After looking at the IDA website, I found that they ask 400$ for the basic version of their program! After reviewing the feature list, I can't say I'm that impressed...

So what is it that allows them to ask that kind of money? The support for many processors? From what I hear most ppl use it for IA32. Or are most of those using free or illegal copies?

I'm thinking about making a disassembler myself if this is the kind of money you can get :grin: My previous project is almost finished...
Posted on 2003-04-06 03:03:06 by Qweerdy
I myself remain really confused about this kind of stuff.

On the other hand companies like nullsoft (the guys who make winamp) manage to make money by giving everything free. How i dont understand. I am pretty sure those banner ads on the site dont earn enough.

As far as IDA is concerned, it seems to me that is so high priced probably because

[*]There are no other disassemblers like it in the market
    [*]Very few people actually use this kind of stuff. So whatever money they make they make it out those few users and thats why they charge so much

But then again, i might be completly wrong.
Posted on 2003-04-06 04:18:31 by clippy
AFAIK Nullsoft earns some money by selling commercial licenses of NSIS. I think I read something like that some time ago...
Posted on 2003-04-06 04:47:22 by bazik
I don't keep up with all the poltics in that area, but I belive Nullsoft is a AOL "investment"... last time I heard they were who issued the paychecks over there :grin:

As for IDA, i've never played with it, but seems like its pretty feature filled. On the other hand, I don't think any software is worth more than say $199 regardless of how whiz-bang it might be... I can't understand how companies like Adobe can issue a "upgrade" every year that costs $500+ for a product that was originally bought at $800...

----
Domain
Posted on 2003-04-10 15:35:57 by Domain
it's their product they can charge what they want
Posted on 2003-04-10 16:13:20 by Hiroshimator