I was told it was a limited offer, but it appears that Microchip is still offering free samples. I just grabbed a couple USB chips (16C745/65) as well as a frew other novelties...

Thought id pass it on. You should check out other pages as well for free samples. I believe National Semiconductor sent me some sample when i was working on my Robotics project in University....

Here is the Microchip samples page: http://sample.microchip.com/default.aspx

:alright:
NaN
Posted on 2003-04-29 20:07:02 by NaN
I ordered some micro-controllers and serial eeproms from microchip some time ago and it took about 2 weeks to come because i live in Canada.

I not sure about MicroChip but National Semiconductor allows you to get free samples on a weekly basis.

On my initial request from National they never emailed me a reply confirming my order as they said they would.

When i tried to request again they confirmed on their site that i had an order and also that they filtered for people using multiple emails to try and get numerous parts (probably for resale which is illegal). I guess they were having a problem with that.

So.... if your honest with these places you probably can get many samples of various parts for free to do your experimenting.
Posted on 2003-04-29 20:43:04 by IwasTitan
Do you have the web link off hand to their samples page? I tried quickly but missed... really didnt try to hard tho ;)
Posted on 2003-04-29 20:45:28 by NaN
Their samples pages are for the type of part your looking for.

For example here is the link to the samples for their LM340 series of voltage regulators.

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM340.html#Availability
Posted on 2003-04-29 20:50:09 by IwasTitan
Ya i remember that now.. thats why i missed, i was looking for something like Microchip's page... Thanks.

I dont have any need at the moment, but its good to know for when i do ;)
Posted on 2003-04-29 20:52:47 by NaN
Most firms will sample you a few of their parts. When I need some PICs, I call the local manufacture's representative and have them FedEx to me the next day. Free.

Cool deal, huh?

What is surprising is lots of distributers also will sample out parts. I've gotten free goddies out of Newark and Digi-Key this way. Not many, but some.

Mind you, I do this from and for work, which is a real company that does then buy lots of these parts. If you continue to go to the well and never buy the water it will go dry.

Pretending to be a large company just to get free stuff is most probably fraud, and you don't want to do that. But no harm in saying you are a university student (especially if you are) and are looking for devices for a project and PLEEEESE could you have two?

If you DO have your own home business, great. But you probably already know this if you got one of those.

NaN: Good luck with the PIC for USB. I got a 16C765 'mostly' working from the sample code I found somewhere (I can find the link if you need). The only problem I had was occasionally the USB write to device cycle wouldn't work, but nothing flagged me of a problem, just the wrong (old) data in the PIC. I did a work-around by always having the PIC read me back and sent data. USB Read always worked, so I could compare what it got to what I sent, and re-send if necessary.
Posted on 2003-04-30 00:23:07 by Ernie
Thanks for the tip!

I can add Dallas/Maxim to the list of companies supplying free samples.
I requested some samples from home and got them, no questions asked.

There's lots of interesting devices to pick from.

www.dalsemi.com

/Flyke
Posted on 2003-04-30 14:34:42 by Flyke
what's the average estimated time of arrival for the samples?? mine is still pending...duh.:(
Posted on 2003-05-08 23:00:03 by flotsam
Ya mine as well... im surprised to be honest.. last set of samples i asked for was from NEC and it took only a week or so...

NaN
Posted on 2003-05-09 21:56:12 by NaN
hmm...i'm gonna check their site now. tnx :alright:

hehe btw, i tried this free samples thingy from national semiconductors about the free databook with cd. they did send me one and it only took 2 days :)
Posted on 2003-05-10 03:10:22 by flotsam
woohoo! my samples just arrived...but only two of them:(
oh well, i guess some are out of stock. just have to wait for 'em...:grin:
Posted on 2003-05-19 11:56:07 by flotsam

Ya mine as well... im surprised to be honest.. last set of samples i asked for was from NEC and it took only a week or so...

NaN

NEC offers samples?
Posted on 2003-05-19 12:24:26 by x86asm
Sorry my bad, it was National Semiconductors

( its been 20 days now and still not shipped )

:NaN:
Posted on 2003-05-19 21:01:34 by NaN
Just ordered some samples.
Gonna get started in this PIC world.
Need to build a programmer too.
Actually I have a project at work requiring the use of a PIC so it's both a professional and a personal interest.

/Flyke
Posted on 2003-05-23 04:45:16 by Flyke
Its been approximately one month, and my order is still "pending". It would be simpler to drive 5 min and buy the chips :rolleyes:

Posted on 2003-05-25 17:47:44 by NaN
How about that. I wrote them an email complaining about the time, and all of a sudden, the very next day its being sent!

Posted on 2003-05-26 19:58:16 by NaN
damn! i think i should write to tehm too. i only got 2 out of 5 chips so far...:mad:
Posted on 2003-05-26 20:15:49 by flotsam
Mine shipped about two days after I requested them.
Should arrive tomorrow.

I'm still trying to figure out if my programmer works or not..
It's acting rather odd.

/Flyke
Posted on 2003-05-27 06:56:58 by Flyke
Woe to the flakey PIC programmer. Woe!

I built the first programmed I used, was doing an older 24 pin DIP PIC that needed parallel programming, think it needed both address and data lines held stable. Used a 8255 I/O card to provide the bits, worked well for a while, then got flakey. Plus it never did serial programming.

Trashed it for a PICwriter, which was quickly upgraded from the parallel port to the serial port. Nice little beasty, though now goes for $200 USD (thru Digi-Key), so its the same price as a PIC-START.

Used the PIC START at work for over a year now, its a good basic unit. Prototype only, it doesn't have a variable VCC supply.

Just last week got in the PRO MATE II programmer, which is a production rated unit, plus the AC004004 ICSP (in circuit serial programming) adaptor board, $695 plus $349 for a total of $1044 USD, and I still have to make my own custom bed of nails to hold the circuit.

For those who don't know, ICSP means you can install an unprogrammed PIC into your project and then program it right on the end-use board. Meaning if you need to make a firmware change (or have several similar models) you can manufacturer identicle boards, then custom program them at first electrical test.

Also good for things like custom per unit cal data or other such individual info.

I'll let you know how the PRO MATE goes.
Posted on 2003-05-27 11:34:15 by Ernie
Texas Instruments also offers free samples, however most of them, as everywhere, are in SOIC package.
Posted on 2003-05-27 22:39:08 by masnick[CCCP]