My old PIII spat the power supply recently so after pulling it all down it was full of so much crap from 3 years of use that I had to take everything apart just to clean it out. Got a power supply for a pentium that did not fit the case so I have to redrill the holes for the screws and then enlarge the exit hole for the fan as the new one is a lot bigger.

So far I have the basic board and one HDD up and gpoing but went to add the 50 speed IDE CD and it recognised it but the drive would not open. I had to pull it apart to get the CD out and now I have to rat a spare 52 speed CD from my internet box so I have a basic CD in it.

I still have the joys of putting back the CD writer once I can work out how the third SCSI interface works and how the termination is done. I am still exploring this box as I did not build it in the first place.

It will run as it is but I am waiting for a replacement SCSI for the second one I had in it that developed an intermittent fault a year and a half ago and got worse over time. Just hope the quantum dealer out here can find something as I don't feel like funding another scsi just at the moment.

I need to have this box going as it is the only one I on that will run win95b, my other two work boxes have to run win98 or later which is a pain for compatibility testing.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-25 05:18:41 by hutch--

Got a power supply for a pentium that did not fit the case so I have to redrill the holes for the screws and then enlarge the exit hole for the fan as the new one is a lot bigger.

New PSU, or older PSU? If it's for an earlier model, be sure that it delivers enough Watt and has stable voltage output!

Sounds like fun :) - as for compatibility testing, set up windows 2000 on a grunty machine, and run vmware. Presto, you can test 95 original, 95b, 95c, 98 original, 98SE, NT4, and even the horrible Windows Me.
Posted on 2003-04-25 05:40:02 by f0dder
Power supply was actually ATX format and had to have the correct plug for the board. The problem was it was not designed for this case and as the case is a particularly good one, I cut out the fan hole with a pair of tinsnips and redrilled the holes to mount it in the same place.

I have all of the correct drivers for the board for win95b and I have win98se and win2k on other boxes so there is no point in going after drivers that will be very rare when the board was made in the era of win98se and not the later stuff.

I have a scanner SCSI card in it that would require different drivers and software, SCSI drivers that would not be available in later versions and a whole pile of other bits that would be a pain to set up as something else.

the other thing is win95b was always very reliable on it and it was fast as well so there is little point emulating something else.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-25 06:00:17 by hutch--
About PSU... which model/age machine is it from, and how fast is the pentium3? Just be a bit careful, I've seen bad results from some powersupplies - hope it works for you.

the other thing is win95b was always very reliable on it and it was fast as well so there is little point emulating something else.

Nice for you, too bad 9x never really did live up to my requirements :)
The point about win2000+vmware would be that you could do compatibility testing for a lot of operating systems from a single box - with vmware version 4 state snapshots (haven't tried them yet) this should make compatibility testing a lot easier than booting a lot of different machines.

Of course there's still the issue about testing software on different CPUs, but at least you can nail down all windows versions from a single box.

But I'm drifting away from the original topic.
Posted on 2003-04-25 06:05:46 by f0dder
hutch,
you know it ain't a real computer until you have some No8 wire in it somewhere. Maybe you should have used it to hold the PSU on instead of redrilling the mounting holes?
Posted on 2003-04-25 06:15:07 by sluggy
Sluggy,

Nah, I will do it the hard way, I don't have those special kiwi skills to use fence wire for the job. :tongue:

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-25 11:17:07 by hutch--
Fits to the topic: http://c64upgra.de/c-one/
Posted on 2003-04-25 12:16:23 by bazik
I have everything up and working on the old box at the moment, I still have to wait for the other SCSI to turn up but it runs fine on the first drive. I had a 50 speed CD that was electrically sound refuse to open so I replace it with a spare 52 speed I had and when I put the CD writer back in it opened first time then refused to work so I have to remove it, open it up and after playing with it for a while actually worked out how it worked so once I freed it up it worked correctly and writes CDs correctly.

After using win98se and win2k for a while where you get used to how slow they are, this thing still runs like a rocket in comparison, closes down quickly with no errors and everything is fast to use. The PIV is faster in algorithm benchmarking but this thing is just better hardware and its fast in everything it does.

The other thing that makes me laugh is that it is a lot more robust with win95b in it than win98se, more hardware tolerant and a lot less likely to fail.

