I interviewed for a job developing for the AWACS, the company is http://www.astcorp.com/

I am not 100% clear on what all the job entails, but they did say that they will be using C/C++ mainly with a little NASM.

I told them that I would classify myself as a beginner assembler.

The Senior Lead has a website www.drpaulcarter.com, he has some stuff dealing with assembly, I read a little on his site but not a whole lot.

I am just really pumped up to have the opportunity to work with assembly for my job.

Anyways, I don't know if you guys care (Posted on 2003-03-14 22:57:29 by gorshing
Dr. Carter's assembly tutorials was one of tuts that helped me learn assembly when I was just starting out, a year ago. :alright:

Regards to him, though I don't know him. :alright:
Posted on 2003-03-14 23:59:41 by arkane
gorshing,

I am really pleased to hear that you are going to do some commercial work using assembler, NASM is an OK tool when you get used to it but don't be afraid to show them the MASM or similar stuff you have done either.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com :alright:
Posted on 2003-03-15 02:12:08 by hutch--
Gorshing,

Good for you! Work isn?t such a ?job? if its what you like doing. You never know where that new job may lead you.

Let me tell you a story. Eight years ago I was soon to be out of a job do to branch closings. My brother in-law worked for a growing Tool and Die company that had just purchased a half dozen new CNC controlled grinding machines. They had real need to get these CNC machines up and running as quickly as possible but had no means of producing Gcode, other then manually entering it, or a way to feed any created code to the CNC machine from a computer. I had a look at the situation and told the owner of the company I thought I could come up with something that would work.

Will to make a long story short, I made them happy by taking the existing engineering software they where using ( AutoCAD ) and a little app I created in assembly to convert ACAD lists into Gcodes then feed it to the CNC machine.

The owner of the company was very satisfied with what I had done and told me they had a growing need for someone with computer skills. At that time they had two small Novell Servers, one servicing two office workstations and one servicing three engineering workstations. Presently we have three larger servers running Win 2000 available to nearly 70 workstations scattered about between 3 different production buildings and office.

When things are working smoothly it?s a pleasantly boring job but when something goes array it can be quite hectic. When a computer is down, especially a server, it can cost the company thousands of dollars an hour. I love the responsibility and the challenge of keeping it all up and running smoothly. We are currently in the process of converting over to fiber optic cabling instead of microwave transmission between buildings.

For those who might be interested here is the web link to the company.

http://www.rearicktooling.com

Or

http://www.jitprototyping.com

Anywho, good luck in your new job!

Regards,
Posted on 2003-03-15 06:11:34 by bcraven
congratulations on "landing this bird" :grin:

that's a big responsability you have since they control big operations and IFF and such :)
sounds very rewarding as well though since you'll make a real contribution and be able to see the direct consequences of it.

I hope you'll enjoy yourself :alright:
Posted on 2003-03-15 08:24:01 by Hiroshimator