Is there any setting in windows XP for the type of dialog you get when a program crashes? I'd like to get the one I had in win2k, with some more useful info than 'the program has crashed' like what happened (access violation/debug breakpoint/priviliged instruction/etc.) and at what address. I can view it by clicking on 'click here' (and again in the next dialog) but it would be easier to see it immediately.
The default XP dialog might be nice for 'normal' users, but not for us programmers :)

Thomas

P.S. If it isn't possible to change it, anyone know how to redirect the error from a custom JIT debug app to a real debugger (like visual C). That way I could get the info myself but since my app is the JIT debugger then, I need to be able to run VC to take over if necessary. You can pass the process ID to VC but the app being debugged is closed before VC gets a chance to attach to it.
Posted on 2003-03-15 12:52:52 by Thomas
Get your hands on the XP Powertoys and you can set it back to the Win2K dialog.
Posted on 2003-03-15 15:28:26 by bazik
Which powertoy then? Couldn't find it in tweakUI and the others don't seem related to this problem.

Thomas
Posted on 2003-03-16 09:41:51 by Thomas
Not much help I guess, but my Windows XP Pro dialog looks like this:

(as you can see it doesn't even have a "Details" option)
Posted on 2003-03-16 11:32:23 by Qweerdy
when windows xp crashes it asks you if you want to send a error log to there support group over the internet , i think there are details of the crash in this error log
Posted on 2003-03-16 11:35:50 by evilz35

Not much help I guess, but my Windows XP Pro dialog looks like this:
(as you can see it doesn't even have a "Details" option)

Hmm strange... do you have SP1 installed?

when windows xp crashes it asks you if you want to send a error log to there support group over the internet , i think there are details of the crash in this error log

I know, you can even click on 'click here' (twice) to get the details, but I don't want to do that everytime. I just want to see immediately what kind of error it is so I can decide what to do with it (leave it or debug it).

Thomas
Posted on 2003-03-16 11:54:09 by Thomas
Never mind, I found it. In the advanced system properties under error reporting, I had to switch off (!) 'But notify me when critical errors occur' below the enabled 'Disable error reporting' :).

Thomas
Posted on 2003-03-16 11:58:08 by Thomas