I guess that's progress. :tongue:

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-26 04:11:00 by hutch--
hehe hutch =)
it isn't much of a joy to fix a p1-233mmx =)
the fun part begins when u boot ur computer ans u see black on screen, when a while ago win95 was booting (after reset) =)
and the lack of knowing what causes it really help :o
Posted on 2003-04-28 07:30:49 by wizzra
wizzra,

funny enough i own a couple of antiques that are in real good nick. I built out of scrap a 133 pentium that I have DOS 6.22 on and windows for workgroups. Its a real screamer along side my old 486 that dies about 8 years ago and I have 2x1 gig disks in it as well so it big by old DOS standard.

I scored a 233 MMX pentium and a viable board and set it up with all of my leftover junk, a 6 gig disk and 96 meg of 72 pin memory and I have NT4 running on it compete with a network card so if I ever need to play with something that old, I just need to plug it in and off it goes.

The old stuff was a lot less fussy to use and was a lot less problematic setting it up. Like anyone who has been at programming for years, I have a mountain of old stuff and it was god to be able to put it all back together and get it to work.

I just don't have enough of the old stuff to get a 486 working, a < 500 meg HDD is very hard to get these days.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-28 07:41:38 by hutch--
my problem also. I'm trying to locate a small hd (say 2 - 4 G) but they're about impossible to get (cheap) :(
Posted on 2003-04-28 07:58:04 by Hiroshimator
Hiro,

There is a trick to it if you know a good computer store or shop that has been building or selling computers for any length of time. They often have a pile of old stuff that goes for peanuts and while you run the risk of some of it being a bit crappy, you often get some reasonable stuff very cheap as its not much use on modern computers

If you can hook a 10 gig disk cheap enough that can be used on an old board that may only handle smaller sizes, you lose some disk spece but it will still work OK. They are usually the same size so they fit OK.

I did not have any sare disks for the old DOS box I built but I hooked a few junky ones from the people who build my current machines and paddled through them to find a couple of good ones that went into the DOS box.

I had a 6 gig one left over from an older machine so it went into the 233 MMX fine and is about the right size for a default installation of NT4.

See if you can find a shop that has a pile of older stuff anfd you may do OK, its not like its worth much in real world terms.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com

PS: If you ever hear of a Western Digital ESDI controller card type 1007a, tell me, I have an ESDI HDD I would like the recover some very old stuff off but I cannot find a controller card that old.
Posted on 2003-04-28 09:41:35 by hutch--

my problem also. I'm trying to locate a small hd (say 2 - 4 G) but they're about impossible to get (cheap) :(

Did you try thrift shops I found a 2gig HDD for $5.00
it was as is with no lable I also found maxmus computer for $10.00
p166 with a 2gig HDD 32 meg ram CDROM modem and sound card
that works and a 15inch SVGA CRT for $15.00 $2.00 keyboard $2.00 mouse
so I'm sitting at a $34.00 dollar computer running broadband

I swaped the 2Gig Hdd for a D-Link eathernet card at a computer repair shop

and thay had a ton of apple Macs
Posted on 2003-04-28 19:23:43 by rob.rice
my problem also. I'm trying to locate a small hd (say 2 - 4 G) but they're about impossible to get (cheap)
Dude, have i got the deal for you.... I can supply you a drive of that size, for the low low price of NZ$100 (about 50 Euro) including postage. We have a "buy sell and swap" style newspaper here for selling second hand goods through, and drives of that size go for about NZ$20 - NZ$50. Of course you would negotiate that price down before buying, and that would mean more profit for me should you accept my most excellent and generous deal ;)
Posted on 2003-04-29 01:39:46 by sluggy
here I can get them for about 40 euro used :/

and I find that to be just to much given the age of these things. It's also just a present for my sister :tongue:
Posted on 2003-04-29 04:47:42 by Hiroshimator
Hiro,

Ypou are right, that sounds too much to me if my conversion from Euros to USD to AUD is correct. I just wonder if there is any places that either have a pile of older computers or if some Government agency chucks them out occasionally or some other lurk that could get you one for peanuts.

The other thing is if there are enough people around your area, often you see a computer chucked out when someone buys a new one and you can often get some useful parts that way. A guy down the road gave me his last one and while a lot of it was stuffed, I got a 52 speed CD that was fine and a spare 17 inch monitor out of it. I did not really need and extra 133 pentium chip and fan but it was OK as well.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-29 10:12:37 by hutch--