Hi !

Where I work, we would like to upgrade our slow and buggy win98 systems to Windows 2000 Pro (I don't like WinXP, we are not kids but professionnals).
As I will also change the hardware progressively (and Hard Drives), my question is : can we do a fresh install (without windows on the disk) using an upgrade copy ?
The full copy is more expensive of 150 EUR, and if we can spare this money, it is much better... :)
We have Office 2000 Upgrade, and it can not be installed without an older version on it. Is it the same for Windows ?

By the way, just for curiosity, do you have heard that MS can go into companies "at random" to check if they are using warez copies ? I do not want to do that, of course, but I wonder what power they have to fight against piracy ?

Thanks.
Posted on 2003-03-20 03:29:02 by JCP
I have never tried it, but experience/instinct tells me that you should be able to do a full clean install with just the upgrade version. You may have to rearrange a config setting or two on the cd though (i.e. create a new cd with the altered ini file(s)).

By the way, just for curiosity, do you have heard that MS can go into companies "at random" to check if they are using warez copies ? I do not want to do that, of course, but I wonder what power they have to fight against piracy ?
Most big companies (MS, Borland, Oracle, IBM, etc) have a clause like that buried in their commercial contracts, but in reality it is toothless as the normal laws of a country over-ride whatever is in a contract. A company i worked for was audited once by MS, all it entailed was MS requesting a audit to be done by the chief bean-counter (accountant), he did it then handed the report to MS, if you are not paying enough for the licenses you are using then MS bill you for the difference. Oracle have no need to do audits, as they routinely sell you 100 times more licenses than you will ever use :rolleyes:
Posted on 2003-03-20 05:18:58 by sluggy
maybe you should evaluate your need for a windows OS if the company is in need of saving the money required for the upgrades.
What exactly would they be used for and what are your current assets that need to be available immediately or which you think could not be ported to a different platform?
Posted on 2003-03-20 05:34:55 by Hiroshimator
I have no experience with the Windows 2000 upgrade, but have bought both the Win98 and Win98se upgrade CDs. When I have used either one for a clean install, setup asks for a quailifying product, so I insert my Win95 CD which setup scans and then proceeds with the install.

I'm pretty sure the Win2k Upgrade works like the WinXP Upgrade as discussed here: http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/tips/winxp/XPug.htm
Posted on 2003-03-20 06:05:32 by Masmer
Originally posted by Hiroshimator
maybe you should evaluate your need for a windows OS if the company is in need of saving the money required for the upgrades.

No, no, the company has money, but we also have budgets to respect. And the hardware/software one is not really big.
Posted on 2003-03-20 06:14:20 by JCP

I have never tried it, but experience/instinct tells me that you should be able to do a full clean install with just the upgrade version. You may have to rearrange a config setting or two on the cd though (i.e. create a new cd with the altered ini file(s)).

Most big companies (MS, Borland, Oracle, IBM, etc) have a clause like that buried in their commercial contracts, but in reality it is toothless as the normal laws of a country over-ride whatever is in a contract. A company i worked for was audited once by MS, all it entailed was MS requesting a audit to be done by the chief bean-counter (accountant), he did it then handed the report to MS, if you are not paying enough for the licenses you are using then MS bill you for the difference. Oracle have no need to do audits, as they routinely sell you 100 times more licenses than you will ever use :rolleyes:

Yes: I have received a letter from them one day that asked for an audit: I had no time to search for licenses, etc, so I never sent it back. Nothing happened... they just sent a new letter again, but I found these methods quite harsh and not very respectful to their customers !
Posted on 2003-03-20 06:48:47 by JCP
Hrmmm...

Well I don't condone this method, especially within a buisness enviorment, but you might want to do a search on google for "Setupp.ini".

As for the Microsoft "searching for licenses", i'm not sure about thier legal authority to do such a thing (read the EULA though), although they have been sucessful with such operations in the past. However, note that if you recieve a letter from the "BSA", you can pretty much throw it in the trashcan, since they have no authority to do such things. The BSA (backed by big software companies) is more like a extortion ring that anything else, sending out letters and warnings in hopes of "scaring" people into getting all of their software "legal" (if it isn't already).

-----
Domain
Posted on 2003-03-20 14:13:06 by Domain