While paddling away this afternoon my old PIII box went SPLAT and the switch arced and it dropped dead. It was not running at the time but it was plugged in at the power point. I have taken the opportunity to actually pull it apart and clean it as it has never been worked on in 3 years and it was dirty inside.

Pulled it all down with no problems and took the processor out of its slot (600 PIII) but I could not work out how to remove the clip on fan to clean the heat sink under it which is full of dust.

Does anyone have any idea of how this is done as I don't want to wreck it trying things out.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-19 10:04:50 by hutch--
Ya. I've seen a large assortment of types. You really have to pull your McGuyver intuition and try your best ;)

However, be advised that not all fans are removable!. I've seen some with heat sinks glued pernamently to the chip (usually on older CPUs ~ I've seen Compaq do this). In this case, usually the Fan itself can be removed by screws.

If you think your being excessivey hard on it, stop fighting it, and get a vacuum. Ensure its safely grounded (as is your chip) to prevent static discharge, and vacuum the sides with the help of a Q-tip prodding out the dust and dirt.

It doesnt need to sparkle when your done. just remove the "clumped" dirt. A little dust left over is harmless.

:NaN:
Posted on 2003-04-19 10:56:45 by NaN
I am starting to know a little bit more, the type is a slot 1 PIII at 600 meg. Hologram and all. I have yet to find HTF it holds the fan on though.

It slides a little either way but 4 plastic pins are location it from the other side that don't seem to screw in or out.

Problem is I can see throught the gaps in the fan blades that is encrusted with dust and needs to be cleaned out properly.

If all else fails, I will take it back to the people who built the box asthey should know how it works.

Regards,

hutch@movsds.com
Posted on 2003-04-19 11:46:37 by hutch--
Hutch,
You could try compressed air to blow out all the crud.
This is how I clean them at work all the time. If you
don't have access to an air compressor, you should
be able to find an aerosol can of compressed air at
your local computer store.
Posted on 2003-04-19 21:16:05 by anon
Don't laugh, I actually worked it out, the fan housing was held in by the extrusion which had a fine lip on it so what I did was to squeeze it at both ends to compress it slightly and it came off fine.

The heat sink was full of dust the had baked hard so I carefully scraped it out of the fins with a screwdriver and it looks like a new one again.

Its just that if I wreck it, there is almost no chance of getting another one so it was worth being neurotically careful with it.

Regards and thanks for the advice.

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-19 21:46:11 by hutch--
You have to try to wrech a piece of aluminum. There is really nothing special to these things.. Just keep the contact area unscaved so the maximum amount of heat can be transfered into the metal.

:NaN:
Posted on 2003-04-19 22:27:58 by NaN
Hi Hutch
now that you removed the heat sink I had a little advice, when you put it back don't forget to put silicon grease between the sink and the CPU, it helps transfer the heat from the CPU to the Heath sink. You could get it from a electronic store, put a generous amount, you 'l keep your chip runing cool

luck

carlos
Posted on 2003-04-19 23:38:02 by Carlos
The heat sink was very well attached so there was no need to mess around with it, last time I checked when the box was still running, the intel monitor said it ran at about 41 - 42 degrees so cleaning it out should only help.

I just hope the board is not damaged when the power supply went poof as its been an excellent board with Adaptec scsi on board that had a very good data transfer rate for its time. I do have a non bootable PCI scsi card that will run the untra 2 spec stuff like the CD writer but I would prefer to be able to keep running this board if I could as it was all compatible stuff from its period of about 3 years ago.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-19 23:47:35 by hutch--
how dare you call that an old computer it's just now getting broken in!!
Posted on 2003-04-25 21:09:49 by rob.rice