Hi all,

In the new release of Visual ASM, I intend to display a list with all api functions AND all user functions that are in the project files. So, I need help from anybody who thinks that given the Function title e.g.
ProcedureName Proc SomeArgumentsHere [,] Param1,Param2, etc as it will be in the project files,

the return string will be as follows:
ProcedureName,Param1,Param2, etc

The Problem is that Iam not familiar with all possible Arguments and thus the parsing will not be fully correct.

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2003-04-30 03:57:36 by akyprian
You could read the info out of the .inc file (ie the file that has the function prototypes). But you also have to remember, you can use TYPEDEFS for the parameter types, and this may make your parsing harder.

Alternatively, you could forget about parsing user files for prototypes, and just include your own datafiles (ie you might put them in an XML format). You wouldn't have to release all these datafiles at once, just release them as you get them finished.
Posted on 2003-04-30 04:02:38 by sluggy
sluggy,

Thanks very much for the reply,

1)I do not want to rely on the function prototypes since there may not be some of them. ( I rarely use function prototypes my self).

2)I do not mind about parameter types, only Parameter names.

So, I think I must parse.

Thanks again,

akyprian
Posted on 2003-04-30 04:10:27 by akyprian
You will have to parse all the separate asm files in the project then, looking for the start of the procs. But of course that will not help you with the API functions, which is why i suggested you ship your own data files. Parsing the file is not a complex job, your editor will be holding it in a buffer in memory. Two difficulties i can think of are:

- working out the scope of a proc, i.e. a proc that is in one included asm file may not be visible from another included asm file, depending on where that proc was declared/proto'd.

- you will have to work out a very smart way to repeatedly parse the files in memory without slowing the machine down. If a user types a new proc, they want to see it appear in the list immediately, but they don't want the price to be an extremely sluggish machine.
Posted on 2003-04-30 08:04:59 by sluggy
sluggy,

It is my mistake, I did not make my self clear:

Everything is finished in Visual ASM, the speed is fantastic. I just want to parse the title of user procedures to get the parameters.

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2003-04-30 08:57:16 by akyprian
I just want to parse the title of user procedures to get the parameters.
That is exactly what i thought you wanted. The only thing you were not clear about is what you want them for, i assume you want them to provide some Visual Studio type functionality, i.e. you are building intellisense, or you want to enable the user to select the function from a dropdown list and have the editor jump to that location in the code.
Posted on 2003-05-01 00:01:03 by sluggy
sluggy,

I do not know whether you downloaded a previous release of Visual ASM from "IDEs: usage & development" of the message board.

i assume you want them to provide some Visual Studio type functionality, i.e. you are building intellisense, or you want to enable the user to select the function from a dropdown list and have the editor jump to that location in the code

I already got the procedure names and you can jump to that location in the code.This works perfectly right now. In the new release which I will upload soon, I am building intellisense so I have to parse the procedure titles to provide the procedure parameters in a tooltip.
Posted on 2003-05-01 02:23:05 by akyprian