Hi donkey,

You got mail.

Regards,

Vortex
Posted on 2003-03-14 09:20:12 by Vortex
Thanks Vortex,

I see that they changed the linker, no more need to remember FILEALIGN:512 when I link (v6). I usually got massive files everytime until it dawned on me to add the alignment directive. Rather disconcerting to have 4 K asm files compile to 20 K.

Donkey
Posted on 2003-03-14 12:42:54 by donkey
Hi donkey,

You are welcome.
Something interesting,you can an get an executable of 2Kb with the linker of
Digital Mars.(a simple messagebox application. 2076 bytes)

Regards,

Vortex
Posted on 2003-03-14 12:52:22 by Vortex
Dastardly off topic...

Just out of curosity (or perhaps a sanity check on my part), I believe Masm 7.x no longer needs "ML.ERR" (it is not included with VC7)... just wondering why it was included in this archive? "Link.exe" also has some other DLL dependancies (not included) as well, but perhaps they are not needed since they seem to pertain to .NET.

Also included in VC7 is a 7.x version of h2inc, though just like MASM, it doesn't seem to have been updated (other then version number) since the one included in the older Masm 6.14 patch (I could be wrong here, it was 6.1x something or other). It will be interesting to see if any of the Masm related tools are updated (other than version numbers) in Visual C/Studio 2003 (should be released any time now). Although, as hutch has stated in the past, so far there have been no benefits to use anything new than what he has already included in Masm v7/8.

Finally, there is also a very cut/dry chm document on Masm included in VC7 (much like the one included with VC6 Processor Pack), though its usefullness is well... maybe not useful at all. Still its kinda neat for VC provide dynamic help when it encounters Masm directives (considering how Microsoft has turned Masm in "just another compiler tool").

I asked the supposed "Visual Studio Product Manager" at the .NET launch last year about the viability of Masm in the future...he said something along the lines of "Masm? Whats that?"... :tongue:

-----
Domain
Posted on 2003-03-14 14:05:16 by Domain
Domain,

You wrote:

>I believe Masm 7.x no longer needs "ML.ERR"

Yes,that's right;just I didn't modify the contents of the original RAR archive (masmv7.rar)
Many thanks to Natas who collected all the files including the new ml.exe

Regards,

Vortex
Posted on 2003-03-14 15:14:38 by Vortex

Thanks Vortex,

I see that they changed the linker, no more need to remember FILEALIGN:512 when I link (v6). I usually got massive files everytime until it dawned on me to add the alignment directive. Rather disconcerting to have 4 K asm files compile to 20 K.

Donkey

I used /ALIGN:16 to produce small output.
Didn't know about that, seems not mentioned in MSDN.
LINK7 has limited the minimum to 0x20 but it's still nice.
However trying to produce image with debug info there's missing MSOBJ10.DLL
- the one from VC6 seems obsolete, probably some newer is needed.

Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 7.10.2240.8
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

/machine:I386
LINK : fatal error LNK2023: bad dll or entry point 'msobj10.dll'!'?FCreateReader@IDebugSSectionReader@@SA_NPAEIPAPAV1@K@Z'
Posted on 2003-03-15 08:38:25 by _Servil_

However trying to produce image with debug info there's missing MSOBJ10.DLL
- the one from VC6 seems obsolete, probably some newer is needed.

Link 7.x has external dependancies of:

msdis130.dll (disassembler)
msobj10.dll (object file parser)
mspdb70.dll (program database)
msvcp70.dll (c++ runtime library)
msvcr70.dll (c runtime library)
msvcrt.dll (*note* this dependancy comes from Windows 2000/XP/2003)
mscoree.dll (*note* this dependancy comes from .Net Framework)
pagodb70.dll (*note* this is a "phantom" dependancy, it is not included with any products I know of...)

I wouldn't have a problem making the missing DLL's available to those on the board would like them (other then the *note* files), but I have no intents to stray beyond the boundaries of "The Rules"... so, I would prefer a consensus from the moderators before I do anything.

-----
Domain
Posted on 2003-03-15 12:30:54 by Domain
Thanks for info,

it's no problem to find the missing libraries -- google helps.

http://www.webzila.com/dll/MSOBJ10.DLL
Posted on 2003-03-15 16:02:40 by _Servil_