In the Windows OS, there is a file called "hosts," found somewhere in the system folder. On my computer, it's location is "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts". However, it could be named something else on a non-XP computer. Just seach for a file called "hosts" or "hosts.*"

What use is this file? It is used to redirect IP addresses for network users, so that they can use a unique name instead of an IP address ###.###.###.### to link to something.

This is very useful, because IE looks at this file to find IP addresses for websites. The Hosts file can be edited to redirect the address of webcontent to another address.

There is a special address 127.0.0.1 which is the address of the computer in use. If you type in a line like this...

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

...every attempt IE makes to open a file from ad.doubleclick.net will be an immediate failure, and will abort its attempt to download resources from this URL because it is looking inside of the current computer.

Tell me what you think of this. There are lots of webpages that are crammed with ad addresses ready to fill into the hosts file.

Most importantly of all, tell others of the hosts file, so that they may partake these wondr'ous fruits of knowledge! :alright:

Info on the HOSTS file, and similar stuff for other OS's
Posted on 2003-03-31 19:30:58 by Paulicles the Philosopher
if you actually run a webserver, you might point it to say, 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x (where the IPs are unused) to avoid a "hit" on your server. btw, if you run your own DNS server for your network (even if it pulls DNS entries from another server and aches them), it might be helpful to add extra entries for ad-serving servers. you can easily add/remove server blocks from one computer, rather than edit each host file. :alright:

how about "i like banner ads... i get paid to have them up!"? :rolleyes:
Posted on 2003-03-31 21:24:22 by jademtech
use phoenix -->don't display images from this location :alright:
Posted on 2003-04-01 06:26:53 by Hiroshimator
check out www.theproxomitron.com or .org or .net ... not sure which.

Thanks,
Shawn
Posted on 2003-04-01 20:35:34 by _Shawn
I have known about the hosts file for a long time, my one is 35K because of all the blocked domains.

I have only two gripes about it:

- if you use IE and you modify the hosts file, you must restart IE for it to pick up the modifications
- apps with advertising in them (ie Opera, eDonkey, ICQ etc) don't appear to rely on it when they source their ads, which means you can't use it to block those ads (although i would be happy to be proved wrong on this)

jademtech:
thanks for that suggestion, as i run a webserver on my work machine (for dev purposes), and i sometimes run one at home too.

P.S. I laugh at those poor fools that go out and pay good money for an app/proxy that just blocks banner ads :grin:
Posted on 2003-04-01 21:47:55 by sluggy
The proximitron is free. It filters the packets before the web browser gets it and uses Regular Expressions as a means to do so. I've been using it for more than a year now and have yet to have a banner or popup/under slip past. In fact, when I browse from other PC's, I cringe at the constant bombarding of popups/unders. Banners aren't so bad unless they are pr0n. But since I don't see them anyway, I don't really know anymore. I just know my page hasn't flashed saying "if this is flashing you are a winner".

Thanks,
Shawn
Posted on 2003-04-02 01:48:46 by _Shawn