Good,

Now that this thread has turned into the bloodbath that it should, lets have some fun with it. Like it or lump it this forum is a windows 32 bit assembler forum, not a Delphi forum, C/C++ forum, a VB forum or any other HLL. Right from the start it was dedicated to that small but increasing number of people who code in assembler, with or without the approval of their self elected peers.

Now in fact other HLLs do have a place in here but it not a place to get in the road of what the forum is which is an assembler forum. There are normal legitimate interests of using assembler in HLLs and the part of HLLs """"IS"""" about using assembler.

Anyone who wished to try and inflict pascal or C or C++ or any other high level language at the expense of this forum's primary purpose are at the wrong place and should be peddling their wares and views in a forum best suited for their choice of language.

When you get assembler programmers who actually posts original and highly optimised code for other assembler programmers to use, you have something that in terms of internet access is very unusual and it deserves a safe place on the internet that is free of the crap coming in from other language bases.

If people want to wax lyrical about the virtues of whatever compiler they have let them do it in some other place and make a nuisance of themselves there. Try spamming a C++ forum with the virtues of Delphi and you will get arseh*led out of there REAL fast, likewise try pelting this C++ crap at a Delphi forum and you will be free to find another that better suits your interest REAL fast as well.

This forum has had the room for HLL discussion because many programmers here write in a number of different languages and they often use assembler to target things in the HLL they use. This is fine and is part of the flexibility of this forum but its not an invitation for the abuse that is occurring when someone wants to inflict the virtues of their compiler over assembler programming in a forum that is almost unique on the internet.

The simple suggestion is to any who want to do this is to go somewhere else to peddle this crap and spare the members of this forum the trolling that is going on.

If you really must enter into these pissing competitions, do it in the Crusades forum and spare us the nonsense in the others.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-30 03:15:38 by hutch--

...and for your info: when I code my cock is not so big
Mine is. Give me your email address and i'll send you a photo :o

lingo,
you obviously do not code for real. In the real world, a lot of programming is done in teams. Quite honestly, because of your attitude towards other coders and their styles, you would last 5 minutes as part of a team then they would fire your sorry ass. I know this doesn't really matter to you because you only code as a hobby, but do yourself one favour: think twice before hitting that 'submit' button, sometimes there is just no point winding things up further.

f0dder,
should you ever get tired of coding, i think you have the attributes to make a good accountant :grin:

hutch,
you have been a bad boy, stop it :)
Posted on 2003-04-30 03:43:04 by sluggy
I think C/C++, though clearly off-topic, is still somewhat relevant to this forum.

The reason being that the "win32" part of "win32asm" forces the topic into a more specialized category, that of Windows programming.

The place where C gets involved is all the readily available Windows documentation and examples written for C programmers. I personally cannot imagine surviving without the Windows SDK docs, but unfortunately for the diehard ASM-only programmer, they are at a loss because those docs and examples are all mostly in C/C++.

Of course, with few exceptions, one only needs a very fundamental understanding of C to translate the docs to ASM. For this reason alone I do not think C/C++ should be completely shunned here, but it should be discouraged in places where it is not needed, and it rarely is needed.
Posted on 2003-04-30 11:07:10 by iblis
Readiosys,
"Contribute here like f0dder and Maverick did, it will be a good start..."

What you mean?

As mentioned above I'm not a jobless, hence I haven't so much free time
to have a finger in every pie as f0dder (without ANY code of course)
or to be troll "star" in "Worldly affairs" as MadMaver

Would you be so kind to show me their optimized assembly code
to learn "how to contribute" as the big masters?

Regards,
Lingo
Posted on 2003-04-30 15:55:55 by lingo12

I haven't so much free time to have a finger in every pie as f0dder (without ANY code of course) or to be troll "star" in "Worldly affairs" as MadMaver

Would you be so kind to show me their optimized assembly code to learn "how to contribute" as the big masters?
It would be totally pointless: you wouldn't really understand the code anyway.
Posted on 2003-04-30 16:04:51 by Maverick
Seriously guys, Win32ASM community mean Win32ASM community, I can see some place for C/C++ because there are alot of people who use ASM through the in-line asm functions of that HLL. But last I heard scripting engines (no ASP is not a programming language it is a script like HTM-hell) did not have in-line assembly capacity so they have no place here. Just as long as they are kept in the Heap any language that supports assembly should be allowed. The main forums should be kept for the purists (or HLL challenged like me). If we start to allow C++ in the main forums, they will become polluted and end up no more than one of the 100,000,000 C++ boards that are out there.

