Hello everyone, I just registered last night, and I am really suprised at how friendly everyone is. Much nicer than the news groups, heh ;) I have a question about using Visual Studio with MASM...how do you do it? I did a search on google, but when I tried the things one the returned pages, it didn't quite work. I was able to get programs to assemble, but no luck with linking them. I don't think I know the proper paramaters to set for the customized tool. Any help, or just a point in the right direction would be great. I don't know if it helps any, but I am using the Win32 assembly package from Iczelion's web site (by far the best programming tutorials I have seen in assembly). Thanks a lot, Cheers!:grin:
Posted on 2001-09-22 19:03:25 by AlexEiffel
Greetings.

I've got VS6 but I haven't tried to integrate MASM. We do have a thread or 2 about it I believe. Try a search on Visual Studio.

I've put together my own tools for MASM and sort of have my own IDE. But the editor that comes with MASM32 does make a good starting IDE. Try playing with it for a while.

One thing I did do was convert the LIB files that come with VS, using hutch's L2EXTIA (or L2INC) utility. I don't think it makes much difference, especially for "basic" type stuff, but I didn't want to run 2 versions, and MASM32 comes with the SDK LIB files, which are different.

:)
Posted on 2001-09-22 19:40:30 by S/390
Alex,

S/390 has given you some good advice in how to approach modern 32 bit assembler. What I would suggest is have a play with the MASM32 package for a while until you get the swing of how it all hangs together. In the short term, EXE files are probably easier to get the swing of how assembler works and depending on what you need later, you can create DLLs and library modules to use with Visual C when you need some genuine grunt in what you are doing.

Regards and good luck.

hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-09-22 20:00:20 by hutch--
Wow, you guys are pretty fast. Thanks for everything. I will take your advice and use the editor that came with MASM until I have a better understanding of things.
Posted on 2001-09-22 20:07:20 by AlexEiffel
hello,

this is a small sample of an ASM project in VC (version 5, but should work with 6 as well)

japheth
Posted on 2001-09-23 01:49:31 by japheth
Best forum for any serious coder (ASM). I love this place because everyone is extremely devoted in helping each other out.

People dont seem to race to be the first one to answer a simple question, and they dont harrase (well that much :) ) the people who do. ( Its best to be correct in your 'advisements' as i have learned :) ).

I personally think ASM is the most efficient coding language, when you add in the learning curve of other languages. Especially when you want some specific task done. Too bad i can't start a business of this, as its not fashionable for standard markets to have their software coded in ASM. (Seeing Most managers want Bloat-Ware in less time, than effiecient code done well :( ).

I hope i see you post again some time soon...

NaN
Posted on 2001-09-23 02:17:57 by NaN
Using masm in visual studio is nice on large projects, as you don't
have to mess with batch/make files... and a bit faster than plain
batch files, because only changed asm files are reassembled. And
it's not too hard (just learn the commandline options to ml.exe).
but... the VS ide sort of "forgets" the options specified for a "folder"
(ie, Asm Files), so on each asm file you add, you will have to set
the options. Annoying.

I saw some stuff for automating this, but it crashed on my computer,
and I think it was written in VB? It had a pretty high memory load
anyway. I believe it should be possible to make something yourself
for this, via the builtin scripting of VS, but I haven't had a look at this.
Posted on 2001-09-23 10:39:13 by f0dder
japheth, I'm not sure why VC6 crashs when loading your example. The one below should work. Thanks, japheth.
Posted on 2001-09-23 15:49:03 by bitRAKE