After installing this you can right-click on any folder at any time and a command prompt will pop up with the selected directory as start-directory.

Create a new sub key called 'CommandPrompt' as in
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\CommandPrompt]. Change the value of
'(default)' within the key to equal the text you would like on the
right-click menu, for example 'Command Prompt Here'.Create another new
sub-key under the key created above, name this subkey 'command' as in:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\CommandPrompt\command]. Change the value
of '(default)' within this key to
cmd.exe /k cd "%1"

(That would be "command" instead of "cmd" when not using WinXP/2K/NT)

I've attached an exported registry-file that will work under WinXP and Win2000.
Posted on 2003-04-27 15:50:28 by Delight
It's a nice trick, I've been using it for years. You'll want to specify the /D flag too:

Use the /D switch to change current drive in addition to changing current
directory for a drive.

Furthermore, switches for 9x (yuck!) command.com will be different.
Posted on 2003-04-27 15:52:27 by f0dder
I always use the shell to navigate through the directories :confused:

Uh, wait... wrong other OS here :grin:
Posted on 2003-04-27 16:54:12 by bazik
I tried it out.. but it doesnt work on 98SE. (Changed the CMD to COMMAND obviously, and there is not /d equivalent in win98).

I tried a few arrangements for the command line statement, but they all come back with the same error message: Can not find the directory "D:\whereever\tested" .. blah blah blah

me shrugs
:NaN:
Posted on 2003-04-27 21:39:49 by NaN
I guess I should dig out my old 9x version when I get home, it should be floating around somewhere on my E partition.
Posted on 2003-04-28 01:42:14 by f0dder
I always use the shell to navigate through the directories
That is because you use an inferior OS, no pretty pictures for you!! :grin:
Posted on 2003-04-28 06:45:18 by sluggy
windows 98 should jump to the last selected window. I always select the openwindow of where I want to go and then invoke command
Posted on 2003-04-28 07:14:14 by Hiroshimator

I guess I should dig out my old 9x version when I get home, it should be floating around somewhere on my E partition.

You home yet ? :grin:
Posted on 2003-04-29 20:46:44 by NaN
In Windows 9x and XP you can use powertoys CommandPromptHere to do the same thing, I think that the only OS that doesn't have that powertoy is Win2K. I know I missed it when I made the switch. I liked powertoys, they provided alot of useful functions that should have been included in the main packages. TweakUI is about the most useful of them all, does everything for ya :)
Posted on 2003-04-29 21:10:42 by donkey
Is there any way to do it right from the directory you're browsing? For example, let's say I open up c:\foo in explorer and I want to get a command prompt for c:\foo but I don't want to have to go up a level just so I can click on 'foo'. Any way to make it so I could click on a blank area or something and have a command prompt open?
Posted on 2003-04-29 21:37:44 by iblis
CommandPromptHere, TweakUI and other power toys actually works with win2k. ;)
Any way to make it so I could click on a blank area or something and have a command prompt open?
umm you mean like a right click menu on a "blank area" on the explorer in the current selected directory?

I use to know a registry key that will add an item on the right click context menu, I forgot.... and I lost the code during an HD crash months ago. You could do a similar thing but with an included command prompt here behavior...
Posted on 2003-04-30 00:31:52 by arkane
TweakUI and the others all work with Win2K, CommandPromptHere is not supposed to be used, at least I remember reading that at the Microsoft site. That would also explain the massive amount of similar utilities for Win2K. Could be wrong though, I may have misread it and it was so long ago that I really don't feel like finding it. I use DosAtDir, works fine for me.
Posted on 2003-04-30 01:04:45 by donkey
it wasn't recommended but I'm willing take the risk but so far for about 2 years now. No problems. :cool: You're right it's not for win2k but what the heck... :grin:
Posted on 2003-04-30 01:10:15 by arkane
iirc, win9x has both "folder" and "directory" entries - you might need to change both. NaN, sorry, I of course forgot all about the registry file when I got home :)

Iblis, you can right-click the little icon in the top left of your explorer windows, and get the usual folder context menu; saves you from going a step back.
Posted on 2003-04-30 02:16:35 by f0dder
Wow, thanks f0dder.

I had no idea. I guess I just figured Explorer windows were just like other windows, and clicking on the icon would bring up the system menu.
Posted on 2003-04-30 10:49:59 by iblis
Humm, didn't have a 9x file floating around after all. Probably used "command prompt here" powertoy or summat (or perhaps 4DOS set up stuff - nobody should use command.com on 9x when there's 4DOS!)
Posted on 2003-04-30 11:22:08 by f0dder