In my case, its getting a result in my lifetime restoring this 1874 terrace house.

The latest endeavour is building a picket fence at the front of the house in what is called the "Italianate" style. Gothic profile posts with the pickets having turned acorn heads on them.

For a house that is 15 feet wide, the timber has cost me $820 AU and its all hardwood. The posts are 4 inch (100mm) square and made out of a timber from Maylaysia but I score some rails that are actually recycled Australian hardwood that came from the north of Queensland under the commercial name of "Ironwood".

This stuff is something like tooling granite and it seems to be about that heavy. I have so far placed the posts for the front gate and today finished the front gate and hung it on the biggest hinges I could find to carry the weight.

I still have to put in 2 more posts for the rest of the fence, make the rails and screw the pickets on. Digging the post holes is real fun, the fence butts onto the footpath and under the footpath is blocks of sandstone that stick into our property by about 3 - 4 inches and I have to dig the hole out then chop off the edges of the sandstone to get the posts in the right place.

Seems to keep me amused at the moment but my backbone is feeling its age at the moment. :tongue:

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-03-17 06:04:17 by hutch--
Go hutch!! Grab yourself a nice cold Fosters (heh heh, yeah right) and think of all the posts you still have to do :) You should grab a camera and post a picture or two here. I would have thought that a house that is only 15' wide wouldn't fit much more than a hobbit inside it :grin:

Chicks love picket fences, they equate them with security and stability. And coulod you use a chainsaw on the sandstone? Or maybe a large impact drill?
Posted on 2003-03-17 06:23:54 by sluggy
sluggy,

You are not doing your homework, in Sydney you drink Tooheys beer which I think is owned by a brewery in new Zealand.

When I get a bit more of it finished, i will post a picture but I have to get a guy up the road to write a CD from his digital camera to do it.

I don't think you have the right climate in NZ for hardwoods of this type, truly magic stuff in terms of strength but really dense and heavy.

The construction technique has nothing to do with carpentery, its an engineering technique called "bridge construction" where you cut precision joins and bolt or screw it together. It was originally used for constructing railway bridges.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-03-17 06:54:30 by hutch--
And I'm trying to find the energy to run some barbed wire 30 feet across an opening at my property.:rolleyes:
Posted on 2003-03-17 07:27:27 by drhowarddrfine
And I'm trying to find the energy to run some barbed wire 30 feet across an opening at my property.
Is that to keep the hordes out, or to keep the women in? :grin:
Posted on 2003-03-18 03:57:18 by sluggy
Keep the hordes out. I don't have any trouble keeping the women in.:alright:
We have a cool lake and some excellent hunting property. Usually around hunting season is when we get trespassers. I really don't mind it too much if they would just ask permission or leave a note on my door saying they were there. I've told several people it was OK to come down and chop some firewood, fish, hunt for mushrooms, etc. But last time someone came on with an ATV and kind of tore up one area.

I tell them to leave a note because if my son comes down with that missile launcher of a rifle he has to do target practice they may become an inadvertant target.
Posted on 2003-03-18 07:51:43 by drhowarddrfine