I have just succeeded in porting a 1992 quick sort algorithm written by one of the old basic gurus, Ethan Winer to MASM. Ethan Winer was not only a very good basic programmer but a very good assembler programmer as well who provided a complete assembler based replacement for the old Quick Basic runtime library.

It is a non recursive Quick Sort that uses additional memory during the sorting phase. In this implementation, it uses OLE string memory as the additional memory so if you want to test this algo out, you will need to include the "oleaut32" include file and library in your code.

This version in testing on a random 1 meg DWORD array is about 4.5 times faster than the CombSort so it should be a reasonable addition to the algos available for MASM programmers.

The encoding is reasonably efficient, it could probably be nitpicked here and there but there are no speed gains in doing so, the speed is in the algorithm design.

In the attached zip file is the last pair of CombSort algos and two Quick Sort algos for ascending and descending sorts.

Regards,

hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-09-19 05:46:05 by hutch--
Hi Hutch can you repost the download for the sorts if you have time, they seem like there really good, but there no longer here

Thanks
Andy
Posted on 2001-12-04 15:41:07 by andy981
another request for a link to the source... Thanks.
Posted on 2001-12-05 20:54:19 by peterverstappen
H E L L O ???

Hutch - you tease !!!
Posted on 2001-12-06 07:30:53 by gscundiff
hutch-- could you attach the file once again, 'couse i can't find it and you said you attached it

In the attached zip file is the last pair of CombSort algos and two Quick Sort algos for ascending and descending sorts.

btw
your MASM32 7.0 is great!!!:alright:

regards
Posted on 2001-12-08 10:13:15 by NEMO
quick sort and comb sort are in the masm32 library now. check the masmlib help file in \masm32\help for more info.
Posted on 2001-12-08 12:47:34 by Sloat
thanx.... i dont how could miss it, i've must be blind

cya
Posted on 2001-12-08 14:57:47 by NEMO
Sorry Guys,

A mix of senile decay and distraction, I put the sort algos in the current version of the MASM32 library and it has documentation with it.

If anyone is interested in encryption, there are 3 algos that are well suited for removing the weaknesses of block cyphers, they use a key up to the size of the source so if you encrypt critical data with a block cypher and then pass it through any of these, you should bust an array of cray supercomputers.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2001-12-08 17:06:22 by hutch--