Is there anyone here using this who knows if there is a limit on the number of activations ? I?ve read the FAQ but I don?t get it, as far as I understand I can use the software legally after the subscription ends but if there is a limit on activations it?s not interesting to buy this.
Posted on 2003-04-06 14:32:41 by WinCC
There is a lot of software covered by an MSDN subscription, and the amount differs by the type of subscription you have. Each piece of software has its own individual license. According to the MSDN general license, you are allowed to use the bundled software for the period of the subscription, and not after. Sure, you could continue to use it, but you do not have the right to distribute anything made with the software after the expiry of the subscription.

Of course, i would ignore those rules for the likes of the help files and DDKs etc, because the DDKs are free, and the help files are all free as well.
Posted on 2003-04-07 03:04:47 by sluggy
From

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/prodinfo/qa.asp

"When a subscription expires, do the licenses terminate or are they still valid?"

"MSDN Subscriptions has a perpetual license, so subscribers can still use the products received with their MSDN Subscription after their subscription has expired."

"What if I reinstall software frequently, do I need to activate the software each time?"

"We understand that MSDN Subscribers have unique needs, so we have included special activation privileges for MSDN Subscribers. MSDN Subscription product keys can be used to activate software on up to 10 PCs. Although you must go through the activation process each time you reinstall on the same PC, your total number of activations will not be decremented. For Windows XP, MSDN Subscribers have 60 days before the product needs to be activated. If you will be reinstalling the software in less than 60 days, you do not need to activate it. And for Office XP, MSDN Subscribers have 50 launches, before the product needs to be activated."

"If I reinstall software on the same machine, do I need to activate the software?"

"No. Software may be reinstalled on the same machine as many times as needed without reactivating it. However, if the hard disk is reformatted prior to reinstallation, reactivation may be required."
Posted on 2003-04-07 05:38:07 by WinCC
"MSDN Subscriptions has a perpetual license, so subscribers can still use the products received with their MSDN Subscription after their subscription has expired."

Excellent, that makes a subscription excellent value for money.

"We understand that MSDN Subscribers have unique needs, so we have included special activation privileges for MSDN Subscribers. MSDN Subscription product keys can be used to activate software on up to 10 PCs. Although you must go through the activation process each time you reinstall on the same PC, your total number of activations will not be decremented. For Windows XP, MSDN Subscribers have 60 days before the product needs to be activated. If you will be reinstalling the software in less than 60 days, you do not need to activate it. And for Office XP, MSDN Subscribers have 50 launches, before the product needs to be activated."
I dunno what they are talking about there, the MSDN stuff we have got at work doesn't require activation at all (although i haven't installed the latest version of Office). Pretty much all the software does require a serial though.
Posted on 2003-04-07 05:47:07 by sluggy