BTW, he's Maverick, not MadMaver and I like the guy so stop with the childish insults, they degrade the board. You too Maverick, the idiot remark was uncalled for and a personal attack. I really hope there's no first timers reading this thread, it puts on the worst face.
Posted on 2003-04-30 16:45:51 by donkey
when I'm looking for a fight on this fourm I goto Holy Wars
I think thats where this thread should be moved to
Posted on 2003-04-30 19:44:20 by rob.rice
Maverick & Lingo,

I am going to ask a favour out of both you guys as I know both of you and I have a lot of respect for your coding abilities.

We do need good assembler programmers in here who are not afraid to publish some classy code when they have time and I think you are both too much of an asset to waste arguing with each other.

Can we leave this as a joust of some humour and not a slanging match ? With the wheels rapidly falling off this forum, we do need to keep some talent going in here while it lasts so how about it huh ?

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-04-30 20:43:12 by hutch--
Hutch,
This time I agree with you because
I prefer to write something in assembly
rather than in Italian...

Regards,
Lingo
Posted on 2003-04-30 21:43:02 by lingo12
Donkey, just for the record it was lingo and hutch who brought c and asp into this thread...
Posted on 2003-05-01 02:10:32 by f0dder
Hi f0dder,

I'm not making any particular accusations (except the name calling garbage), just making some general observations and expressing my feelings on the subject of HLLs in the board. For me they just muddy the issues because some people will show C++ code to ostensibly explain things easier when for me it just makes it all that much more complicated. One day maybe I'll learn an HLL but for now if the example isn't in ASM I have problems understanding it.

My situation is unique, I understand that. I was looking for an easy language and tried C++ and a few others then one day I looked at power basic, that lead me to Hutch's site and the rest is history. I'm glad it worked out the way it did though.
Posted on 2003-05-01 02:44:53 by donkey
No language is easy at first sight - and nobody says you have to use a HLL.

I think it's annoying lingo hopped in and started bullshitting, I think it's sad maverick ate the bait, and I think it's annoying this has now devolved into another "asm vs hll" kinda thing - the thread had nothing to do with this in the first place.
Posted on 2003-05-01 02:56:08 by f0dder
f0dder,

The bite you got in the first place was for repeatedly trolling the forum with C/C++ when this is an assembler forum. HLLs have their place here as most members write in other languages as well but inflicting one view of one language over other people by trolling in the manner you do is why you get bites like this.

You would be better to make the C/C++ comments in the Crusades that was desiged for this purpose, I well understand why people get pissed off about being trolled in this manner when what they write in is their own choice, not yours, mine or anyone elses.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-05-01 04:10:13 by hutch--

hutch: the criminal kid wrote me "figlio di puttana con figa largha" (even mispelled it :grin: ), which means "son of a b*tch with a large p*ssy".. now tell me if throwing such insults to the mothers of the board's members doesn't go against the rules of this board? He didn't even have the guts to write it in English.. so you all read it.

So, you (or other mods) either ban him or I leave this board.

Yeah, I can't stay anywhere maniacs are allowed, sorry.
This is my last word on this issue.
Posted on 2003-05-01 04:19:25 by Maverick
It's been quite a while since I've done "C/C++ trolling". Furthermore, the comment posted in the original thread had nothing to do with C/C++ at all - it was based on an assumption/(in my case)observation that for a _generic_ memory copy function, you'd be doing small blocks most of the time. This observation holds true for my own programs, whether C, C++, Assembly or pascal, and on a lot of programs including most of the win32asm ones.

My comment was in no way meant to criticize the work of the original author, I'm sure it does a really good job on large memory blocks, which is exactly what he wrote it for - kudos on the work.

However, he asked for opinions about a "generic version". That was what I replied to - from the assumtion that "generic" means "smaller blocks", and from the idea (correct or incorrect, somebody else will have to provide the results) that the large block size optimized routines will have too much overhead for smaller blocks.

