I found many tutorials of MASM or Informations related to that but haven't found a complete tutorial of TASM
So who would like to give some suggestion ?

A newcomer of ASM .<Forgive My English...... : )>
Posted on 2003-04-13 02:23:25 by backham121
backham,

The problem is that TASM has been effectively left behind and while there are probably a number of programmers in the forum who are experienced in TASM coding, specific tutorial material would be hard to get now and would be out ofr date.

Unless you have good reason to use TASM with something like making modules for Borland C/C++, I would recommend that you use MASM as it is far better supported and is a more up to date assembler.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-13 08:14:33 by hutch--
I'm just a beginner myself for now, so please have this in mind when reading the following.

I haven't found any "complete" online tutorials of TASM. Unless you want to use TASM's Ideal Mode, most 16-bit MASM source will build under TASM 5.0. I found great site containing many basic 16-bit "TASM" tutorials here. I've run accross very few websites that have limited information on 32-bit Windows assembly using TASM, but nothing complete.

The TASM "bible" is of course "Mastering Turbo Assembler" by Tom Swan. But it only covers DOS/Windows 3.x TASM assembly. (Right now, Mastering Turbo Assembler - FIRST EDITION is being auctioned on eBay here. But as I only have the second edition, I'm not sure how much is covered in the first edition.) Then there are the TASM books that come with TASM. I've only seen the TASM 3.0 books (User's Guide, etc.) on eBay.

I'm sure most people here will tell you to use MASM or FASM instead, but there are a few TASM users here that could help you further.
Posted on 2003-04-13 08:36:33 by Masmer
search google for "Dolphinz"
Posted on 2003-04-13 09:39:01 by Hiroshimator
You can ask me any questions you might have, i still use TASM for HE, SOLAR OS and other projects.

Basicaly its just a faster but also older MASM :)

Has its own quirks and problems and unless you really know what you are doing you should indeed folow the advices here and use MASM or FASM ..... IMHO

Some things:
-------------------------------------------------------
It generates OMF and not COFF object files
You must use LOCALS directive to get @@ relative to procedure symbols
You CAN NOT use two structure members with same name (sometimes crashes if you do) . However this alows you to directly use esi.my_member_structure without any other assumes
Should always use [] arround memory references
Use offset everywhere (instead of ADDR)
Use "CALL APIFunstionsHere, param01,param02" instead of "invoke ...."
Can not use new instructions like SIMD,MMX,3DNOW without defining them as macros
Sometimes crashes with include filenames that generate hash table colisions like " include_file_include_file_inc"
Has poor suport for long filenames
Assembles 10x faster than MASM (can see that only on huge projects like HE :) )
Posted on 2003-04-13 17:00:49 by BogdanOntanu

Can not use new instructions like SIMD,MMX,3DNOW without defining them as macros
[...]
Assembles 10x faster than MASM (can see that only on huge projects like HE :) )

I think its obvious why its that fast :grin:
Posted on 2003-04-13 17:26:04 by bazik
It is fast because it uses some form of advanced HASH tables ...part of its problems also
It usually makes less passes than MASM for same code

I doubt that the new instructions whould slow him down noticeably ... even with them handled as MACROs it is still that fast

And obviousely macros are slower than internal instructions
Posted on 2003-04-13 18:44:31 by BogdanOntanu
thanks to all the helpers ,Maybe I should consider using MASM . but I think that knowing how to code in different environments is still useful to coders.
thanks again ,wish u joy......:)
Posted on 2003-04-20 04:38:15 by backham121
Or you could try GoAsm
Posted on 2003-04-20 16:25:01 by jorgon
FASM is even better idea :)
Posted on 2003-04-20 16:49:09 by comrade
backham,

Probably starting with MASM is the way to go as you will learn more faster but once you feel comfortable with instructions and designing your own architecture, it may be worth you looking at both FASM and Jeremy's new assembler as it will widen your experience.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-20 23:36:05 by hutch--
the tasm 5.2 fully supports this instructions

if any whant it just give your mail.
Posted on 2003-04-25 05:23:41 by Thor0Asgard
backham121,

You can check this link about TASM.

http://www.elitecoding.net/~lucifer48/tut/tasm-lu48.html
Posted on 2003-04-25 10:15:05 by Vortex