Friends,

This is my IDE. Please download, test and inform me for any bugs and/or suggestions you may have.

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2003-03-27 06:45:44 by akyprian
Hi akyprian
Urm..., the another guy who attemp to create an IDE. :tongue:
There's so very long road in front of you, so keep going on. :)
Posted on 2003-03-27 07:01:39 by Bi_Dark
Very cool! :alright:

It's small but has nice features.

But I get the following when assembling, and there is a source file in the project

MASM : fatal error A1017: missing source filename

Here's the contents of the project file:

Type=0

1=MSGBOX.ASM

CompileRC=E:\Masm32\BIN\rc /v
RCToObj=E:\Masm32\BIN\cvtres /machine:ix86
Assemble=E:\Masm32\BIN\ML /c /coff /Cp /IE:\Masm32\INCLUDE
Link=E:\Masm32\BIN\Link /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /RELEASE /VERSION:4.0 /LIBPATH:E:\Masm32\INCLUDE

Update: I put the asm and obj files manually in the Make options and this worked. Are we supposed to edit the Make options for each project?
Posted on 2003-03-27 07:01:51 by Masmer
Hi akyprian

Great work! :alright:

No bugs to report yet.

KetilO
Posted on 2003-03-27 08:41:51 by KetilO
Nice work!

However i do have a question. Did you by any chance base your work on Justin Deckers IDE http://visualasm.cjb.net/, which is incidently also called Visual ASM ?

It's just that i use this editor (well a customized version, which I updated a bit) mysel and the first thought that entered my head was, he released a new version! (the project was apparently dead, but he has released the source code on request)
I can even open project files from one editor with the other and visa versa.

Anyways, whatever the case, i think i'll be using your version now if you don't mind, so thanks a lot!

Joshua
Posted on 2003-03-27 09:35:04 by Joshua
Thanks all of you friends,

1)Bi_Dark:Could you show me the road?
2)Masmer:Yes we have to do "some" editing to the Make options for each project. I know this not very convinient, but I think it is more flexible. I am willing to hear whatever you think is more convinient and flexible. Thanks for the feedback.
3)KetiIO:Thanks. You are the best. BTW, you new RAEdit has more flickering near both the vertical and horizontal scrollbars. Please, you have done such a great work. Fix this.
4)Joshua:Justin Deckers IDE has nothing to do with this IDE. I do not use it at all. Everybody can feel free to use my IDE.

Regards,

akyprian.
Posted on 2003-03-27 10:12:09 by akyprian
I meant no disrespect, it was just a question.

By the way, you think you could add a setting for the 'Execute' function too?
like:
CompileRC=C:\blahblahblah
RCToObj=C:\blahblahblah
Assemble=C:\blahblahblah
Link=C:\blahblahblah
Execute=C:\blahblahblah

It's just that my executable isn't always compiled in the source directory...

Thanks
Joshua
Posted on 2003-03-27 10:28:07 by Joshua
Joshua,

As far as the "Execute" command is concerned, why not? I will think about it.

Thanks,

akyprian.
Posted on 2003-03-27 12:00:37 by akyprian

2)Masmer:Yes we have to do "some" editing to the Make options for each project. I know this not very convinient, but I think it is more flexible. I am willing to hear whatever you think is more convinient and flexible. Thanks for the feedback.
Hum, I guess it might require auto-generating a make file that includes all assembly and resource files added to the project.

Another idea: in Borland C++ 5.0.2 right-clicking on a C source file in the project manager gives the option to convert (output) the source file to an assembly file (Tasm). Perhaps something similar for Visual ASM could be implemented?

These are just suggestions if you wished to continue working on Visual ASM and had the interest and free time. :tongue:
Posted on 2003-03-28 06:59:51 by Masmer
Masmer, You said:

Another idea: in Borland C++ 5.0.2 right-clicking on a C source file in the project manager gives the option to convert (output) the source file to an assembly file (Tasm). Perhaps something similar for Visual ASM could be implemented?

