I run 4 other computers throughout my house throug the telephone line. Been doing it for years and it works well. One thing we've just started noticing is when we remove one of the computers from the network then 'net access will either speed up or slow down. I was told when I go to the country with my computer, the rest of the family speeds up. But when my one son left, I had a heck of a time including being unable to access this board all day today!

Any clues?
Posted on 2003-04-24 18:19:11 by drhowarddrfine
might be your routing tables. How is your network set up?

depending on traffic might also be ethernet erhm 'conflicts' the more traffic the more conflicts arise.
Posted on 2003-04-24 18:50:02 by Hiroshimator
Like I said, one computer removed speeds things up, another removed slows things down. What we have is a 2wire Home Portal router that directs traffic to all 4 of us through the 2wire home network interfaces on each computer. Each one gets its own assigned local ip address as in most home networks.
Posted on 2003-04-24 19:14:41 by drhowarddrfine
did you assign a gateway on your computers?
Posted on 2003-04-24 19:46:03 by Hiroshimator
Doc,

What I use here is a 10/100 mbit hub that has 4 computers plugged into it and it uses the standard blue coaxial cable between each of them.

The longest run I have here is only about 15 metres (50 feet) so there are no cable length problems but it is on a simple logic where the hub is the centre and all of the connections branch off it. Basically a spider layout.

I wonder if you have some loop happening in the cable layout or connection system ?

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-24 20:00:18 by hutch--
Doc, I don't know if this is related, but I couldn't access board.win32asmcommunity.net for
most of today either, I'm using AOL with no network...?
Posted on 2003-04-24 20:04:53 by Brad
can you traceroute? if so see where he hops too on your local net. Normally for any outgoing it should hop immediately to your gateway, else you have a problem with your network configuration probably.
Posted on 2003-04-24 20:48:54 by Hiroshimator
I hadn't thought of tracerouting. But he's back now and everything is running smoothly. I do know that before he left tracert was very good.

brad, I'm not on aol but the problems I was having with other sites made me think it was just me. I have SBCGlobal dsl.

hutch, you know, now that I think of it, I do know that my house is not cabled properly. That is, nowadays phone lines are wired directly from the junction box with one wire to each phone and not daisy chained. The local phone company, SBC, says I should be getting 1.4Mbits/s but I can't go over 768kb/s because my error rate goes through the roof. If I disconnect every phone line from the junction box but leave dsl connected through a wire thrown out the window down to the box, I can boost it up to 1.4M with no errors.

They think the wiring is causing a "standing wave" problem due to reflections. Maybe this makes sense with one box being removed and throwing off the impedances, etc. Hmm.
Posted on 2003-04-24 21:10:19 by drhowarddrfine
Doc,

I just had another piece of genius, I wonder when computers are either added or removed if it changes the voltage on the line so that it goes out of the range of high and low with the signal ?

I have seen unusual effects like this from time to time based on load. The voltage should be reasonably low so it would be no big deal to measure it to see what is happening.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-24 21:38:29 by hutch--