What's so mega-duper-cool in fasm?

in other words...

!!!

Poland?

...heh...

...bez komentarza...:P

Why should i use it?
Posted on 2003-03-29 16:22:42 by ti_mo_n
Well im sure everyone else will have more convincing reasons for you to use Fasm, but these are just my thoughts.

1. Your aloud to create another OS with this assembler
with assemblers such as Masm and Nasm they have things against this and it is illegal using their Assembler for such a purpose.

2. Open Source Assembler'
you can modify the assembler to your liking. As i've done so already a few changes here and there.

lol i have so many other reasons rambling in my head but their not of relevance to convincing you. I hope this doesn't turn you away:alright:
Posted on 2003-03-29 17:36:01 by Guy on ASM
Cause Privalov is a nice guy.
Posted on 2003-03-29 19:18:18 by Eóin
Cause chicks dig FASM.
Posted on 2003-03-29 19:56:02 by bazik
Because you can get a response from the author if you have a question.

Because it's an assembler wrote in assembler for assembly language programmers.

Because it isn't very dependant on the OS - you can make it run on your OS easily.

Because there are fewer reasons not to use it. :)
Posted on 2003-03-29 20:21:10 by bitRAKE
so, where can i dl it?
(i'm too lazy to look 4 it :) )

modify?
its source is included?
if yes -> cool (i always wanted to change a thing or 2 in my TASM (yes, i use TASM))
if no -> ... dunno ... :confused:
Posted on 2003-03-29 21:09:11 by ti_mo_n
Wow, how do you post? Using a web-bot? :rolleyes:

FASM release announcement is right at the top of this board. Just read it and you know how to get it. And, yes, Privalov includes the source code in the downloadable archive.
Posted on 2003-03-29 21:35:41 by Starless

Cause Privalov is a nice guy.

Kawaii :).
Posted on 2003-03-31 02:38:15 by Aquila
Posted on 2003-03-31 03:03:38 by Vortex
There is something bout Fasm, u just cant resist !
Posted on 2003-04-04 06:19:00 by Casper
i haven't dl'ed it yet, becaue i want to know if it is somehow similiar to tasm
(my problem is that i have never used masm, nasm, etc., so i want to know if i'll find myself there)
and...:
is there IDEAL mode there (or something similiar to it) ?
Posted on 2003-04-15 13:43:35 by ti_mo_n
because it has incredible macro power, you can make anything with it, and its really simplistic. There's no IDEAL mode.
Posted on 2003-04-15 14:04:41 by CyberGuy

is there IDEAL mode there (or something similiar to it) ?

The entire FASM syntax is based on the TASM's IDEAL mode (with some influence of NASM).
Posted on 2003-04-15 15:10:12 by Tomasz Grysztar
ti mo wiesniaku, a co ci szkodzi zeby uzywac innego asemblera, jedni wola piwo, drudzy zyto :), czy jak to bylo, z ciekawych rzeczy jakie oferuje fasm to maxymalna mozliwosc ingerencji w tworzony program wynikowy, chociaz wg mnie trzeba byc sado-maso, zeby recznie budowac strukture zasobow, importow :), ale niektorzy lubia sobie z bicza walic po tylku, chyba bym sie zajebal, jakbym mial recznie "strugac" 20 form DIALOGEX :)

fasm rulez, fajnie ze polski program stal sie tak popularny, moze kiedys nawet w kraju swego pochodzenia :), chociaz obecnie masm ma palme pierwszenstwa, tomek powinien go bardziej promowac w undergroundowych zinach, a nie w sterylnym Software 2.0, gdzie pewnie 90% kolesi nie wiedzialo o czym pisze (mov, push to ma cos wspolnego z posuwaniem?)

nie sprawdzalem jeszcze, ale ciekawe czy chwyta instrukcje lea eax,eax (nie lea eax,), jesli tak, to sie przesiadam :)

fasm rulez planet world :)
Posted on 2003-04-22 17:01:10 by bart
BART: A MMX OBSLUGUJE? (A JESLI TAK TO SSE TEZ?)
BART: no i jak? dziala lea eax, eax :) ?? :))

ALL: does it support MMX (and if it does: SSE too?) any better than tasm (tasm puts some fu...in' 'NOP's after each call or jmp, it suxx really. i have do delete it maually.
Posted on 2003-06-09 10:12:31 by ti_mo_n
LOL widze ze jezyk polski powoli staje sie tu urzedowym :tongue: moze w UE tez kiedys bedzie :alright:

Apropo fasm-a to chcialem sie go nauczyc niestety brak tam czegos takiego jak tutoriale od iczeliona. Jesli jest tam cos takiego ale naprzyklad napisane przez kogos innego to dajcie glos prosze >:)
Posted on 2003-06-09 16:25:07 by AceEmbler
bez iczeliona ani rusz hehe (to musisz byc zajebistym koderem), a z niego taki miekki pionek na dodatek :o
Posted on 2003-06-10 04:01:54 by bart

because it has incredible macro power, you can make anything with it, and its really simplistic.

????
FASM has *okay* macros, but I'm not sure I'd label them "incredible".
Definitely they're much simpler than the macros in MASM, TASM, and HLA, but I'm not sure that's how I'd define "incredible macro power".

For example, try and create a "switch/case" statement (like C) that is fully nestable using FASM's macros. That's doable with HLA and even MASM, possibly even with NASM (because they have the push and pop context facilities). Now I haven't looked *that* closely at FASM's macros, but I suspect you'd have a bit of a problem doing this with FASM's macros.

FASM is a great little assembler, no doubt about it. But don't go overboard with the hype here!
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-06-10 23:52:10 by rhyde

For example, try and create a "switch/case" statement (like C) that is fully nestable using FASM's macros. That's doable with HLA and even MASM, possibly even with NASM (because they have the push and pop context facilities). Now I haven't looked *that* closely at FASM's macros, but I suspect you'd have a bit of a problem doing this with FASM's macros.

Switch/Case, doh, that's for women! :tongue:
I don't use Switch/Case, I try to avoid it (it's too much HLL for me), but it can't be that hard to create macros for, using some similar technices that is used in the proc/enter/return macros should do, perhaps a switch/case-block could look like this:
switch eax

case 5 ; fall thorugt to case 0, hence no end_case at case end
nop
case 0
nop
end_case ; think C++ "break;"
default ; default case
retn
end_case
end_switch

where switch set some vaiable-thingy to eax, and case simply "mov eax,switch_arg/cmp vaiable-thingy,case_arg/jnz 'end case'". And end_case or break if you want to keep the HLL name, simply jumps to 'end case'. As you can see this would trash eax, using macro variables could perpahs this can be avoided
Posted on 2003-06-11 02:42:50 by scientica

bez iczeliona ani rusz hehe (to musisz byc zajebistym koderem), a z niego taki miekki pionek na dodatek :o

Ale masz problem, Niemam czasu bawic sie w odkrywanie windowsa ani nowego asemblera. Wogule z asemblerem dopiero zaczynam wiec sie odpierdol.:alright:
Posted on 2003-06-11 07:02:05 by AceEmbler