To what format the source file is supposed to be converted (It will already be in Assembly, I guess).

Thanks,

akyprian
Posted on 2003-03-28 07:26:46 by akyprian
Hi,

I have a couple more small sugestions:
1) When selecting a proc form the top of the window (select procedure), have the proc display on the first line, not halfway the window, so you get:

AProcName proc Param1:DWORD
code here

instead of:

code here
APreviousProcName endp

AProcName proc Param1:DWORD
code here

(i hope this makes sense)

2) Allow the project file (vap file) to be opened to be passed on the commandline, so it is opened immediately (so you don't get the open file dialog). This allows us to set a file association with the .vap extension to automaticly open the project.

3) Set a setting in the project file, to see if the output window was open, and if so, automaticly show it when the project is opened.

Thanks,
Joshua
Posted on 2003-03-28 07:52:00 by Joshua
Sorry, that wasn't a good example. I'm not thinking straight right now due to lack of sleep. I meant right-clicking on an assembly file and choosing to assemble it or link the associated object file from a context menu. But that wouldn't do for multi-file projects, so my original auto-make file suggestion would be better.
Posted on 2003-03-28 08:44:55 by Masmer
Joshua,

1)Good Idea.
2)I set a file association with the .vap extension and the project opens. Dosen't it work for you?
3)I do not see a good reason for that.
Posted on 2003-03-28 11:06:43 by akyprian
No, it doens't automaticly open. The open file dialog does default to the directory the project file is in, but i still have to select it again for it to open.

I also have another small problem. I have trouble executing .bat files as the assemble, link,... commands. They execute fine, but don't return (ie Visual ASM hangs, i guess on a call to WaitForSingleObject, but i'm not sure). This is probably because .bat files don't automaticly close (you have to use the CLS hack), and thus don't return an exit code (and thus i guess WaitForSingleObject doesn't work). If this is indeed the problem, perhaps you could just run the seperate process, but don't wait for it to finish. Keep in mind tho that this is just guesswork, i didn't really look into what could be the cause of the problem.
Posted on 2003-03-28 18:35:17 by Joshua
Joshua,

1)Do you try to open a vap file from the command line or by double clicking on it?(What OS do you have?)

2)You are not supposed to execute batch files from the assemble, link, etc commands. I'll add this feature to a new release.

3)I started a thread about the tooltips shown for minimize,maximize,close etc some days ago and you replied with a compiled example. Can you, please, give me some code sample of how to change these tooltips?

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2003-03-29 00:19:09 by akyprian
Umm... this is a nice IDE, but could you do something to support imitating command line arguments in the "Make Options"? This would allow me to use any assembler with this IDE. For example, check out ConTEXT programmers' editor and it's idea of supporting all kinds of compilers through the use of setting command line arguments.

And... a customizable syntax hilighter would be great!
Posted on 2003-03-29 05:34:53 by president
Thanks Mr President!,

I'll try to do my best in a new release.

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2003-03-29 06:07:06 by akyprian
I'm not really into giving out full source codes, i rather point ppl in the right direction and let them find their own path, but since you've been so kind as to share this great IDE with us, i might make an exception. However i'd rather not share it with the entire world (i put a lot of sweat and time into researching how it is done, so it's hard to just give it away)... Perhaps you have an email address i can contact you with?

Now back to the bug squaching:
I double clicked the file, but if i recal correctly double clicking a file (with the file association set of course) is handled the same by windows as passing the filename on the commandline. Anyways i run Win98SE (i you wish i can test it on NT4 and Win95 too, but i haven't so far).

Thanks
Joshua
Posted on 2003-03-29 06:19:36 by Joshua
Generally speaking... I would just like this IDE to be FASM compliant. My previous post is of no account if you know another way to make VisualASM to support FASM.

President.
Posted on 2003-03-29 06:22:02 by president
He said he would include support to run batch files in the next version, so then you can do wathever you want...
Posted on 2003-03-29 06:25:04 by Joshua