When I first found this site a couple of years ago I thought it was just a crackpot site. A few months later I ran into it again and started reading what he wrote. As it turns out, he's right! I haven't read everything but what little I have jogs my memory of years gone by. Thought you guys might like it:

Misconceptions
Posted on 2003-04-17 15:54:09 by drhowarddrfine
Gee... he seems like a crackpot to me. Too many "I'm right and the whole world is wrong" arguments for my taste.

And after reading most of his page, I still can't figure out what HE means by the word "electricity."
Posted on 2003-04-17 17:14:45 by Ernie
I think it's the look of his page and maybe the way he words things because I thought that same thing. I just kinda glossed over it and blew him off. But if you read it seriously you realize he's right and he's burrowing right down to the physics of things.
Posted on 2003-04-17 17:26:00 by drhowarddrfine
Nice site.

He's right btw. There wasn't anything inaccurate on the site as far as I could see. In fact, he's got a clearer vision of electrical theory than most people.

I think the point he misses is that most theory books are written for beginners to intermediate students and technicians. So, those books are going to explain things in a more simple way.
Posted on 2003-04-17 18:01:19 by Kdr Kane
There is a not-so-fine division between being right and being excessivly pedantic. Example: his rant on the speed of light. Joe Sixpack may not understand this fine point, but anyone with any physics training does.

Not everyone needs to understand physics to the last decimal place.
Posted on 2003-04-17 20:48:23 by Ernie
On the other hand, in his side notes, he notes that unlearning bad knowledge can be difficult. The desire is to provide models more consistent with what is taught in higher education. That way, those who desire to learn the advanced stuff have less to unlearn.

Some computer professors were appalled by some of the practices acquired by Basic programmers.

Even here, in the ASM forums, we need to disabuse newcomers of the existence of certain features that existed in the HLLs they previously worked with.

=====

As for what he means by "electricity" --

A physics professor asks his class, "Does anyone know what electricity is?" One student raises his hand. The professor asks with an air of authority, "What is it?" The student is cowed and replies, "I don't know." The professor laments, "Alas. The only person in the world who knew, and now he's forgotten it."
Posted on 2003-04-18 18:11:17 by tenkey
OK, after several reading and several cross-references, I finally get his point: Electricity does not exist. AND he's 100% correct when he says that.

Pretty cool stuff after all.
Posted on 2003-04-18 22:22:17 by Ernie
hi ernie!

is that a sarcasm?:)

hmm. i have to read this...
Posted on 2003-04-19 14:57:00 by flotsam
Well, at home I can't see it, so why should I pay for it?
Posted on 2003-04-19 15:22:19 by drhowarddrfine
Well you do not pay for electricity :P

you pay for Energy...and that is a totaly different thing :))
Posted on 2003-04-19 16:34:00 by BogdanOntanu
He really does sound like a crazy person....

'Course one of my profs (who taught us Electromagnetics, which lots of us flunked) sounds like a crazy person too. Hello Sir Tan! I can just imagine him saying 'Are you stupid? Who made you think Electricity is real? Electricity is not real!'
Posted on 2003-04-20 21:15:05 by AmkG
Prof Tan really thinks electricity doesn't exist??:eek:

man, i miss e-mags...my favorite subject :grin:
Posted on 2003-04-21 01:48:24 by flotsam
As I understand him, 'electricity' is a catch all phrase with no corrosponding phenomina in reality. 'Current,' 'voltage,' 'charge', ect, all describe real physical entities.

'Electricity' doesn't have a physical meaning. It's more of a Lewis Carol 'when I use a word, it means exactly what I want it to mean. No more, no less.'

"Why does a light bulb light up?" "ELECRTRICITY!" you say... so point to the electricity. If you give as complete a physical description of how it lights (the electric feild causes a flow of electrons which transfers the energy to the filiment which heats the filiment which begins to incandess)... guess what? No electricity there, but you did use lots of other terms we assosciate with the word 'electricity.'

Does electricity mean voltage? Charge? Current? Power?

If it means all of these things, it doesn't mean anything. It's a catch phrase for all sorts of phenomina.

100% serious, electricity doiesn't exist.

I wonder if I'll have to stop using that word.
Posted on 2003-04-21 06:50:16 by Ernie
hi ernie!

i get the point now. i guess the word "electricity" is used "for the lack of a better term".:alright:
Posted on 2003-04-21 12:54:08 by flotsam
well OK

BUT did anyone check out some of the links on that page
there is some cool stuff there

bwt I coulden't find any thing worng in what he is saying
Posted on 2003-05-10 18:52:11 by rob.rice