What's up Nada, and other Coders,

I been thinking tonight and i remember about your post about paying $80.00 per icon and you need 10 of them.... They think it is all done on the computer..... and it is NOT....

Well GET READY :) :) :) I forgot all about this... So years ago i had a scanner but it went bad so i forgot about what i use to do with it sometimes.... I am a printer by trade... and don't make much money in that game anymore.... But you don't need all that equipment.

Find some of your favorite designs...

Print some letter or logo on paper...

Go to Kinko's or a great copy center....

Get some tranparent copies of everything you got.... And if you really want to get serious PUT A SCREEN on it.... buy your favorite screen for about 20 bucks or make your OWN...

Go home and line it all up...

SCAN IT...

and make BITMAP out of it...

Get the BitMap to Icon Program....

s800.00 worth of ICONS in YOUR POCKET :) :) :)

And they are all yours OWN ... free of copyright laws because they are all fully COUSTOMIZED by you....
Posted on 2003-03-26 01:52:25 by cmax
hrm, scanning icon graphics? oh yes, your pretty handdrawn icons will look so good when scanned in and clamped down to 32x32. Nah, draw them in an icon editor - gives a lot better results.

But still, no matter how you do it, you have to be able to actually draw to get some good icons. I can't draw, I get sucky icons. Doesn't matter if I use an icon editor or draw it on paper. Or well... it would be even suckier if I drew it on paper and scanned it :)
Posted on 2003-03-26 02:45:55 by f0dder
Hello f0dder ,

Kinko and maybe someother copy center gives you super high definition quality if you demand it. It might take you away from the computer for a while but when you come back you will have your own... It's works and true graphics start on real paper. I seen this done so i know i am right. They even got Mac's for it so you know Mac never lie when it comes to true graphics. Be nice to those people and they will let you run the whole place after 1:00 am... with payment due what ever is decent out your pocket when you treat these people right and the funny thing they put it all in the cash register with receipt... NO LIE.

PS: Now i know what you are talking about... 32 x 32 ... they got equipment that will help you to get down there. think about it TELESCOPE it DOWN... as you do your set-up ( paper or what ever) ...

I did this stuff so many times before and it was nicer than anything most people who do it staright computer have ever seen.... This was back in the 3x days...than you put it on a mac if you have to.....

Everybody know MAC is 1000 x better than any P4 when it comes to graphics. All computers have it place in this market.

All i am saying is TRY IT and you will win as you know how to do it downnnnnn to even 16
Posted on 2003-03-26 03:16:33 by cmax
use MS paint and irfanview <--- all free :P
Posted on 2003-03-26 03:30:17 by Hiroshimator
The problem isn't really the scanning process - you can get decent scans even with fairly inexpensive home equipment, so I would imagine a dedicated copy center can give some quite nice digitalizations. The problem lies in reducing something you've hand-drawn to icon size. If you need a fairly large bitmap, sure, scanning can be an option. But reducing something to the typical icon size of 32x32 pixels very rarely give good results - good icons are usually drawn pixel by pixel; that's one of the reason icon editors don't have all the fancy tools that photoshop has :-)
Posted on 2003-03-26 03:32:02 by f0dder
Scanning, of cource you will what to do some FIX-UP. If you can't draw this all makes it ever so easy....

Go ahead and use a computer program if you know how to draw but if you don't... TELESCOPE it DOWN. If you never done it before but you got an idea ...I tell you what... you will see two or three of them builed in my app by JULY 2003 than you be the JUDGE.... sure you have to do fix up but it is as easy as tracing once you get it down to size....

You know when you go to the library, they got this thing where little bitty letter looks the size of an orange.... Work from there.... They got that kind of equipment.

You will see... :)
Posted on 2003-03-26 03:52:05 by cmax
<off-topic?>

I'm all about free(ware)!

I use Irfanview for image viewing, Icon Studio for creating icons, and Oriens Enhancer GOLD for image editing\viewing.

Icon Studio comes with many icons that I imagine are redistributable. Check out the high rez babe ...

Posted on 2003-03-26 03:54:23 by Masmer
Masmer

That will be a big help...

Tools like these is what i use to use to break it all down. It been a long time but that was a small job i did for a few people long ago and it did look VERY good now since asm i plan to do it for myself too...

Going to download them right now and come back in July to show off BIG TIME ...
Posted on 2003-03-26 04:08:41 by cmax