Sounds nice Ernie.
We've got a promate II at work. Still unpacked though.
I built a simple serial programmer during the weekend because I want to learn as much as possible. Was thinking about getting the Warp13a since it's about half the price of the picstart+. But for starters I figured it was worth playing around for a while until I knew if I needed more than the simplest programmer.
I'm a complete PIC beginner.
We've also got an ICE2000 unit at work which is an In Circuit Emulator.
It offers realtime in circuit emulation of the desired processor - you have to buy a processor module and head for every processor you want to use.
I guess I'll be using that for a project pretty soon.
For now I'm just learning as much as possible before our experienced PIC-guy steps in and completes my task - I really want to do it myself in order to learn as much as possible, asking questions along the way if any arise.

/Flyke
Posted on 2003-05-28 01:12:17 by Flyke
"]Texas Instruments also offers free samples, however most of them, as everywhere, are in SOIC package.

I just wanted to say this :)
i use SMDs so i don't care about it.
though that might be cause' only an amateur whould use a leaded dip package if SMD is available.
for example i hate drilling hundreds of holes

MATRIX
Posted on 2004-09-30 08:07:20 by >Matrix<
hi, thx for the link..

could u suggest to me a nice PIC to get for free then play with plz?

i already know ASM for pic16f84 but those are not free, anyway i would like to try something a bit more modern..

i would have liked to get 12c509, as these require no oscilator circuit (which is almost obligatory in my line..)

any suggestion?

what did u guys get?

cheers
Posted on 2005-03-07 15:34:30 by wilson
"]Texas Instruments also offers free samples, however most of them, as everywhere, are in SOIC package.

I just wanted to say this :)
i use SMDs so i don't care about it.
though that might be cause' only an amateur whould use a leaded dip package if SMD is available.
for example i hate drilling hundreds of holes

MATRIX

That is why you use perforated proto boards.

I use DIPs because I dont have the tools, not because I'm an amateur lol
Posted on 2005-03-07 17:08:47 by x86asm
as far as i understand it, the purpose of samples is to introduce new products.
in general, this is not a service to provide components for free.
especially PICs, RAM chips are not expensive anymore.

one time i ordered a crystal oscillator module from phillips, and they sent it free.
another time i ordered a few logic gates and have never received them. (though i did not really needed them)

to contribute to the discussion:

assembly people should build their own programmers (using a low-end programming kit), professional engineers can buy ready made programmers. one who writes software for programming (instead of using free software) has to figure out many tricky, technical things.
Posted on 2005-03-28 04:50:48 by akidd86