ahem...

i finally decided to download an install the SDK, so errr... what next?

i've got a bunch of files on my hard disk, all installed apparently, heaps of help files with the extension .hxc or .hxs which are apparently Compiled Microsoft Help files.

always the simple things... ...i thought this SDK thing would build me killer robots or tell me how to beat the house, pick up women, win the lotto or failing that, maybe give me some information on some picky windows internals, all i need to know now is HOW TO USE IT.

:stupid:
Posted on 2003-03-29 22:12:33 by Crunchi
There should be a menu item for the sdk, I think it's under Development Tools. Run it from there as it uses the new HTML Help 2 format that it seems Microsoft does not feel the need to release any information about to lowly schmoes like us. Make sure that you have dexplore in your common files folder (it should have been installed with the SDK). When you need to know something just type it in and it'll tell you what you need to know. There are overviews and command groups that are extemely useful.
Posted on 2003-03-29 22:29:43 by donkey
Donkey, always comming to my rescue.

one thing though, i don't exactly have a folder called development tools. i went to the SDK site and downloaded the core SDK, is there something else i have to install/download? i have to leave for work now. but i'll check back here again tonight.
Posted on 2003-03-29 22:37:34 by Crunchi
I'm sorry, I should have said it was a Start Menu item in the Development Tools program group.

The SDK has to be installed. I believe that it comes with an install batch file that unpacks the files and ceates the install folder. Then at that point you run Setup. I am only guessing about the method but I know that it has to be installed. I use the MSDN disks though I did install it once but that was a while ago.

From what I remember :

Run the batch file to extract the cabs into an install folder.
Run the setup program and select the components that you wish to install
once those components are installed you access the SDK via the start menu
Posted on 2003-03-29 22:45:37 by donkey
Crunchi,

If there is one thing worth getting from the SDK, its the html help documentation, primarily the PLATFORMSDK documentation as it will give you the most up to date info on API and other functions. My development box is down at the moment but you need to set up the right file that shows the main index with HH.EXE depending on your Windows version and then you can access all of the required function references.

This is the line to set up the html help that I use with my editor,

Platform SDK,C:\WINDOWS\HH.EXE G:\Help\platsdk.col

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-03-29 23:29:08 by hutch--
Actually Crunchi you don't have to worry about the HH.exe comand, the new SDK uses dexplore instead, I can't tell you what the new commandline is but you can get it from the link in your start menu. There's no documentation available on htmlhelp 2 format so none of the current IDE embedded sdk search engines work with it. It would be nice if one day MS would document it but I see that they have decided to scrap the format but are continuing to use it only for the SDK, obviously to promote their .NET studio which is the only package that integrates with it. You can still use it as a stand alone package however.
Posted on 2003-03-30 05:09:34 by donkey
i couldn't get it to work so i deleted it, and actually found this, i'm going to try it one i finish downloading all 20 parts, i've got cable so it should just take and hour or so as opposed to about 1 month on my old 56.6 connection

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=7927&highlight=Platform+SDK+problems

thanks for all your help.
Posted on 2003-03-30 09:42:19 by Crunchi