Don't you find it annoying ?

Recently, most of the good sites requires you to register yourself in their database to access the content of the website, it is now the case at CodeProject, for example...
It is really annoying when you are in a hurry to register to read something that may not even be able to help/interest you... of course, they need a real email adress to spam you !

Please, webmasters, stop doing this...

PS : This message board requires registeration but only for posting and not reading: I find this a good compromise but most websites are really going nuts with this...
Posted on 2003-03-21 06:42:14 by JCP
Error: In order to read iblis's reply to this post, you must either log in or register. Registration for iblis replies is quick, easy, and free.

Forgot your password? Click here.
Posted on 2003-03-21 07:43:38 by iblis
I clicked but it did nothing. I must be banned :(
Posted on 2003-03-21 08:40:28 by Hiroshimator
Me too. Sux to be me.

Fake
Posted on 2003-03-21 08:58:07 by Fake51
I found a shortcut:
here . You only have to specify 3 names, nickname, passwords of all your email and site accounts, star sign, blood group, height, dislikes, ........, and after you apply, you have to wait for a snail-mail to come at your place, with the 140-char temporary password, that is written in 3mm font for security reasons. The subscription is free, but the mail is at your cost, and membership costs $30 a month. But hey, subscription is free!
Posted on 2003-03-21 15:46:54 by Ultrano
Yes,the registration procedure is boring...
Posted on 2003-03-22 04:45:33 by Vortex
My favourite: (this is what happens if I use to "strong" passwords (using chars other than alpha-nums, some sites disallow chars like !"#?%&/()=?, ), which you can enter at regristration but not at logon time, I've had big problems with that)

Unable to login!
Invalids chars in password.
Posted on 2003-03-22 04:46:40 by scientica
It's annoying but it's one of the only things they can do against blatant contentstealing. :/

it's very easy to remotely load a page, remove any ads or links/referers to the original site and display it as your own.
Posted on 2003-03-22 04:48:59 by Hiroshimator

It's annoying but it's one of the only things they can do against blatant contentstealing. :/

it's very easy to remotely load a page, remove any ads or links/referers to the original site and display it as your own.

But it is really stupid way to protect content. It will not really protect it, but site users will have yet another obstacles. Such "protection" is pointless.
Posted on 2003-03-25 07:53:57 by Aquila
you can identify and sue the content stealer when he uses a given login
it makes for easy proof and violation of guidelines.

Law requires you to set up measurements against stealing.
Posted on 2003-03-25 08:11:19 by Hiroshimator
Now I see.
Posted on 2003-03-25 08:22:19 by Aquila
My favorite password is

GRANT UPDATE ON DISCOUNTS_TABLE FROM IWEB_USER

How can you forget that one???

Acutally, truth be known, I create an alias for every recipient. While its annoying having to create so many, I try not to have a "catch all" alias because I want each recipient to be unique (friends, also) so I can "track" who the offender is, and cut it off without having to cut the others off that aren't offending. So far, I have about 100 that aren't and 0 that are. But most sites, if you can opt out, and do, "appear" to be faithful. Since I don't to pr0n sites I'm not affected by those that are immoral.

And there's nothing worse... I'm looking for a house and to view most listings online you have to sign up for "free" and confirm the account and then agree to have them call you to share other important new listings and so on so forth. It's annoying that we can't just browse without having to notify them of our email addy.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2003-03-30 21:01:53 by _Shawn