I had a good chat yesterday with a good friend of mine who is doing advanced mathematical studies and learnt CAML...
He showed me some codes and I must say that it is relatively understandable and nice to write algorithms and can sometimes result in a way more clear code than its equivalent in C...
We discussed after about how to make win32 programs with it. One of the problems is that CAML is a very strongly typed langage, which means that you never can pass a float to a function waiting for an int (there is some way to get the integer part of the float number, though) and this impossibility to pass variables of different types to a function was a big problem for win32...
The maintainers of the caml win32 lib found a way to work around this, but it is rather ugly... sort of type modifiers everywhere, API names changed (ShowWindow to show_window) etc...
I must say that I don't understand how this type limitation could affect much win32 : most parameters are dword, a long integer, which is a type supported by CAML, I assume... strange...
So, rather than coding a whole win32 app in CAML, I would advocate for only compiling the CAML source to an obj and link it against the GUI program coded in C, ASM, whatever...
Posted on 2003-05-09 03:10:56 by JCP

So, rather than coding a whole win32 app in CAML, I would advocate for only compiling the CAML source to an obj and link it against the GUI program coded in C, ASM, whatever...

Yes,it's a good idea.
Posted on 2003-05-09 05:12:18 by Vortex
Hi

Compiled OCaml is *just* as fast as compiled C++.

Oh my god, this sounds like Porsche saying: "the new 911 is as fast as the 1962 VW Bug .." :)

Bye Miracle
Posted on 2003-05-20 04:13:10 by miracle
Posted on 2003-06-13 11:25:26 by roy
most I can make out of it
looks like a combination between abel and basic to me
Posted on 2005-01-07 17:12:11 by Warsocket
A real coder codes in...

...whatever floats his boat.

Evil. =)
Posted on 2005-01-26 23:55:56 by evil__donkey
A real coder codes in...

...whatever floats his boat.

just what my opinion is.

when it comes to CS and scientific use of programming language in CS i still prefer LISP =)
it may not be the fastest but you can do just about everything you can think of! and even some more. and its better readable than CAML =)

...just my .02 ?...

regards,
enodev
Posted on 2005-01-31 21:15:29 by enodev