I was taking a look at the SunOne and VisualAge IDEs for Java from Sun and IBM respectively on a shareware cd and i must say they totally suck.

Firstly both the ides are made in java which makes them awfully slow. SunOne took over 2 mins to start on my 733 machine. And it is slow that even if pull a splitter bar you can notice the sluggishness.

Worst of all, the editor is sort of 'managed', and when i tried to do a backspace i found it wont delete the brackets of the function. So now you have to click on a menu even if you want to delete a function also :rolleyes:

I just cannot describe how much i hate it and i feel sorry for those guys who have to use SunOne.

Second VisualAge by IBM - this one tries to go one step ahead of the rest by saying that there are no more files and it keeps everything in a 'repository' , so you just add and remove classes without worrying about files.

So far so good , but listen to this -

I still havent found out that if i someday wanted to edit my java files in a different editor how will i export them to files. The ide has no mechanism for that. So you will have to copy/paste your way out.

Also worst thing ever is that it compiles your code whenever you save it. And thats the only way of compiling it. Although the java compiler is pretty fast , it takes much longer to save your work.
And what more, it wont allow you to save your work if you have any syntactical error or some other error(i forgot what was exactly written in the mannual as i have now gotten rid of it).

Imagine this, you have just written a lot of code and sudddenly you notice your laptop batteries are real low. You try to save your code but you cant because there are some syntactical errors. By the time you correct them your battery goes zero and you lose work and you feel like throwing your comp out of the window.

And there is more- the form designer lists all the menus ,open below the form , so that you dont have to click on it to see it :rolleyes: and it lists the name of event handler functions in the same window in small boxes with lines joining the event to the item. You can imagine how crowded up the form becomes with you being able to see a criss-cross of lines everywhere rather than the form itself.

It will be a sad day indeed if java wins over .net and i have to use such f*****d up ides.
Posted on 2003-04-08 08:14:16 by clippy
:grin:
Posted on 2003-04-08 08:23:07 by f0dder
Use Eclipse.
Posted on 2003-04-08 08:25:03 by bazik
What use would paperclips have of e-clips? :grin:

(sorry... bad "pun")
Posted on 2003-04-08 15:58:23 by jademtech
i like the features of eclipse, is really good, but is big this is ok for the thing that have.. is slow.. yep, but is good :D... is java orientated.. :)... in the deploy is more than sun IBM.. is too redhat, borland, here is a extract: Industry leaders Borland, IBM, MERANT, QNX Software Systems, Rational Software, Red Hat, SuSE, TogetherSoft and Webgain2 formed the initial eclipse.org Board of Stewards in November 2001.

a yep-.. like you see Sun & IBM need help :) for make a good thing.

Have nice day.
Posted on 2003-04-09 12:44:19 by rea

What use would paperclips have of e-clips? :grin:

I am an electronic paper clip:grin:
Posted on 2003-04-10 07:48:28 by clippy
It will be a sad day indeed if java wins over .net and i have to use such f*****d up ides.
Java is the spawn of the devil. And i cannot see Java winning over .Net, Java has already been out for 4? 5? 6? years, and i really think it has reached its peak. If it was so damn good, then .Net would never have been launched and MS would have found a way to 0wn Java. Sure, java does have its uses, i am quite happy having it run my refrigerator or toaster :)
Posted on 2003-04-23 07:29:32 by sluggy
GNU has a native code compiler for java but the compiler olny runs on unix likeOSs but it can cross compile for windows I haven't seen a windows native code compiler for java so java can be almost as fast as C with this compiler java is better than it was when it came out
Posted on 2003-04-24 19:09:54 by rob.rice