I know asm for the TI-83 plus calc that has a 8 bit z80 cpu in it.
So with that in mind what do you think is good tut I should read yo learn x86 asm?
Posted on 2003-03-18 00:40:16 by Josh160
Iczelion's at the top of this forum are very good also MadWizard has a very good one

http://spiff.tripnet.se/~iczelion/

http://www.madwizard.org/view.php?page=tutorials.contents

Donkey
Posted on 2003-03-18 00:44:42 by donkey
thanks, these look like some good tuts.
Posted on 2003-03-18 00:56:39 by Josh160
Posted on 2003-03-18 01:33:56 by roticv
Josh,

Also have a look at Randy Hyde's Art of Assembler. Randy runds a forum here so if you ask a question there, he may be able to help you. Its the HLA forum.

You will find x86 assembler is a lot different to what you have done but if you have a head for the logic, you may be able to get the swing of it.

Regards and good luck.

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-03-18 03:19:30 by hutch--
I'm also a newbie to x86 assembly and would like to comment on this subject as I see it.

There are many, many resources for learning 16-bit x86 assembly, most of which will run in the DOS terminal of the various Win32 OSes. A basic understanding of PC architecture (registers, buses, memory, etc.) is required to start making sense of what assembly language is and does on the PC. Of the *many* books I've hoarded it the last few months, the one I've really enjoyed *learning* from is the Microsoft Macro Assembler Bible (2nd edition covers MASM 6.x and is coauthored by Randall Hyde of the Art Of Assembly fame). A book like this will introduce you to using assembly language for the PC, including many of the various opcodes and directives that are used in Masm32.

Learning 32-bit Windows assembly is really the way to go nowadays compared to the above. But besides a few great online tutorials, there are no books covering Win32 assembly in detail. Win32 assembly not only requires knowledge of basic assembly language (opcodes, directives, etc.), but also Win32 API (application programming interface) programming as used in higher level languages like C/C++. IMO, learning how to program using the Win32 API has a steep learning curve and C++ frameworks like Microsoft's MFC and Borland's BCL attempt to wrap the API in a more digestable format. A book like Programming Windows which covers Win32 API programming via C could be read to get started learning about API programming so you are capable of translating code into Win32 assembly.

Thus, a modern assembly programmer is required to know both assembly and quite a bit of Win32 API (and thus some knowledge of C in order to understand and translate standard API resources).

Randall Hyde is publishing a book soon that will cover Win32 programming via his High Level Assembler language.

Ah, I forgot to add that an awesome tool for learning basic 8086 assembly is the integrated source editor, assembler, disassembler, software emulator and visual debugger called emu8086.
Posted on 2003-03-18 03:21:01 by Masmer
I forgot to mention on this forum earlier, that I have added some new tutorials on my free asm+Win32 resources site. These are particularly orientated towards the complete beginner, although they contain some detailed stuff for the hardened asm+Win32 programmer too. The free tools available are assembler (GoAsm), linker (GoLink), resource compiler (GoRC) and debugger for 9x and ME (GoBug). GoBug for NT, 2000 and XP is available only for purchase I'm afraid. There is also Testbug (a Win32 demo program), and various links and sample code.
Posted on 2003-03-24 09:33:58 by jorgon