There is a lot of dust between and below the keys of the keyboard.
I cant figure out how to clean it.

Are you supposed to open up the keyboard to clean it?:confused:
Posted on 2003-04-02 09:28:07 by clippy
Here's two technics that work:

[*] Take a deep breath and blow from an 45 degree angle betwene the keys. (works sometimes)
    [*] A vacumcleaner with a nozzle with an opening smaller than the smalest key (precasionary action, in case a key decies to jump out), this works well (I've cleaned my keyboard a few times this way), but be sure to power of the computer first to avoid accedental key presses during cleaning.

As for opening the keyboard:
    Don't open it unless:
    A) you know what you're doing
    B) Don't care if some keys stop working
    C) Want a new puzzle.
Posted on 2003-04-02 09:38:48 by scientica
My method (Careful, unexpected bits and pieces will come out)

1. Turn your keyboard upside down.
2. Shake it real hard, bang it on the table if you want
3. Watch the bits and pieces fall out (It could be anything, for my case, I see bits of coffee, eyelashes, pieces of skin, dust, hair and some unidentitied particles)
4. Use some cleaning fluid (lighter fluid does the job well) and mop your keyboard
5. If you are sure that your keyboard need some soaking, slowly pluck one key by one key (Be careful, I have friends ruining their keyboard as they were not careful)

This is just my method of cleaning my keyboard. Usually I just stick to step 1-3.
Posted on 2003-04-02 10:31:50 by roticv
try the method described here: http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_tbtvatt1.php (on your own risk) ;)
Posted on 2003-04-02 10:54:50 by beaster

try the method described here: http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_tbtvatt1.php (on your own risk) ;)

I wanted to post that too when I read the subject ;)

For the question:

I got a nice Compaq Keyboard where I can unplug all keys with ease. Its just plug&play ;)
And without keys, its easy to clean all hairs, food rests, coke, ice cream, crumbs off the keyboard.

Hmm... it seems that keyboard has its own social structure with all that biology in it :grin:
Posted on 2003-04-02 11:15:51 by bazik
I remove all the keys, clean up and play to puzzle after ;)
Posted on 2003-04-02 12:53:41 by JCP

I remove all the keys, clean up and play to puzzle after ;)

Thats why I made a digi cam shot of my keyboard before cleaning it the first time :grin:
Posted on 2003-04-02 13:18:58 by bazik
If you spill coke/sprite or similar on it, use slightly warm water and rinse it (warm water dissolves the sugars quicker than cold). I have used this method several times.

One thing i have found out the hard way: NEVER use a hairdryer to dry out your keyboard after rinsing it. Even on a low heat setting, it is enough to warp the keys or the shafts they sit on (they tend to be made from quite crappy plastic). So, if you rinse your keyboard, let it dry out naturally before using it again ;)
Posted on 2003-04-02 20:07:09 by sluggy
I only clean it on a long hot summer day.

I disconnect it from the box...bring it outside..sit on a lawn chair and start sucking back beer.
When i gotta go to the bathroom i piss right on the keyboard.

After about 15 or so beer (when i'm wabbling) i hang the keyboard on the clothes line in the hot sun for all of the next day.

Good as new.

If you think I'm kidding I'm not.

Me and a friend got silly one nite and did it as a joke. Then we just left on the lawn for a couple of days in the hot sun before i threw it in the garage.

(actually i took the garden hose to it first cuz piss smell will attract mosquitoes)

About 6 months later when my other key board screwed up i decided to try it for laughs.

Works like a charm as i am typing on it right now.
Posted on 2003-04-02 20:32:11 by IwasTitan
I clean my keyboards with a garbage bag... and 15$ CDN :tongue: :tongue:

Less amonia that way...
Posted on 2003-04-02 20:32:51 by NaN
I'm with Nan here. Keyboards are disposable.
Posted on 2003-04-02 22:45:18 by Ernie
A good solvent for cleaning the keyboard is isoproply alcohol.
Posted on 2003-04-03 02:17:47 by Vortex

5. If you are sure that your keyboard need some soaking, slowly pluck one key by one key (Be careful, I have friends ruining their keyboard as they were not careful)

How do you just pluck the keys?

Do you just pull them out?
Posted on 2003-04-04 00:45:40 by clippy
How do you just pluck the keys?
You pull the feathers off them :grin:
Posted on 2003-04-04 02:46:47 by sluggy