since the only nay-sayers that voiced their opinion really want a filter for messages on "what's new" I've added that. As for keeping the forum the majority still seems to want to keep it.
Posted on 2003-03-11 04:58:08 by Hiroshimator
The new method works for me Hiro. I like it.
Posted on 2003-03-11 07:56:03 by drhowarddrfine
Thanks Harold! And ThoughtCriminal, yeah I think I made the poll a little confusing but Hutch is right, Yes means keep... I acidently voted yes hehe

James:alright:
Posted on 2003-03-11 14:29:04 by JamesE
I like to read the forum, but I don't reply much. I'm just not a worldly person. The US is a very big place and I'm still trying to understand what goes on here in my own country. I have a deep repect for people that are different than myself and enjoy listening to their point of view. I do care and would like to visit places all over the world - it is just not possible right now. So, I will listen and try to understand.
Posted on 2003-03-11 14:59:10 by bitRAKE
The old chinese curse goes something like "May you live in interesting times." Sad to say we do and while I may live in a fools paradise, i will be happy when international affairs are dictated by the importance of the cricket scores or the world cup for soccer.

In the mean time, a friendly place where different people can speak without fear seems to be a good idea as it gives voice to many who could not have it where they live.

Now speaking of important things like the cricket scores, we have just won a game against the Kiwis so we can shortly expect a serious terrorist attack in the pubs around Sydney from unhappy Kiwis who did not like being beaten by the Aussies. (Fortunately the maoris play rugby union so it may not be all that serious) :tongue:

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-03-11 17:05:43 by hutch--
Now speaking of important things like the cricket scores, we have just won a game against the Kiwis so we can shortly expect a serious terrorist attack in the pubs around Sydney from unhappy Kiwis who did not like being beaten by the Aussies.
Unfortunately i missed this game, too busy at work. All i can say is: when will we learn to bat consistently? It is enough to make a guy cry :(
Posted on 2003-03-12 06:03:28 by sluggy
Currently all forums under "Other" and "holy wars" do not show up under "new posts" any more. I know it solves some peoples' issues with this but if it doesn't for you for whatever reason do respond. I can't find a solution with you for issues I'm not aware of. (like the "new posts" issue, I never use "new posts" so I didn't realize, sorry)
Posted on 2003-03-12 13:45:15 by Hiroshimator
I don't know what it is but since the change i feel like i'm on one of those sites where you know your eventually gonna be asked for a credit card number.

JamesE was sorta right in that many may find it a nuisance to see Worldy affairs posts in new posts , however i think it takes away some unity in the board. How big a hassle was the old way anyways? Not much i say.

For example, sometimes i post in the heap and main at the same time. In this case i check 2 categories for replies in one shot.

Sometimes i'm looking for a reply in main..then its not there...but i see something in worldy/main that attracts my interest.

I guess i just don't like the new set up?

To me it just seems too "Politically correct" and i am definitly sick of the phrase "Politically correct"

Yah i'm bit*hing.

edit:

I definitly hate the new setup. For me it has taken away something...i just can't put it into words.

Second edit:

Nope the new method definitly sucks.

This method segregates information whether programming or other. All people have more than one interest including programming.

I think it will ruin the board as far as unity an acceptance of others goes because it differentiates...it does not integrate.
Posted on 2003-03-12 21:18:40 by IwasTitan
IwasTitan, have you tried using the Subscribe to this Forum feature?
Then just click the User CP button to get the replies to the subscribed forums.
Posted on 2003-03-12 23:39:08 by bitRAKE

I'm sorry, but I totally agree with IwasTitan. I'm one of those "New Posts" people, because I'd hate to open each forum manually, and then seek for new posts by check dates and recalling when was it last time I visited the board, etc..
Anyway, I followed bitRAKE's suggestion and this may (haven't tested it yet, so I dunno if I just misunderstood) make things return to normality for me.. but the considerations by IwasTitan remain, i.e. that this way it's segregated.
Rather, I'd have appreciated more (IF that is equally simple to implement) that whoever doesn't like Worldly affairs (or whatever) has a means to filter it out.. not the other way round.

I'm writing the above, though, just because it has been asked to write the own opinion. I don't want to create the misunderstanding that I'm moaning or such, though.
Posted on 2003-03-13 02:22:26 by Maverick
This forum is interesting to know the opinion of other friends all arround the world.
I know there is a risk that the discussions become flame wars, but as of now, this forum maintains cordiality and respect for other's opinions.

We are all programmers, but first of all, we are human beings.
This forum strongs the friendship feelings, very difficult in a pure, cold, technical discussion. And this forum keeps away the personal opinions from the other forums.:)

Maybe the options:
1. view last posts
2. view last posts *all*

Posted on 2003-03-13 02:26:43 by pelaillo

PS: I subscribed to those forums (The Heap, The Heap/Wordly Affairs and The Crusades) but the new posts don't show up on New Posts anyway.

If I must be sincere, then this quite sucks.. anyway. I'm a guest here, I remember it. But IMHO it removes much of the "freedom" feeling from the board, that IMHO made it so successful. If you allow me to use a metaphor, sometimes you get customers in a pub just because of something else.. like good music or nice girls.. i.e. not directly by the quality of the strictly-pub services.
Posted on 2003-03-13 02:26:44 by Maverick

PS: I second pelaillo's proposal.
Posted on 2003-03-13 02:27:35 by Maverick
you can now change it in your control panel under "edit options"
Posted on 2003-03-13 05:30:02 by Hiroshimator
like this:
Posted on 2003-03-13 05:48:19 by Hiroshimator

Great. :)
Posted on 2003-03-13 08:43:40 by Maverick
I prefer when I view new threads that win32 stuff only be shown

ppl can visit the others if they won't to
Posted on 2003-03-13 10:29:08 by Tweak
I'm satisfied once again.

Nice solution Hiro.

:alright:
Posted on 2003-03-13 12:27:53 by IwasTitan
now i see that i dont see some post.. :D, but nice solution, yea, also i need say if you can modify things like this, maybe you can make one other option for us, like the choice you do by this subject, (also new user dont know about this forum i thing), the sugestion is like me, i use the view new post, if you can make other short, not only order new post by date, also first order by date and then by forum, i think this option can be usefull and the new post will be displayed in a way with more order (date/forum).

Nice day.:)
Posted on 2003-03-14 12:22:35 by rea

IMHO, also for newcomers, the default should be "view all". Those that then get annoyed by those posts will disable them.

Remember that it's not only Bush bashing.. on The Heap often there are posts with high technical content.. it would be a pity to not even get a chance to know they exist.
Posted on 2003-03-14 15:29:23 by Maverick