Anyone here know the commands for setting BIOS stuff?

Thanks,
AJAKE
Posted on 2003-04-08 20:02:46 by AJAKE98
What kind of commands man?

Like setting /reading the "realtime" clock?

http://www.nondot.org/sabre/os/files/MiscHW/RealtimeClockFAQ.txt
Posted on 2003-04-09 11:11:18 by BogdanOntanu
Actually, I mean more around the boot settings more. Sorry for not putting in the details before.
Posted on 2003-04-09 11:17:57 by AJAKE98
"boot settings" ? now you have lost me ...

Like in "boot from floppy - boot from HDD - boot from CD-ROM" ?

I guess this is BIOS specific data depending from BIOS to BIOS and Mother board to mother board... unlikely to mess with that...

And for what reason? the whole ideea of a BIOS is exactly to separate specific motherboard stuff from general OS stuff. After all the producer of the motherboard knows its hardware better and knows what to do about it
Posted on 2003-04-09 11:21:30 by BogdanOntanu
Sorry if I'm confusing you. I wanted to learn about how to set which device to boot from first. I know the commands change from motherboard to motherboard, but I want to experiment with it. I want it to command the BIOS to "Boot from device x, then boot from device y, etc.".

Thanks
Posted on 2003-04-09 11:25:45 by AJAKE98
It is probably keept in memory area inside RTC, but unless you get inside info from motherboard creators

you will have to mess / test every addres and beyond... this will trash your motherboard and you will have to take the batery out or use mother board jumpe rthat resets the CMOS data to default .... and this every time you make a mistake...

:)

let me know IF you find something...although it will not work for MY motherboard :(

I stii can not understand the use of this... but i guess it is fun/research
Posted on 2003-04-09 11:40:10 by BogdanOntanu
That's pretty much it. I'm new at ASM, and I want to screw around with the different stuff you can do. Thanks for the help.
Posted on 2003-04-09 19:10:56 by AJAKE98
Might i kindly say that you have choosed the wrong thing to start with ... ?

First: you will not learn ASM this way, surely not modern Win32ASM :P

Second: the info that you might so find is so very motherboard specific, a single page of the producer inner documentation will be enough to clear anybody (asm programer or Java one) about it...in 2 minutes. While it might take you a LOT longer to find it.

Third: You might loose a lot of time with reboots because of CMOS corruption...
Posted on 2003-04-10 00:57:42 by BogdanOntanu
yeah, better spend your time on something useful :)
There's the linuxbios project going on which could be interesting to dig into, but again remember that most things at that level are pretty darn motherboard dependant.
Posted on 2003-04-10 02:47:04 by f0dder
lol, I'm just screwing around. I knew it would be complicated.
Posted on 2003-04-10 07:26:30 by AJAKE98
Just a stupid idea :) How about reading the whole CMOS memory with all the bios settings to a file and then changin that boot order thingy from real bios and reading that to file again. Then just simply compare those two files. You can do many of those snapshots to better figure out what is changed by boot order and what is changed by something else.
Posted on 2003-04-11 14:08:52 by SamiP
that's an idea, and how I'd do it, I guess. Easier than REing the bios image :).
Do remember to set the CMOS checksum if you mess with it.
Posted on 2003-04-14 01:56:21 by f0dder