Could anyone recommend a freeware multi-platform GUI library (code-independent) for Windows and Linux? All I have found so far is Qt, and its not free.
Posted on 2003-04-01 21:14:50 by comrade
FLTK.
Some people don't like Xt like implementation in C++. If you are one of them, you won't like it. Free as long as you don't link statically. If you link statically, you must provide your source code, too. If you don't think that is the price you pay, it is free. I think that is much more costly than Qt, so it is not free to me.

It is a shame that there is no 'really free' tool kit. :(
Posted on 2003-04-01 21:25:57 by Starless
GTK (www.gtk.org) is also platform independent (in opposite of QT) its really free.

Another great GUI library would be wxWindows (www.wxwindows.org)
Posted on 2003-04-02 07:53:53 by bazik

It is a shame that there is no 'really free' tool kit. :(

Part of wxWindows license:

The wxWindows 2 licence is essentially the L-GPL (Library General Public Licence), with an exception stating that derived works in binary form may be distributed on the user's own terms. This is a solution that satisfies those who wish to produce GPL'ed software using wxWindows, and also those producing proprietary software.

Part of GTK license:

GTK+ is free software and part of the GNU Project. However, the licensing terms for GTK+, the GNU LGPL, allow it to be used by all developers, including those developing proprietary software, without any license fees or royalties.
Posted on 2003-04-02 07:57:56 by bazik
Another one I forgot:

XUL. Used in for example for Mozilla.

http://www.xulplanet.com/
Posted on 2003-04-03 03:38:57 by bazik
all these licenses are confusing :grin:

was there a difference between static compiling and linking to them, or does that not matter?
Posted on 2003-04-03 03:48:21 by Hiroshimator

all these licenses are confusing :grin:

was there a difference between static compiling and linking to them, or does that not matter?

For LGPL, this thread may answer the question. :)
Posted on 2003-04-03 04:19:15 by Starless