?t allow talk of religion because things might inadvertently hurt someone, yet, I?ve read posts which have offended people. Whether they are posted directly or indirectly to hurt, I don?t think that matters. I think politics is just another one of those touchy subjects that can easily get out of hand and get misinterpreted.

Now I?m sure Hiro is busy, and I don?t mean to make things more difficult or give him more work, but I?d really find it useful if I was able to filter threads so all I get is programming topics... That way when I can read the programming stuff *first*. And when I need a laugh, or a brake, I?ll head to the heap and browse it.

Anyways, I?d like to hear what people think of the necessity of the Worldly Affairs forum. I think we can do better in helping the board have a long, clean, and friendly atmosphere without having the touchy subjects.

James
Posted on 2003-03-10 17:03:08 by JamesE
Anyways, I?d like to hear what people think of the necessity of the Worldly Affairs forum. I think we can do better in helping the board have a long, clean, and friendly atmosphere without having the touchy subjects.
I think that would be simply artificial.. and make people less fond of the board.
Posted on 2003-03-10 17:16:17 by Maverick
I have to admit it's kind of a drag. A week or so ago I said I wasn't going to go there anymore but then someone says something and, well, you know.

Quite frankly I'd miss the daily conversation. Or is this another one of your communist, anti-war, anti-US MUD SLINGING CONSPIRACY TO ... oops, sorry, wrong forum.
Posted on 2003-03-10 17:16:52 by drhowarddrfine
Is this part of our peace-keeping nature? *call in the sea kings!* :grin:
Posted on 2003-03-10 18:08:41 by jademtech

Is this part of our peace-keeping nature? *call in the sea kings!* :grin:

Hehehe,

EDIT
I accidentally voted against myself lol, I ment to vote No... sorry guys for the weird wording of the poll question and the thread title
Posted on 2003-03-10 18:31:14 by JamesE
Afternoon, All.

I'd prefer that the "Worldly Affairs", "Crusades", and anything from the "Other" messageboard section didn't show up when I click on "View New Posts".:mad:

It's been getting pretty annoying that over 50% of posts have absolutley nothing to do with assembly-related material.

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2003-03-10 18:36:52 by Scronty
I don't really have anything against the worldly affairs forum but I voted yes because if it goes I won't miss it. :)
Posted on 2003-03-10 19:03:18 by Odyssey
I never visit that forum (maybe once in a blue moon), it isn't the fact of all the anti-US, but anything related to gov't/politics I stay away from .... I believe the same about religion.

I never talk to anyone about religion or politics. To me it is just to easy to get mad/irritated.

Just my two cents
Posted on 2003-03-10 19:09:13 by gorshing
i agree /w Scronty that i don't like all these Worldly affairs threads keep coming up in the "new posts" section, but like gorshing, i sometimes actually do read the messages in there. Perhaps there should be an "ignore" feature, to keep anything we don't think we'll EVER want to read out of the way, that keep popping their annoying little heads up :)
Posted on 2003-03-10 20:16:19 by jademtech
I would have to agree that worldly affairs coming up in new posts can be aggrevating for those strictly interested in programming.

Maybe it should be that programming is seperated from the heap and everything else on the main page like this.

Programming>view new posts/main/masm/hla/com/tasm...etc

Heap>view new posts/crusades/worldly affairs...etc

:confused:
Posted on 2003-03-10 20:25:41 by IwasTitan

If it bothers others well, they can just stay out of it, after all they have to actively click the links to get there, it's not the default forum.

Donkey

I agree, I think it should go because I don't view it ... but if everybody else likes it ... it doesn't bother me.

You can not please everybody.
Posted on 2003-03-10 21:53:23 by gorshing
Actually I don't normally view it and I usually don't take things that I read seriously but I do think that it is starting make the board seem too political (just my opinion), and having to look through a page or two of new posts when I'm only intrested in the programming topics is a little anoying at times... I'm... ahh nevermind... :rolleyes:
Posted on 2003-03-10 22:17:27 by JamesE
"... AND Message.ThreadParentFolder NOT IN (SELECT FolderID FROM ExcludedFolders WHERE ExcludedFolders.UserID=" . $_Session["CurrentUserID"] . ")"

which allows for multiple excluded folders... except i'm not sure how vbulletin's dbase structure looks like - or even what the underlying server is - i don't think MySQL supports the IN clause. i could be wrong :grin: saves having to rewrite if{} clauses in PHP.
Posted on 2003-03-11 01:00:05 by jademtech
I will give you a hard sell on the virtues of having a seperate forum to discuss stuff like politics in.

1. It keeps non technical questions or attitudes out of the technical forums which was part of its original purpose.

2. It is controlled to the extent that even if members completely disagree with each other, it will not degenerate into abuse and insult as the rules do not allow it.

3. People from many different places can speak freely as long as they maintain the basic respect for other members that the rules require. This last point is probably the most important one as we have members from many different countries and not all of them allow free speech in public in the open.

At least in this little corner of cyberspace, members can criticise Idi Amin without getting a bullet in the head, tell Tony Blair to go soak his head any old time, pass comments on any particular politbureau without getting arrested and in the process help people from many different places to better understand each other.

We have members from Islamic countries that can criticise Yasser Arafat, disagree with Saddam Hussein, Israelis who can defend/criticise Arial Sharon, others who can tell Chirac to get a shorter haircut and members from the old Soviet republics who have history and ideas to share.

Americans can speak freely here in an international forum without being subject to abuse or hatred, members from Germany can call Shroeder's wife "horse teeth" without getting into big sh*t and in the process, we have all made the world smaller and more friendly.

There have been those who would wish to shut the members up and censure them to hold one political view or the other but they have failed to grasp that our way is better than the way the world works because while we may disagree on many things, we do it as friends from many different places.

Perhaps if there is one way to get to understand someone from far away, it is to argue with them about different things because in the process, you get to know and respect the person, no matter how much you disagree with them.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-03-11 01:02:22 by hutch--
Is that:

Yes, it should go.
No, it should stay.

or

Yes, it should stay.
No, it should go.

Not all languages do negative sentences the same as English. I'm a bit confused :confused:
Posted on 2003-03-11 02:10:16 by ThoughtCriminal
ThoughtCriminal,

==============================
Should we keep the Worldly Affairs forum?
==============================

YES means KEEP it.

NO means REMOVE it.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-03-11 02:32:13 by hutch--
Thanks. Korean does negative the oppositeof English,
Posted on 2003-03-11 02:45:11 by ThoughtCriminal

I perfectly agree with hutch here.. let away that I would miss my friends donkey and doc if the forum disappeared. :grin:

I agree that this forum has dissipated tensions, and let us understand and accept each other better. It removes the hypocrisy typical of many other places. This is IMHO part of the key of success of this board.
Posted on 2003-03-11 03:08:16 by Maverick

Thanks. Korean does negative the oppositeof English,
We gotta bomb the PHUK out of you, then, until you conform.

Joking. :grin:
Posted on 2003-03-11 03:08:44 by Maverick
Afternoon, Maverick.

We gotta bomb the PHUK out of you, then, until you conform.

Joking. :grin:

This is "The Heap", not "Worldly Global Domination Affairs::tongue: .

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2003-03-11 03:49:53 by Scronty