Lingos comment, and the whole way this has (d)evolved, was totally unreasonable.
Posted on 2003-05-01 04:22:21 by f0dder
Maverick,

I know different people respond in different ways to wisecracks, mine is not always gracious either but it would be a loss if you did not come back here. Many of us are leaving the forum the way it is at the moment for all sorts of reasons so I guess its epidemic.

If someone called me a "son of a b*tch with a large p*ssy" I am sure I could find some way to take the piss out of it without getting offended and refer them to my own mother who is capable of starting WW4. :tongue:

I wonder what happened to the respect that used to be around here ? I have been called all sorts of things over the years and since I know they are wrong, I take no notice of it. :grin:

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-05-01 04:29:28 by hutch--

Maverick,

I know different people respond in different ways to wisecracks, mine is not always gracious either but it would be a loss if you did not come back here. Many of us are leaving the forum the way it is at the moment for all sorts of reasons so I guess its epidemic.

If someone called me a "son of a b*tch with a large p*ssy" I am sure I could find some way to take the piss out of it without getting offended and refer them to my own mother who is capable of starting WW4. :tongue:
You are wrong, I'm not touched at all by what the stupid kid wrote, but I'd be a bit (enough to leave) if you or other mods allowed this, after censoring things that maybe didn't - those - deserve censorship . As I said, if you or other mods don't take a clear position against anyone gratuitously insulting so badly the relatives of some other member, for a simple matter of principle, there's no point for me anymore to stay here - no grudge meant - just no interest for me anymore.
I have my own principles, strong ones, and I think that a man sometimes must make a choice, it doesn't matter what he chooses, but he cannot elude this choice. Bulianaza/lingo12 this time went more far than other times, involving people that have nothing to do with the board, and going way too far into breaking rules.
So you are free to keep and enjoy your precious Bulianaza if you want, but in this case I will use the little time I could dedicate to this board for something else. Simple as that.. although I will miss some of you, I am also capable of making choices, when it's time to do so.

I wonder what happened to the respect that used to be around here ? I have been called all sorts of things over the years and since I know they are wrong, I take no notice of it. :grin:
Either you're implying that I'm really a son of bitch with a large pussy, or you don't understand what I wrote above: although I don't bother about the kid (otherwise I'd cover him with insults, which would be boring, to say the least), I cannot stay in a board that allows maniacs, and even prefers those to me. Simple as that. Now, if you don't want to understand, that's a whole other matter.. so I better tell you goodbye now maybe.

I'm off unless someone kicks the ass of the sexual maniac Lingo12 (a.k.a. Bulianaza) with a giant ban, for well. I've closed my eyes many times in the past when I've been insulted personally, I know we all break the rules sometimes, but if "bitch with a large pussy" sent to the mother of a member doesn't indignate you (although, I know, it comes from a braindead kid and the indignation is purely virtual - but still serious for a matter of principle anyhow), then I really have lost any interest in remaining here.. no grudge meant of course, I clearly used the term "interest".

The choice is yours now:

1) Keep the stupid kid, and start a trend where saying "bitch with a large pussy" to other members' mothers is de-facto allowed.
This way, as a side effect, you'll lose any other member that will start to think this board is not as it used to be, and thus will lose its interest in remaining here.

or

2) Splat on the ass the little kid, let him grow 3 years older, and take it back when he'll be Kiddo15, and much, much more educated.

I shouldn't insist, so anything different than a extreme 2) for me will be like 1)

--
Take care! Best wishes for your future, and be sure I will keep good memories of the early board's times. :)
Posted on 2003-05-01 04:51:33 by Maverick
Maverick,

Will you email me at my normal email address hutch@movsd.com ?

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2003-05-01 05:05:44 by hutch--
Why hasn't this thread been closed, or even deleted? Regardless of whom the participants are, it has long passed the bounds idiocy/relevancy/maturity etc.
Posted on 2003-05-01 07:20:13 by sluggy
For the less proficient asm programmers of us, atleast myself I find it much easier to explain/proto a problem in pseudo (C/C++) code.
Posted on 2003-05-01 11:22:02 by SFP